old rev I set up

mrmadbird

Question

Hello folks,

To give you a little background of what im dealing with, I'm flying on a 1988 rev I using home made leaders (not bridle string, some nylong rope actually, rather thick for leaders imo) and the old style clips on 130' most likely 90# (not positive on that, the lines are as old as the kite).

My question is do the bridle string leaders and lack of clips make a large difference in preformance of the kite? I also read somewhere that you can change the bridle over to a newer tied setup and it can give you a little more preformance out of it. Will I notice a large difference in making these changes or is too negligible to mention?

Cheers,

Sean

21 answers to this question

The newer bridles are made from the newer materials and stretch a lot less!! You might have one big problem on your hands if you change bridles - you'll need to equalize your lines! Top and bottom lines should be of an equal length, if not, adjust to make them the same!! While you're at it, you can get rid of the clips too! They just add extra weight to your setup!! Using larkshead knots is quick, easy, and dependable, and doesn't add any weight to your rig!

While changing these items will improve the kite's performance, they still don't make it handle like a 1.5!! I know, I have a 1 also!! It's a completely different animal to fly than my 1.5s! So don't make these changes expecting the kite to change personality, you got what you got!! Can it be improved? - sure!! But all the changes in the world of Rev, won't make it handle like a 1.5!! IMHO!!

PS: make some good leaders out of the bridle line you save after you change bridles on the kite!! (if you decide to go that route)!

kid_devlish.gif

The newer bridles are made from the newer materials and stretch a lot less!! You might have one big problem on your hands if you change bridles - you'll need to equalize your lines! Top and bottom lines should be of an equal length, if not, adjust to make them the same!! While you're at it, you can get rid of the clips too! They just add extra weight to your setup!! Using larkshead knots is quick, easy, and dependable, and doesn't add any weight to your rig!

While changing these items will improve the kite's performance, they still don't make it handle like a 1.5!! I know, I have a 1 also!! It's a completely different animal to fly than my 1.5s! So don't make these changes expecting the kite to change personality, you got what you got!! Can it be improved? - sure!! But all the changes in the world of Rev, won't make it handle like a 1.5!! IMHO!!

PS: make some good leaders out of the bridle line you save after you change bridles on the kite!! (if you decide to go that route)!

Luckly my lines are already equal length lines (compensating with the leaders to get my 7' of difference for the Rev I). I'm looking to get a little more low wind preformance out of it so I'm trying to think of ways to add a little more omph to those situations. Ofcourse I'm not expecting a change in personality, it just wouldnt feel the same ;). Thanks for the reply so far.

If you're looking for better low wind performance, a 2 wrap or race frame will lighten things up!! Just be careful in gusty conditions, that's a big sail to absorb any shocks to your frame!! I went to the race frame, but still didn't get as low a wind performance as I was looking for, so I got a 1.5 SUL! A set of 50# lines and if it ain't flying, not a lot will!!

Hello folks,

To give you a little background of what im dealing with, I'm flying on a 1988 rev I using home made leaders (not bridle string, some nylong rope actually, rather thick for leaders imo) and the old style clips on 130' most likely 90# (not positive on that, the lines are as old as the kite).

My question is do the bridle string leaders and lack of clips make a large difference in preformance of the kite? I also read somewhere that you can change the bridle over to a newer tied setup and it can give you a little more preformance out of it. Will I notice a large difference in making these changes or is too negligible to mention?

Cheers,

Sean

Just to clarify any dating misunderstandings for Revolution kites.

Revolution never placed dates on any of there production Revolutions.

If you see ©1988 on the back this means the revolution was copyrighted in 1988.

If this is followed by "Neos Omega - Patent Pending" then it was made in 1988.

If this is followed by "Revolution - Patent Pending" then it was made between 1989 and 1991.

If this is followed by "Revolution - US Patent #4,892,272" then it was made in 1991 or later.

As for the bridle, there is a difference in that the older ones required flying lines with a difference of about 7 inches from top to bottom. This type of bridle was used from 1988 to 1992. Some time in 1992 the bridle was changed to use equal length fly lines. If I recall correctly the newer bridle was a bit longer, further away from the sail. Both of these bridle were thick and black and did have a tendency to stretch. Black bridles that had seen a lot of sun also had a tendency to stretch excessively. All the bridles where later changed to a more standard bridle line which has a core of Spectra with outer cover of something Dacron. I am not quite sure what it really is.

I would suggest that you purchase a new "REV I" bridle and equalize your lines.

You don't need those old clips on the lines. For the handles add pig-tails to replace the clips. You will find pictures of pigtail on handles in various thread on this forum.

Just to clarify any dating misunderstandings for Revolution kites.

Revolution never placed dates on any of there production Revolutions.

If you see ©1988 on the back this means the revolution was copyrighted in 1988.

If this is followed by "Neos Omega - Patent Pending" then it was made in 1988.

If this is followed by "Revolution - Patent Pending" then it was made between 1989 and 1991.

If this is followed by "Revolution - US Patent #4,892,272" then it was made in 1991 or later.

As for the bridle, there is a difference in that the older ones required flying lines with a difference of about 7 inches from top to bottom. This type of bridle was used from 1988 to 1992. Some time in 1992 the bridle was changed to use equal length fly lines. If I recall correctly the newer bridle was a bit longer, further away from the sail. Both of these bridle were thick and black and did have a tendency to stretch. Black bridles that had seen a lot of sun also had a tendency to stretch excessively. All the bridles where later changed to a more standard bridle line which has a core of Spectra with outer cover of something Dacron. I am not quite sure what it really is.

