Brand New

Pignbroke

Hi all, just bought a Revolution 1.5 SLE and waiting for it to be delivered, my problem is that i have never flown one before and would welcome any practical help, is anyone willing to actually teach me how to get started with the basics, i live in Telford Shropshire but happy to travel within reason.

I can provide lunch and drinks in return for some good hands on training.

Look forward to any help that you can provide.

Brian

Checking the Member Map shows some people around you, not sure if it's within reason or not - that depends on how bad you want it.

I've learned the majority of the time on my own (save for one trip to the USA so far) so it's possible to learn long distance, it just takes longer. By longer I mean it takes longer to reach the same level you see in videos of other people, but it does not take long to be able to keep it in the air, fly around and be happy.

If you cannot get together with anyone, be sure to read everything you can here, check out the videos at http://www.learnkites.com/ and ask lots of questions.

If at all possible I would extend your definition of "within reason" as much as possible just once so you can get a few hours (or more) with someone who can set you on the correct path. Once you are on the right track, then learning from a distance is much quicker and easier.

As an example, just today I spend about 40 minutes on the beach with an entirely competant power kiter who is also capable of flying dual lines, some single lines and has been flying old Rev 2's (with the 2 piece leading edge) on and off for some time now. He had just purchased my spare B-series set from me while he was down at the coast so I was keen to fly with him and introduce him to the current school of though when it comes to flying Revs. He was on a stock 1.5 vented and I was on my vented - the only difference was the leader setup. Just showing him the current thinking regarding tuning and making him fly my Rev on my tuning has made a big difference to his thinking and literally 2 minutes on my handles has changed the way he plans to fly. He was able to fly his stock setup without any crashes (he IS a competant kite flyer in general), but that one little short event has changed everything and I can see some real enthusiasm. I'm not sure how well the lessons of line management, sail loading, recoveries, drills, etc hit home ... it's the 2 minutes of handle time along with the general chat about tuning throughout that has changed everything for him.

Even if you have to drive 2-3 hours just once ... if you do it to get a few hours with someone who can set you straight it will make a huge difference in your life.

For me, even though I could fly with confidence, engage in team flying and had been at it for over 2 years ... there were tiny moments in the USA when I went that made a dramatic impact on my flying, so its ALWAYS worthwhile if you can get together with people from time to time.

• Like 1

Here, here!! Agreed!! There's got to be some of our English friends that are nearby you!! Just the encouragement you get from being around others, who are willing to help, is well worth the time and energy you will put out!!

Learning to fly it shouldn't take too long, but it's a lifetime of fun, trying to master !!! kid_devlish.gif

Welcome to teh dark side!!

Tuning is KEY!! As a new flier myself I was able to get my Rev up and have fun, no problems. BUT after going to rev clinic flying was just better. Part was the tips and techniques, but so was the tuning, tuning the Iquad way..

This was re-inforced last week flying on vacation. I pulled out a lineset and didn't realise it was set-up as std Rev. I flew ok, but did not feel as smooth and precise. I adjusted the leaders a bit to got as close as possible to the new way Iquad tunes and everything changed. The Kite hovered smoother and stayed where I wanted it easier. It's all about tuning for MOAR brake!

Hi all, just bought a Revolution 1.5 SLE and waiting for it to be delivered, my problem is that i have never flown one before and would welcome any practical help, is anyone willing to actually teach me how to get started with the basics, i live in Telford Shropshire but happy to travel within reason.

I can provide lunch and drinks in return for some good hands on training.

Look forward to any help that you can provide.

Brian

Hi Brian,

Next weekend, Sunday morning, we will be on Blackheath in South London for the last time before the Olympics.

When that event is over we will resume our regular Sunday fly.

If you were able to turn up one of the team would, I am sure, be able to help.

Felix

Hi Brian,

Next weekend, Sunday morning, we will be on Blackheath in South London for the last time before the Olympics.

When that event is over we will resume our regular Sunday fly.

If you were able to turn up one of the team would, I am sure, be able to help.

Felix

Brian - If I were you, I'd get out to Blackheath on a Sunday as soon as you get your kite. Felix and his whole team are great, and very friendly. I learned quite a lot from just a couple short afternoon bits of flying with them. Don't be scared off by their great skills, nor scared to fly with them by your own lack of skills (if you are brand new to quad lining). You'll learn more in a few hours flying with & near other rev pilots than you will in days on your own! They are a friendly bunch and a great crew to join for a fly. I wish I could do it again, but my lineset won't reach across the ocean . . . plus it's much easier to lift a pint or two on the heath when you're there . . .

Although I live fairly close to you Blackheath would be a good plan. I remember driving Hours in a Snow blizzard to meet JB in some awefull weather. Could have learnt a lot, however winds were well outside my comfort zone.

I do not fly much, although enjoy it a lot. Dont have much time off work so mainly fly when on holliday. A guy in worcester has asked me to fly with him a couple of times, he only lives a few miles away and I have still not done it. So although I will not say I will not fly with you I can not promise.

Anyway, you can bet the weather will not play ball when we want it to.

Felix and the rest of the Decs who fly at Blackheath are REAL good folks, and used to helping others fly.

Also as I said to you in PM, try to get to some festivals if you can.

Do keep in touch, you never know, I may be able to help.

Hi all, thanks for the reply to my post, would love to come down this Sunday to Blackheath however i have a family gathering this weekend.

Great advice on the festivals and i will check out some dates, my revolution has been sent out and i am tracking it as we speak and if all goes well it should be here tomorrow or Friday so bring on the light (ish) winds for Saturday and who knows i might even get it up without wiping up some poor innocent by stander.

I will let you know how it goes and a big thanks to Felix and the gang for the offer and i would love to meet up with you soon so let me know if you plan any other flying days.

