WSIKF 2012

lamrith

@lamrith

Get comfy with the Blast and I'll bring one of mine out with me for some play time. The I love speed and the power is fine for me - I come from a power kite background.

@bart

Less jibba jabba and more action, get yer :censored: down there and get in the flying line with me :P

(assuming you're the REAL bart)

@lamrith

Get comfy with the Blast and I'll bring one of mine out with me for some play time. The I love speed and the power is fine for me - I come from a power kite background.

@bart

Less jibba jabba and more action, get yer censored.gif down there and get in the flying line with me tongue.gif

(assuming you're the REAL bart)

Bart - the gauntlet is thrown down!! If Steven is coming all the way from South Africa, then you gotta come from Western Canada!! And this be his 2nd trip this year!!! No Excuses!!

I don't respond to dares or challenges! I make no promises about attending. Lots to do here before then and August is coming up fast. Not sure where the year is going, but it's moving quick. Too quick.

Bart

@kwmf - I will see what I can do. I do fly the blast better (imho) than the 1.5. Just hold hovers cleaner it seems, still ned work on the inverteds. Motion we will have to see!! sign_kitelife.gif

If I read it correctly you will be done with your garage project within three weeks, plenty of time...

-Alden

Not sure about Garage project.?

It's more the lack of time with work, and lack of winds. I have had very little practice time in months, I think I had one full day since WCRC. Aside from that, just low wind shortlining last week for a couple hours..

I have a long way to go before I am ready to fly formation.

Since my time will be limited I'm not going to be pacing myself so I may be delerious from the sun, wind, flying or exhaustion .... don't let that stop you - please come say hi, chat and fly with me ... no sympathy for me, I will rest once I'm home.

Steven

Now WHO exactly did you think was going to have sympathy for you, getting to spend 10 days flying at WSIKF? :lol: Sun doesn't set till 8:23 on August 17. Twilight gives another 20 min? Then finger lights...

You were there in March and it snowed. It won't snow in August (well, probably not), but just fair warning, pack layers. This ain't Cali.

JB, any official word on which field we get (relegated to) ?

So I'm very much wanting to do this again . . . I may have to talk to T about camping . . . It will be sans family this year if I can get out there . . . so more time flying . . . If Steven from SA can make it, then this Steve from the US doesn't have much of an excuse (except work is not cooperating for me right now . . . too much work, too little time).

I'll bring a Blast if I can make it . . . and I'm willing to try team with it just for fun. I think I broke out the Shockwave last year for a bit.

I'll bet revs will get the middle field again . . . (furthest from the porta potties and the parking). However, IIRC, last year we (mostly) occupied fields 2 & 4 as well.

Not sure about Garage project.?

It's more the lack of time with work, and lack of winds. I have had very little practice time in months, I think I had one full day since WCRC. Aside from that, just low wind shortlining last week for a couple hours..

I have a long way to go before I am ready to fly formation.

Sorry, garage project was targeted at Bart.

For the hover I have two words, Martin Linford. He helped me at WSIKF two years ago. Taught me what nobody else could...

-Alden

Obviously I'm not JB.... :blink:

but I think Scott Davis told me it will be Field B when we were at LC. However, the map is still from 2011 and shows the Rev field just south of B

post-123-13420760939843_thumb.gif

sent you an e-mail with an address for Kris. You must have gone thru a tunnel and I lost you!

I'm not JB either, but at the Team Boot Camp John said that Revs would be on field B this year. There are a few short events scheduled for that field, so we will need to stop for those times. Good opportunity for water, food and sun screen.

Ohhh man, should not have brought up the blast, what have I started? Pressure on now, I better start hitting the park more after work... Hopefully the wind will Cooperate!

Well, I'd put my chances of being there at about 40%, and then probably 95% of my time will be on 1.5s, so you are pretty safe . . . .

I wonder if Larry realizes that he will be flying team by the end of the week? I am sure Alden and I can find our moment to surround him on both sides and show him the true ways of the dark side....... :big_starwars:

Only be there that last few days (OOoopps should have kept that a secret). No worries Walt, JB and TK already did that at the last mini clinic!! I am interested in flying team, but have not put in enough handle time yet, crossing fingers to get some time in before then.

There's nothing like WSIKF to get you comfortable flying team, trust me! :) We just got back from LB and I'm already looking forward to the drive to go back! Steven's trip kinda puts things in perspective... :) Can't wait to see and fly with you all again!

