B handle leaders

alleykat

I have been trying to figure out the proper length of the leaders on the handles that come with the Rev-b as most of the references on here for settings refer to them. Does anyone have the measurements for the leaders so I could make some for my non b handles. Thanks

RevWiz has it right; it really is a personal preference.

But....

I'd start by making the top leaders at least 8 inches long. At least!! Try for 10" if possible. And probably at least 4 inches of length on the bottom leaders. Oh, and these are the lengths you want it to be AFTER you finish tying your knots, so you'll want to start out with at least double the length you'll finish with, because each knot you tie will take away about 1/2" of length off the total.

When tying your knots, tie them from the handle forward, meaning start tying your knots at the end closest to the handle, and work forward. Tie the knots about every 1/4" to 1/2" or so, depending on how flexible your leader material is. I wouldn't bother measuring the knot spacing, but make damn sure that the knots are equal distance when comparing the left and right top and then the left and right bottom leaders - this is important!!

On the bottom leaders, I like to make my knots half the distance between knots compared to the top leaders. This way I can make half-step adjustments. This really is to my personal liking, and isn't necessary.

If you have any questions, PM me and I'll provide pics.

I redid the leaders on my standard 13"s. I was a bit unsure about measurements so I had my first knot starting at the same length as the factory as I knew that I could fly that if it all went to shit. The rest of the knots in my top leaders were about 2cm apart with a total leader length of 25cm. For my bottoms I just tied a second knot in the factory ones as I was doing all the adjusting in the tops.

First, for me, the spacing of 2cm was good to start with but I should've made it a touch smaller to account for line stretch.

Second, I used "Brickies Line" which has a bit of stretch but I didn't have access to any bridle line. They were ok for lighter winds but became a little spongy over that.

Third, it's not so much about the knots or how long your leaders are, it's more the differential you have between top and bottom. Some fly with a little brake, some fly with loads. I have about 12cm at the moment but I still play around with more and less.

Set your leaders up so you can play with it but give it a fair try before you change.

Hope this helps. Rob.

Most use top leaders that span the gap from top to bottom on their handles! That's after knots! Knotting the original on the bottom, 1/2 way works fine too! I've found that moving the bottom, 1 knot is like moving the top 2 knots!! At least that's my experience with them!! Lots of info on the forum under the "Mods" topic!! Have fun playing with a setup that works for you!!