New to the Rev

Bobbike

I'm an old dog trying to learn a new trick, my Rev is 1990 vintage. It has standoffs in the back and from what I see here Rev s don't even come with them anymore. My main question is, do the flying instruction I see here work on my older Rev? Any input will would be a big help

Thanks

Bob B.

Hi Bob...

Welcome back to the Rev world ;) .

I'm sure there are guys in your area that will gladly share their expertise! The inputs and basic hand movements are the same for any Rev. There are subtle differences based on the size and wind speed..... just to keep it simple at this point.

Have fun :) .

Welcome to the addiction. Sounds like your gateway kite is like mine - old, and picked up used. I bought my first one from someone in Maine off an auction site for a good price . . . in case I didn't like flying Revs. Little did I know the power of the dark side . . . . That was . . . . oh quite a few Revs ago (and I've only been at this a couple years). Watch out, once you're hooked, it's over . . . . you'll soon have a kite (or several) without the standoffs.

I think the standoffs you are describing might be "magic sticks," although I don't know if they were available in 1990, and I didn't know they were available for Rev 1s (which is the only Rev that existed in 1990). They were an "aftermarket" add-on from another company. The sticks and related lines on the back of the kite add stiffness to the frame structure, and are (from what I've heard) more common on the east coast. My first rev (a 1.5) came from Maine, so that's at least consistent with what I've heard about where they are more popular. I've also heard them called "training wheels," but I believe some people like them for the added stiffness when the are doing precision flying and tricks. I liked them when I first got the kite because they really did help me avoid getting stuck in unlaunchable positions and taking the "walk of shame" to the end of the lines.

I took them off off the kite after a few flights because I didn't like the extra weight on light wind days. However, I've recently been thinking about putting them back on the kite to see what they're like now that I have a few some many more hours of flight time. If you want to remove the sticks, you can just take the "extra" bridle off and fly without the sticks. I didn't bother with removing the standoff fittings from the vertical spars.

By the way - all the flying instructions here (and over on kitelife and youtube and learnkites) should work with your older Rev. If it's a Rev 1 from 1990, the responses may be a little slower since it's a bigger kite and therefore has a bit more momentum than a 1.5. Best way to learn IMHO - go fly with other people, and get out to fly every chance you get!

Welcome to the dark side!