Reframing a Rev1

belgarum

Question

I recently picked up a Rev 1 Segwick on ebay at a good price - not sure the seller knew excactly what he was selling as he didn't describe it as a Rev1 nor a Segwick (just a "Rev") and the pictures had the verticals on the wrong side.

I am looking to carry out some budget re-framing of the LE and seek some advice/suggestions/experience as to the "best" combination that retains the pair of 1/4inch 4-wraps that are currently in the verticals.

I was thinking of either:

a - 4 wrap centre with 3 wrap outer spars and the keeping the 4 wrap verticals - which gives me the option of a complete 4 wrap LE (with 3 wrap verticals)

or

b - a complete 3 wrap LE (retaining the 4 wraps in the verticals)

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

JP

4 answers to this question

I recently picked up a Rev 1 Segwick on ebay at a good price - not sure the seller knew excactly what he was selling as he didn't describe it as a Rev1 nor a Segwick (just a "Rev") and the pictures had the verticals on the wrong side.

I am looking to carry out some budget re-framing of the LE and seek some advice/suggestions/experience as to the "best" combination that retains the pair of 1/4inch 4-wraps that are currently in the verticals.

I was thinking of either:

a - 4 wrap centre with 3 wrap outer spars and the keeping the 4 wrap verticals - which gives me the option of a complete 4 wrap LE (with 3 wrap verticals)

or

b - a complete 3 wrap LE (retaining the 4 wraps in the verticals)

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

JP

Did the kite not come with a full leading edge?

In any case, I think a 3 wrap LE would be the way to go. The four wrap is fairly heavy, and depending on how light of wind you are flying in, you may have difficulty.

I'm not a big fan of Green Race just out of personal preference. Too squishy/absorbent for my liking.

The regular race rods are too flexible for such a long leading edge.

Watty - I think it came with the SLE LE and he's looking for the best combo to replace it!! I agree on the black race, I've got them and am always feeling the wind to see if it's getting too strong!! I've also got the old 4 wrap LE that came with it, it's ok for most purposes, but a 3 wrap would probably be most versatile!! Never have tried the "greenies" in that sail!!

Normally you would use the 4 wrap rods for the Rev I, or for the lightest of winds (under 5mph), go to the 2 wrap. The 3 wrap can be a bit delicate with that long leading edge and if the winds pick up, you would want the extra strength of the 4's. If you are flying in winds 10mph and less, the 3 wrap will work but above that, you may be breaking some rods.

Just my opinion of course...