Loving the Rev 1.5SLE -- More?

Hightray

Question

I purchased a Rev 1.5SLE a little while back and been having an absolute blast with it. I came from 2 line kites and the Rev blows my mind! I lurked around these forums for a few weeks before I got it and now that I am a proud owner, I of course have active questions! I do not have a fellow kite pilot with me, I am enjoying this with my son who is as green as I am.

I have the full sail and I have found at times the wind is a bit potent on some days. What will happen is that some layer or the wind will grab the kite and it will shoot up and pull pretty hard. At times the sail material will "rattle" because of the wind. I have read there are various vented sails. Kind of overwhelming in terms of the variety for me. Sometimes the wind is too light and you know the problem there.

I have tried to find someone who sells just the sail with no luck so far. Or, would I be better served getting another kite? I figured I could just choose a sail based on the wind conditions and go with that.

My main questions are:

1) There appears to be a large variety of venting. What are the effects of this? Is there a good article I can read about this (if this topic is too cumbersome to reply about in a forum).

2) I figure I could change the sail as needed and use the frame between the two. Or, is there a different Rev that is better for higher/lower wind (cost vs. convenience)

3) Wind issues are usually 50% wind is light, 20% the wind is perfect, 30% the wind is too strong.

This is a pretty big investment so I would like to get the best bang for my buck. My wife, as generous as she is, is still shocked from my initial investment, but is like me -- wants to do it right rather than be wanting later and spending 2 times more down the road. kid_content.gif

Thank you all for your time.

The B does come with 2 complete frames, but only if you order it RTF - ready to fly. Otherwise, if you choose the "kite only" option, it will come with one complete frame (2, 3, or 4 wrap of your choice with the option to upgrade to the Race frame) and the sail only. I think the RTF version of the B-Series is definitely the better value - 2 full frames, and the B-Series handles with adjustable leaders are inlcuded.

Concerning the frames.... Don't get a Race and a 2 wrap. These 2 frames are meant for the same wind range! No need for the redundancy just yet. Since you already have a full 3 wrap, get a Race frame and a 4 wrap. Swapping the frames between kites is mildly annoying, but only takes about 5-10 minutes to do out in the field, and will save you some money now.

The B does come with 2 complete frames, but only if you order it RTF - ready to fly. Otherwise, if you choose the "kite only" option, it will come with one complete frame (2, 3, or 4 wrap of your choice with the option to upgrade to the Race frame) and the sail only. I think the RTF version of the B-Series is definitely the better value - 2 full frames, and the B-Series handles with adjustable leaders are inlcuded.

Concerning the frames.... Don't get a Race and a 2 wrap. These 2 frames are meant for the same wind range! No need for the redundancy just yet. Since you already have a full 3 wrap, get a Race frame and a 4 wrap. Swapping the frames between kites is mildly annoying, but only takes about 5-10 minutes to do out in the field, and will save you some money now.

Thanks for that clarification on the 2 wrap. I completely forgot to ask about the similarities of the 2 wrap and race set. I remember a 4 wrap mentioned in an earlier post.

Khal, good catch, I meant "kite only" not "sail only," now edited.

Hightray, considering the price diff is only $35, I'd go with the package. You get two sets of rods instead of one, and you get another set of handles. Handles alone costs about $35 I think? Note though that it's not truly RTF as no line is included.

So that's a B series vented, with black race rods and 4 wraps.

Last I knew 1.5b kite only comes with 2 frames, 1.5b pro comes with 1 frame of your choice. but yes a wind of change has that $1 race frame sale on what I think is one of the 2 frames, so yes, the race and the 4wrap on the 1.5b vent.

Khal, good catch, I meant "kite only" not "sail only," now edited.

Hightray, considering the price diff is only $35, I'd go with the package. You get two sets of rods instead of one, and you get another set of handles. Handles alone costs about $35 I think? Note though that it's not truly RTF as no line is included.

So that's a B series vented, with black race rods and 4 wraps.

Awesome!. Made the purchase. I went with the race rods and 4 wrap. I was mesmerized with the "night" color scheme on the web site so went with that one. I also figured while I was at it I would get the lines. It was not that much to add on since I was getting the full kit with the handles, etc.

Now the hard part is waiting. I went out tonight with the SLE and the wind was a little too brisk for my comfort so I took it down. I finished the evening with my 2.1m para foil.

I have gotten so much excellent information and thanks to Katrina for emailing me as well. You are all a great bunch of folks. Now hopefully in short matter I can start to contribute. Will definitely update when it arrives as well. It is like Chirstmas as a kid. Can't wait!

I have some stakes as well so I am covered. Never thought I would be at this point but what you all say is true that one Rev is just the beginning!

Addiction complete!!! kid_devlish.gif

I think you mean addiction started.

Oh sure, the first few kites (what I'm now calling the gateway kites) are easy. Addiction complete is when you reach the point where you . . . . start selling kites because you can't possibly fly them all and your kids are not quite addicted enough to justify the extra sails. Addiction complete is when you "accidentally" forget to mention a new kite (shipped to work) to your wife and she says "what's that one? I don't think I've seen that one before." Oops. Plus you need to sell kites so you can swap out some of the gateway kites for . . . . more powerfully narcotic kites. The early kites just don't quite satisfy anymore . . . . (although I have to say that lately I've been flying my first Rev quite a bit as it is full sail, now framed with race rods). It's when you look in the garage and think about what you could sell on craigslist to fund more kites . . . . yeah, that's getting to the point where the addiction is complete.

Welcome to the addiction, Hightray . . . .

Thank you everyone for the welcome. I checked my tracking and the kite should be arriving some time today. Sadly, it is 34 degrees with light snow today. (I am north of Colorado Springs) Not expecting weather above 50 until Wednesday.

I will take this time to prim up the kite. So looking forward to it.

Well, I finally beat the curse. Got past the snow, getting sick, and then rain. Finally got clear skies and took the Vented B out for the first flight. It was a little light in wind as I had to put some good effort into altitude but boy.... WHAT A DREAM. It was such a difference in flight. Lighter, not stiff like the SLE. Made me feel like I could "finesse" it more, it had give. I can't wait to put the lighter frame in my full sail.

What an awesome night. I left the park feeling happy. What an awesome product that can make you leave happy right?

Thanks everyone for your help with selecting this kite. Now I have a lot of options and conditions covered with my 1.5 SLE and my Vented B.

Ahh, it feels good! smile.gif