What's the best Rev for me

hkhorns

Question

Founds some great info on kites in this forum but was hoping if I explained a little about me someone could help me choose the right kite for me. I live near Galveston Island, Tx, I have never flown a quad but have experience with a dual and I'm currently learning kitesurfing and land board. When I went to buy my first trick kite (dual) I was wanting something big and was looking to spend 300.00 but my local kite shop recommended that I start off with something smaller because I never flown before so I got the Salsa II and loved it and only spent 80.00. Bad thing is, after 10 hours of flying time I was wanting more. So I guess what I'm asking is, I don't want to buy a Rev and in a month, start wishing I have gotten something better. It look like you can't buy a bad Rev and in long term I might end up with a few of them. I just want to make sure I start off with a good one that will keep me entertained for awhile and let me do everything nice and smooth or quick and smooth and become the Worlds Greatest Rev flyer.JK> My local kite shop does not sale quad kites. So if you could recommend a shop would be great to.

Winds In Galveston..

Over the course of the year typical wind speeds vary from 2 mph to 19 mph (light air to fresh breeze), rarely exceeding 26 mph (strong breeze).

The highest average wind speed of 13 mph (moderate breeze) occurs around May 2, at which time the average daily maximum wind speed is 19 mph (fresh breeze).

The lowest average wind speed of 9 mph (gentle breeze) occurs around August 24, at which time the average daily maximum wind speed is 15 mph (moderate breeze).

Thanks for taking the time to read this and your input and hope to become part of the La familia.

25 answers to this question

Hi Gigem and :sign_welcome: to the forum and "Dark Side" I would suggest a b series if you've got the $ you won't be disappointed and after you get use to that you'll be wanting another one for sure. Maybe several. Its an addiction :P If you need help, don't hesitate to ask ,there's lots of good people on here with a boat load of knowledge. Again Welcome

Michael

G'day and welcome to the dark side.

With kites, I started at the bottom with an EXP. Thats a great entry kite, is tons of fun to fly, can do all the tricks and is a cheap entry into Revs. BUT. It doesn't take long to want a little more; speed, wind range, response. I had mine for 2 months before I got an SLE.

The SLE is the next step up in 1.5's and having had time on the EXP I noticed the difference straight away. Faster, more responsive and with 2 leading edges has a "split personality".

If I had to start over I would go for a JB Signature full sail as you get 2 frames for a bigger wind range from the one kite that has much better flying characteristics. Don't get me wrong I love both my kites, I've got a black race frame for the SLE and I'm getting a Stacking Kit to put them together for something different.

IMHO set your budget and get the one that best fits, and the colors you like as it is your first but most definitely won't be your last.

Rob.

I think everyone here is assuming you will get a 1.5 size, but for a newcomer it helps to be explicit.

Once you choose a 1.5, then you have to choose among the full-sail, semi-vented and full-vented sails. This will depend on the kinds of winds you normally fly in.

Having made that choice, you can then be thinking about frames: 2-, 3-, and 4-wrap (strength/weight/stiffness - which are all inter-related).

You also need to choose a line-length for your flying lines. 120' is the standard for team flying (which you will probably want to try - flying with others is the best way to advance beyond the basics). You may also want some shorter line-sets (80', 50', even 30') eventually.

Perhaps some of the Rev-Forumistas with experience flying under the conditions you describe can expand on these choices.

I just got into the quad thing recently, too. I ended up getting a 1.5 SLE full sail. It came ready to fly with handles, 85' laser pro gold lines, the SLE leading edge and a 3 wrap full frame. That was 3 weeks ago. I had 2 hours on it when I ordered a B series vented and snagless handles. I also got 300' of LPG line and sleeving. I made up 4 linesets this weekend 20', 30', 50', and 120'. The B series comes with 2 full frames and they're the same as all or the 1.5's so you can switch between sails. I got my B with Race Rods (a must) and the travel frame, which is basically a 3 wrap with shorter lengths so that the kite can fold to about 16" long for travel. I figure with race frame, 3 wrap and SLE leading edge and a full sail and vented, I can now fly in almost anything.

If I had to do it over, I would probably go streight for the B series. With 2 kites you can have all 4 frames, though from what I've read here, almost nobody ever uses a 4 wrap so I would have still gotten the travel frame.

The reason I got the SLE is because I theought I was on a budget and it came ready to fly. The B needs lines and still costs more. Turns out that the budget went out the window.

Welcome to the dark side :kid_devlish:

If I had to do it over, I would probably go streight for the B series. With 2 kites you can have all 4 frames, though from what I've read here, almost nobody ever uses a 4 wrap so I would have still gotten the travel frame.

Welcome to the dark side

rexracer's advice is good, but personally I feel that the 4 wrap frame is a must have option with any full vent Rev. The SLE frame is optional for sure ;)

Welcome to the Dark Side!

Sent from my Android smartphone using Tapatalk 2

I think everyone here is assuming you will get a 1.5 size, but for a newcomer it helps to be explicit.

