Revolution materials

Retep87

Question

Hello everybody,

First off, my name is Peter and I live in the Netherlands. At the moment I am building a 1.5 style kite. I was wondering what material is used right below the leading edge? A friend of mine has the Shockwave, and in that kite it's Mylar. Is it also mylar in the 1.5? I've heard from some people that it's vented material (don't know the name  :oops: ).

Furthermore, I've read on this forum that most of you prefer the kites without the mylar panels. Why are there actually mylar panels in the original revs? Is it just for looks? It seems to me that mylar must stretch less (or more), and because of that the kite will stretch out differently. Not using mylar would mean a different kite  :o .

Thanks a bunch!  :D

Peter Smids

6 answers to this question

Peter,

The mesh looking material that is horizontal to the dacron leading edge material, is the same thing that is used on window screens on buildings or homes. You should be able to find it at most building supply stores. It is available in different grades and/or thicknesses. Use the thinner diameter grade. There is some that is made out of metal, and some made out of nylon or some other synthetic material. Use the synthetic material.

In regards to mylar panels on Revs, you are more likely to see those panels on Rev 1.5 SLEs that most other Rev models. IMHO, I think it is used for cosmetic/looks than anything else. I can't tell much of a difference performance wise. Durability wise, if it is the same grade as is used on Prism dual line kites, then it may get brittle and crack over time or extended UV exposure. I have a 1.5 SLE that has mylar that is 3+ years old and it shows zero signs of cracking. :D

Troy has some good advice but it is difficult to find the mesh material in hardware stores in Europe as very few people have insect screens on  doors and windows.

However, try these guys,  http://www.vliegerop.nl/index.php

They stock just about every type of kite material known to man.

Good hunting.

Hi,

thanks for the replies. Finding the material isn't that hard here in Holland, any decent kiteshop has it  :D .

Anyway, the 1.5 is nearly done! This weekend I'll put on the bridle, the sail is complete  :P . I'll post some pics when I've flown it.

Cya,

Peter

Hi Peter,

You can buy the mesh venting material from most kite shops online who sell kite making materials.

I buy my venting fabric from Kiteworks UK, the guy who runs its name is Keith go to his web site for contact details:

http://www.kiteworks.co.uk/Fabrics.shtml

The material you require is at the bottom of the page.

Good luck.

Ian :D