Brian

You're in a bit of a Rev void where you are but re festivals we have Dunstable Downs this weekend, Portsmouth for August bank holiday (this one is sure to be filled with Rev fliers).

Thisis a good resource for UK events and i would recommend contacting the MKF (Midland Kite Fliers) who are a very strong and active kite group. MKF

Failing that there is always someone at Dunstable Downs on Sundays flying Revs, just check here first before making the drive and someone is sure to be there.

I agree that making a drive of a couple of hours to fly with experienced fliers will be well rewarded in saving hours of learning time doing it solo.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Hi all, thanks for the reply to my post, would love to come down this Sunday to Blackheath however i have a family gathering this weekend.

Great advice on the festivals and i will check out some dates, my revolution has been sent out and i am tracking it as we speak and if all goes well it should be here tomorrow or Friday so bring on the light (ish) winds for Saturday and who knows i might even get it up without wiping up some poor innocent by stander.

I will let you know how it goes and a big thanks to Felix and the gang for the offer and i would love to meet up with you soon so let me know if you plan any other flying days.

Brian

Hi Brian,

Once the Olympics are over we will be back on Blackheath most Sundays apart from when we are at festivals.

We generally do a couple of hours in the morning, not a whole day number.

Felix

Actually we may be on Blackheath next Sunday as well; 22nd.

Hi there, going to try and make that one, what time you guys there and where is the best place to park up?

Just to keep you updated the good old Royal Mail has let me down and sent my flying machine to the wrong depot so they are redirecting it today (gutted!!!)

Speak soon

Brian

Hi there, going to try and make that one, what time you guys there and where is the best place to park up?

Just to keep you updated the good old Royal Mail has let me down and sent my flying machine to the wrong depot so they are redirecting it today (gutted!!!)

Speak soon

Brian

Limited parking is available on Prince Charles Road close to where the footpath crosses:-

Find Blackheath on Google Maps

If all is well we would expect to be there from about 10:30am until 1:00pm. Martin Linford may be there a bit earlier and others may stay a bit later but it really is a completely casual meeting.

PM me on Saturday and check weather conditions before travelling.

Felix

Well folks my parcel (1.5 SLE) has arrived and is unpacked, looking at it with a grin on my face :) going to try and get to Blackheath (TBC) on Sunday to meet up with Felix and the gang to hopefully show me the ropes however might sneak out on Saturday to have a fly fly!!

Wish me luck and i will keep you informed of my first flight.

Brian

Well folks my parcel (1.5 SLE) has arrived and is unpacked, looking at it with a grin on my face :) going to try and get to Blackheath (TBC) on Sunday to meet up with Felix and the gang to hopefully show me the ropes however might sneak out on Saturday to have a fly fly!!

Wish me luck and i will keep you informed of my first flight.

Brian

Brian,

Good luck with your Saturday fly. We will have various kites/spar configurations with us on Sunday thanks to one of JBs raffles so we should be able to lend you kit if conditions are not right for your 1.5 SLE.

Felix

Morning, first day ready to get going with my first flight but guess what!! NO WIND not even a gentle breeze, what kind of winds do i need to get my 1.5 SLE up??

Brian

It is a bit light in London this morning but the forecast for tomorrow is c10mph which I think is probably enough for the SLE.

Felix

Hi ho Felix, just to let you know that i cant make the trip tomorrow as my work has just posted me to Scotland next week and i need to travel up tomorrow afternoon ready for Monday, a really big thanks for your kind offer in trying to get me started and hopefully i will be able to meet you and the gang soon.

On a footnote i have driven around 100 miles today to different sites locally and not one of them had eneough wind to get me going, so i have my first new kite and i am grounded.

Damn pesky high pressure Grrrrrrrrr

Brian (Pig)

Hi all, good news and bad news, the good is that i got my first flight today and really enjoyed it the bad is that i was shockingly bad, when i arrived at my local playing fields there was a group of power kiters in the corner and when one of them saw me unpack my Revolution they all came over to watch, i did say that this was my first flight and dont expect a JB performance they laughed as if they didnt believe me it didnt take long for them to realise that i was indeed telling the truth and they wandered off shaking their heads.

Got hold of a decent hover no major problems but as soon as i wanted to go left or right thats when the carnage started, so really do need the help of someone to pass on their tips and knowledge so hopefully Felix we can meet up at some stage.

Will keep you informed of progress.

Pig

Hi all, good news and bad news, the good is that i got my first flight today and really enjoyed it the bad is that i was shockingly bad, when i arrived at my local playing fields there was a group of power kiters in the corner and when one of them saw me unpack my Revolution they all came over to watch, i did say that this was my first flight and dont expect a JB performance they laughed as if they didnt believe me it didnt take long for them to realise that i was indeed telling the truth and they wandered off shaking their heads.

Got hold of a decent hover no major problems but as soon as i wanted to go left or right thats when the carnage started, so really do need the help of someone to pass on their tips and knowledge so hopefully Felix we can meet up at some stage.

Will keep you informed of progress.

Pig

I can remember my first (not) fly. Take off. roll over, land, take off. roll over land...

Oh well...

Felix

I can remember my first (not) fly. Take off. roll over, land, take off. roll over land...

Yeah, that was me too. Had my SLE out with the verticals on the wrong side (you've got them on the BACK of the kite, right?), in xtra vent winds. Up, arc to the right, crash. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. :wacko: Everyone's been there. I have "stop gap" instructions I wrote up for a friend, for her to use until I could get out to fly with her. I'm sure Felix or someone else will get you sorted out nicely, and nothing's beats face to face help, but PM me an email address if you want the stop gap notes. :)