Brand New

Pignbroke

Hi all, just to give you a update i have been out today on my 2nd flight and i am pleased to say that after the carnage of last week today was a lot better, felt i had much better control and my crashes were not as severe still a long way to go but i think i have the bug and i think this hobby of mine is going to get more expensive in the near fututre.

My only question i have is i was surprised at how much wind i needed to get it off the ground, is that to do with my set up or is that common with the 1.5 SLE?

Any suggestions most welcome.

Pig

Hey Pig,

I'd say its due to your lack of flight time. Your second time out you say? Keep working at it and enjoying yourself. Light wind flying is all technique.

Hmmm... Are you flying with the SLE frame? It is definitely heavy, and while it can be flown in light winds, it requires an extra delicate touch. Because the SLE frame is so stiff, it won't bend easily, the wind will quickly "sheet" off the sail, making presicion difficult. Using a 3 wrap leading edge, or better yet a full Race frame, might serve you better here.

• Like 1

My only question i have is i was surprised at how much wind i needed to get it off the ground, is that to do with my set up or is that common with the 1.5 SLE?

Pig

The SLE leading edge is thick and heavy, but keep using it until you get the really "severe" crashes out of your system. Eventually you'll be able to put it away and probably only use in gale-force winds. You'll often hear experienced flyers say, in jest, that they use them to beat others or to support wind socks.

To make it easier to launch you can grab the top leaders near the handles with your forefingers, effectively shortening the top lines temporarily and giving the kite a more acute angle of attack. Release them once it is airborne.

Another reason it may be more difficult to launch is the difference in wind speed at ground level. The wind speed is, in most cases, slower near the ground than it is 10 feet up. You may have noticed this already, and if so, then wrapping your fingers over the leaders will give you that little extra "up" to launch.

Try desperately not to increase the angle of attack by shortening the top lines. If you do you'll find out the hard way that it is easier to create good habits than to break bad ones.

Be patient, it will happen before you know. Don't give up, don't get frustrated, take frequent breaks, have fun and keep smiling.