Here's the simple secret to team flying,and the reason I had no issue with it in March...

Don't think of it as team flying - fly your own kite and put it where it needs to be, the rest will just work out B)

Seriously, team flying is just everyone flying their own kite where it needs to go ... it's only when you look at it from a spectator perspective you start thinking "holy :censored: "

When you look at it from a pilot perspective the only kite you have to worry about it your own. Beyond that, it's just little things like spacing, timing and where NOT to go if you've got a bunch of people following you. When you're in a line, just have faith that the move WILL work out if you put the kite where it needs to be.

It really is that simple - be the pilot, not the spectator.

Here's the simple secret to team flying,and the reason I had no issue with it in March...

Don't think of it as team flying - fly your own kite and put it where it needs to be, the rest will just work out cool.gif

Seriously, team flying is just everyone flying their own kite where it needs to go ... it's only when you look at it from a spectator perspective you start thinking "holy censored.gif "

When you look at it from a pilot perspective the only kite you have to worry about it your own. Beyond that, it's just little things like spacing, timing and where NOT to go if you've got a bunch of people following you. When you're in a line, just have faith that the move WILL work out if you put the kite where it needs to be.

It really is that simple - be the pilot, not the spectator.

This is true and the same theory I suggested for new people getting in those big grids. Doesn't matter the size of the grid, you still fly your kite and be mindful of the couple kites around you to keep your position. The rest of the grid takes care of itself from the spectator perspective.

I'll also add about flying with others that you do need to learn not to look at your lines which may or may not be twisted up with a bunch of other lines during a move. Taking a look at that big twist is sometimes enough to create a seconds panic and have your kite fall out of the air at the wrong time and/or place which can cause a lot of untangling on the ground.

Bart

Obviously I'm not JB.... blink.gif

but I think Scott Davis told me it will be Field B when we were at LC. However, the map is still from 2011 and shows the Rev field just south of B

post-123-13420760939843_thumb.gif

sent you an e-mail with an address for Kris. You must have gone thru a tunnel and I lost you!

I was on the fence about the location last year compared to 2010. At the end of the day I actually preferred the 2010 location even if it was out of the way. It was nice to have our own sound system and free reign all day without having to move out of the way. Washrooms were also closer. I can appreciate the idea that being closer gives one the sense of being more involved with the festival however at the end of the day the flying and space was more important to me than being closer and crowded.

Bart

Some of us participate in WSKIF events such as handcrafted, Foster Grandparents, the four mass ascensions and the banner parade on Saturday. Being at Sid Snyder was great, with our own sound and own field, but it did make it difficult to do the other the activities. Also, there were complaints from some of the venders who thought that us being way down the beach hurt their business. Some thought that we had a large crowd down there. As I recall, that was not the case.

Field B will allow the spectators to enjoy the Rev activity as well as the rest of the festival without making the long trip down the beach. When thing are slow on field A, there will surely be Rev fliers making patterns in the sky on field B for all to enjoy.

Jim, I would think you would excel at being a Foster Grandparent. And a Foster Parent, and a Foster Kite Flier, etc., etc.... kid_smartass.gif

-Alden

Don't know about all that, but I certainly excel at Foster Farms chicken (wings and thighs preferred) and Foster's Old Fashioned Freeze (it's been said that I can put my face under a soft serve and not miss any, probably not true).

Don't know about all that, but I certainly excel at Foster Farms chicken (wings and thighs preferred) and Foster's Old Fashioned Freeze (it's been said that I can put my face under a soft serve and not miss any, probably not true).

I hear you make a pretty big can of beer too.

-Alden

Some of us participate in WSKIF events such as handcrafted, Foster Grandparents, the four mass ascensions and the banner parade on Saturday. Being at Sid Snyder was great, with our own sound and own field, but it did make it difficult to do the other the activities. Also, there were complaints from some of the venders who thought that us being way down the beach hurt their business. Some thought that we had a large crowd down there. As I recall, that was not the case.

Field B will allow the spectators to enjoy the Rev activity as well as the rest of the festival without making the long trip down the beach. When thing are slow on field A, there will surely be Rev fliers making patterns in the sky on field B for all to enjoy.

It was great to see you and Lynn this weekend! Looking forward to WSKIF :) see you soon! Hugs, T