You know, this is an excellent point. We can't assume he's already settled on the 1.5 size. The original post says "nice and smooth or quick and smooth." The 1.5 size (exp/sle/b series/ b series pro) is smooth, very popular, doesn't pull much at all, and plays well with others (team flying). The B2 is a scaled down 1.5. Flies a lot like a 1.5, but quicker. And there are others of course, some are speedy and some have more pull. See the revolution site. What characteristics are you looking for?

Definitely need a stake. Forgot to get one last order. When I get my B Series..... is the rule one stake per kite? ;-)

If the "rule" is one/kite, I'd have a lot of stakes!!! You only "need" one, but two is my choice!! One for me and one to help someone that doesn't have one "yet"!!

Both Kent (AWOC) and Theresa (The Kite Shoppe) are excellent online choices to get your Rev!!

1st - I'd ask you - Are you sure you're gonna fly solo? The B-2 is small and fast, not what I'd consider a "beginners" kite!! Not many have this one and fly with others too!! The EXP is the beginners entry into the Rev world, but I'd recommend a 1.5 SLE full sail as a first kite!! A bit better than an EXP, with more room to grow your skills!! Plus, it gets along well with other fliers if you decide to try team flying!! The 1.5 size has become a sort of standard in team situations!! If your budget allows, consider a 1.5 "B" full sail, it comes with 2 complete frames, better handles, and the sail is made from better quality materials!!

It really comes down to your level of commitment - invest less if you're not serious, invest more if you are!! It's a one time investment in that first kite, I'd go for as nice a kite as I could afford, but the best kite doesn't guarantee your ability to be the best flier!! Only time will do that!! So it's a question of how much time you're willing to put in against how much to spend!!

PS: If you like this and decide to expand your inventory to cover more wind conditions, either the 1.5 SLE or 1.5 "B" offer more models designed to handle different winds from which to choose!!

PSS: I have nothing against the B-2 personally, just in my opinion not the best 1st choice for a 1st quad kite!! But it is "your" decision to make!!

Anyone else??

Thanks for the input everyone. I called a dealer and was going to order the

Revolution B2 Standard Quad Stunt Kite

He told me I should get the EXP. for my 1st Quad. Any thoughts on the 2?

There are really two issues here. The first is Rev 1.5 size vs. smaller Rev 2 size. The second is EXP (which only comes in 1.5 size) vs. B series (which comes in both sizes).

Opinions will vary widely on the size question. Personally, I come down on the side of those who say that it's better to start with a 1.5 size than a 2 size. Either will be fun once you get a little proficiency, but I would expect the 1.5 to be less frustrating at the beginning. It's a tad slower and easier to control.

The EXP vs. B question is simpler. If you want a Rev 2 sized kite, the EXP is not an option. If you decide to go for a 1.5, then the only advantage of the EXP over the B-series is price. If you can afford the B-series, then most of us would say go for it. The EXP is a great kite. I started with one for budget reasons and I still love it. The B comes a bit better equipped and it will take you further.

Thanks again for taking the time and helping me. I just don't want get a kite and a couple of weeks later wish I had gotten the other. Just want to make sure I have a kite that can handle the variety of winds where I live. I thought the B2 was the B that people were talking about, the web site info I went to made it sound like it was the kite for me. What would be the exact B model and specs for my 1st REV. I hear a lot people say if they could start over they would have gotten the B.

I love flying my dual and power. I fly those kites about 10 to 15 hours a week.

It really depends on your wind conditions, but you can't go wrong starting with a 1.5 "B" std (full sail)!! 2 frames, better handles, better construction, better materials!! Only thing you need to add is lines to most packages!! 80'x90# are "normal", 120' are team length!! Nice thing is that if you get a lot of wind, you can get a full vent model in the same colors, and cover almost all the wind conditions that you'll find!! And since you've already got lines, handles, and the basics, you can get the 2nd kite as a "kite only" and save yourself a bunch of money!! Just get a different frame from whatever you get with your first one - ie. get a 4wrap if you get a 2+3 wrap with the standard!! There's lots of combinations of rods and sails, that'll get the most from your kite!! Try some - you'll like it!!

PS: forget just about EVERYTHING you learned flying dualies, when it comes to REVs!! Completely different animal!!

Hey Gigem! I live in Clear Lake and have two Revs. If you would like to test drive them, PM me and we can get together out on the west end of Galveston at one of the pocket parks or something. I have the B Series Pro mid vent and a B Series Pro std.

Brad

Thanks again for taking the time and helping me. I just don't want get a kite and a couple of weeks later wish I had gotten the other.

No matter what kite you choose, no matter how happy you are with it, you will ALWAYS be wanting another one. They are extremely addictive!

Just have fun!

Rob.

If you can see yourself (in a few week's time) thinking of moving up, why not go "up" now. Get the 1.5 "B' series.

I'm having a hard time understanding a dealer suggesting a choice between a "2" and a EXP.

If I'm following right, the OP called a dealer and asked for a B2 (not being clear on the difference between a B and a B2) and the dealer suggested an EXP as a first Rev instead.

Gigem, if you're happy going with a B series 1.5, then the remaining question is which sail (full, mid-vent, or full-vent) and frame combination is most appropriate for Galveston. You might want to wait until you get a chance to fly those B-pro's to decide.