I would suggest that you purchase a new "REV I" bridle and equalize your lines.

You don't need those old clips on the lines. For the handles add pig-tails to replace the clips. You will find pictures of pigtail on handles in various thread on this forum.

Ah! I have been looking for clarification on that for a long time now, thanks a bundle!! It is a Neos Omega.

That pretty much answers my question, I will look into getting a new bridle and see how it goes from there.

Thank you all for your time and replies, It helped a ton.

Sean

Another of the rare Neos Omega has turned up.

There were approximately 400 Neos Omega manufactured.

I was incorrect in stating previously the the Neo Omega was made in 1988. Only the pre-production run was delivered in 1988. The production run was delivered first in 1989.

It is possible some were in fact built in very late 1988, however I am sure no one actually knows which ones.

The change over to the Revolution Logo was in 1989.

Does your Neos Omega have a hand written number on the back? If so what is it?

Personally, I would fly the Neos Omega only on special occasions.

I might suggest purchasing a newer Rev to learn and practice with.

Sorry for the late reply, things got hectic the past few days. As far as I know there are no hand written numbers on the kite. At a guess Im thinking that it may be a post-production run because it has the Revolution logo on it. To the best of my knowledge it was purchased in St. Augustine Florida at a kite shop there that is no longer in business. There is also a chance that it may have been purchased in CA, not sure of the location though. I will post you some pictures tomorrow when my camera is charged up.

That is an odd one. Revolution Logo with a Neo Omega tab. That one was obviously made in mid 1989.

So, it is not really a NeoOmega because it has the Revolution logo on the front, not the NeoOmega Logo on the front.

You will find a bunch of NeosOmega photos in this thread http://www.revkites.com/forum/topic/2504-neos-omega-colors/

That is an odd one. Revolution Logo with a Neo Omega tab. That one was obviously made in mid 1989.

So, it is not really a NeoOmega because it has the Revolution logo on the front, not the NeoOmega Logo on the front.

You will find a bunch of NeosOmega photos in this thread http://www.revkites....s-omega-colors/

Ah well that clears that up. Good to know the time period it came from. I assume it must have been produced shortly after the switch over from Neos to Rev logo. Thanks for the info m8. I can now fly with knowledge of what I am flying hehe.

Another of the rare Neos Omega has turned up.

There were approximately 400 Neos Omega manufactured.

I was incorrect in stating previously the the Neo Omega was made in 1988. Only the pre-production run was delivered in 1988. The production run was delivered first in 1989.

It is possible some were in fact built in very late 1988, however I am sure no one actually knows which ones.

The change over to the Revolution Logo was in 1989.

Does your Neos Omega have a hand written number on the back? If so what is it?

Personally, I would fly the Neos Omega only on special occasions.

I might suggest purchasing a newer Rev to learn and practice with.

I have a pink one I bought brand new

John gets a bit exited when another Neos turns up.

How many do you recon you know aboutnow John?

Maybe if somone wants a bit of history they might do a swap with Oats for a kite that might suit his needs better. If he was interested of course.

Maybe if somone wants a bit of history they might do a swap with Oats for a kite that might suit his needs better. If he was interested of course.

I'm afraid it may be too late for anyone to want this old girl, it has already made it through the ground loving phase and I can now fly it pretty scott free. Few rods and a few patches later I think I have come to enjoy the way it lumbers along :blushing:.

Cheers!

Perceptions!! Funny, when there was only a choice of either a Rev1 or 2, we didn't think of them as "lumbering"!! Now, with all the choices, in so many sizes, and all the improvements, they're "lumbering"! Different, yes!! It's not the same as a 1.5, but it does have it's place as a different flying experience!!

PS: Isn't the Zen based on the Rev 1 format?? confused_1.gif

Perceptions!! Funny, when there was only a choice of either a Rev1 or 2, we didn't think of them as "lumbering"!! Now, with all the choices, in so many sizes, and all the improvements, they're "lumbering"! Different, yes!! It's not the same as a 1.5, but it does have it's place as a different flying experience!!

PS: Isn't the Zen based on the Rev 1 format?? confused_1.gif

For me I only had the choice of a REV I. The II came a year later.

You could say ZEN is based on the REV I or you could it is a REV 1.5 JB Pro scaled up. Anyway it uses the exact same rods as the REV I.

Place a REV I on top of a ZEN and you will see a difference in the sail shape. The bridle is also heavily modified.

For me I only had the choice of a REV I. The II came a year later.

You could say ZEN is based on the REV I or you could it is a REV 1.5 JB Pro scaled up. Anyway it uses the exact same rods as the REV I.

Place a REV I on top of a ZEN and you will see a difference in the sail shape. The bridle is also heavily modified.

Thanks RevWizard, already done!! Just using it as an example of how our perceptions change over time!! Still fly my 1, had it for 13 - 14 years!!

I havent gotten the privilege of flying any of the others yet, but the coastal winds here tend to be lower when I fly in the evenings, so it often feels heavy using the 4 wraps (thats where I picked up the lumbering part hehe), but the odd thing is I have come to hope for constant low wind speed over one that is a little higher. I found you can do so much more when there isnt a large amount of wind, on the Rev I at least.