Recommended line lengths

rexracer

Question

I'm getting some #90 line (300 yards) and I plan on making some line sets. I figure about 2 feet extra per line for the sleeved loops on the ends.

My plan at this point since I have the 85' (?) set that came with my 1.5 SLE is a set of 120', a 50', a 30' and I should be able to get one more set at 16-18' depending on how much line the loops take.'

Thoughts or recomendations? The line and sleeving will be coming with my new, full vent B. :blue-cool:

7 answers to this question

I'm getting some #90 line (300 yards) and I plan on making some line sets. I figure about 2 feet extra per line for the sleeved loops on the ends.

My plan at this point since I have the 85' (?) set that came with my 1.5 SLE is a set of 120', a 50', a 30' and I should be able to get one more set at 16-18' depending on how much line the loops take.'

Thoughts or recomendations? The line and sleeving will be coming with my new, full vent B. :blue-cool:

Hope you have chosen quality lines such as Shanti or LaserPro.

For outdoor use I have 20, 30, 50, 80 and 120 (yes, there is a pattern there) line sets in my bag.

The 20's don't see much use, but the rest get flown lots. My choice of length (Laser Pro is my brand) comes down to where I am flying (space available), who I am flying with (what do they have) and if I'm flying solo, what type of flying do I want to do. Because I only fly 90# line the wind speed also has some bearing on my choice of length, but that is partially tied in with what type of flying I want to do.

The 120 is the standard for team flying, but I have flown pairs on my 30, 50 and 80 as well because thats what the other guy had. For solo work, the 120 make for a much bigger window and really slow things down for you so you can think between things - I use them for big slow solo work.

The 80 set is used by me in wind where I want the bigger window but the 120 set creates too much line drag and slows things down too much for what I want to do. I can still fly the 120 in this range, but it's slow and steady and I'm in the mood for a bit more punch to my flying. Obviously this is also my 'short' long line set for when space is an issue.

The 50 set is my long short line set and probably one of my most used lengths for me. This is largely due to the depth of our beaches here (80's would often be a very tight squeeze) as well as as being used for low wind and solo work. They're quick to set up, give a reasonable wind window, still allow 3D work, fit into smaller spaces, get you closer to the objecst or people you're playing with, etc. For me they're just an awesome length to fly solo on.

The 30 set is also a very well used set for me. It makes small spaces into big spaces, is my favourite set for catches, brings you up close and personal for interactions, gives a lot of punch and flair to solo work, super fast to setup, great in light wind, teaches you lots by being able to see all the details of whats happening with the kite and is perfect for urban flying.

Your conditions, preferences and needs may vary so apply to your own conditions.

• Like 1

Looks like my plan might work out well. FYI the line is LPG. I don'treally fly anywhere that I could really use more than 120', and I'm guessing the 50's will get a lot of use. I'm making a set of 4 winders and all I need is bungie cord for a wrap, and the package from FedEx.

Well, I just made my first lineset! I made the 30' set first to try out my new jig. The jig turned out perfectly. 1 wrap is exactly 60" so I guess I did the math right.

Here's a couple of pics. My jig and one of the plexi winders I made, and my first line. Note that it's exactly 30' since the loop fits snug when I'm done. I'll have to see if the line balance notches on the winder work when I bring them out to stretch and equalize.Had to get my new vented B night in there, too.;)

post-3991-13380716751257_thumb.jpg

post-3991-13380717041573_thumb.jpg

Well, I just made my first lineset! I made the 30' set first to try out my new jig. The jig turned out perfectly. 1 wrap is exactly 60" so I guess I did the math right.

Here's a couple of pics. My jig and one of the plexi winders I made, and my first line. Note that it's exactly 30' since the loop fits snug when I'm done. I'll have to see if the line balance notches on the winder work when I bring them out to stretch and equalize.Had to get my new vented B night in there, too.wink.gif

Sounds like you have it figured out pretty good. Next thing you know is your bottom lines will be shorter than the top lines or your left top will be longer than the right top, depends on the side you favor, so the equalizing doesn't last too long, you just learn to compensate along the way without realizing you're compensating. Once you make your first line a stake in the ground should work for making the other 3 lines, unless it's raining out, I like the colors in the night rev.