Which frames for which wind ?

simon109

Question

6 answers to this question

Can't say I've seen a "guide" to rod choices!! It really is a "feel" developed over time!! You go out, feel the wind, choose a rod set, fly!! Change as needed!! Everyone has a certain something that they are looking for!! About the only thing I can tell you is to look at your LE, if it's flexing too much, change to a stronger set of rods!! Inversely, if you have no flex, try lighter!! So let experience be your guide!!

PS:

You'll learn a lot experimenting with the different combos!!! Good luck!!

Hi,

Is there a guide anywhere for selecting the correct frame for the wind conditions ? I know there's a guide under the specs but would be handy to have some sort of file I could download to keep in my kite bag :blushing:

Thanks.

I'll just leave this here

http://revkites.com/...tion-spars-rods

There's really no 'correct' frame for a given wind condition. Anything is up to a person's taste, but this link will give you the idea as to what each rod does.

• Like 1

Okay, I'll attempt to give you a general guide, but it won't include windspeeds because I never know the windspeed. Obviously if the wind is really light, you'll know to go with a 2 wrap or race rods. (race rods are just slightly heavier than 2s and pretty much replace them.) But then say the wind picks up, and now your leading edge is bending quite a bit, and your kite is pulling hard. Time to switch to 3 wraps. Or if you like, you could change kites instead, going to a vented with 2s or race. Same guidelines with your vented: If the LE is bowed a lot and it's pulling, time to change to a stiffer rod. Stiffer rods will keep the sail flatter, which will depower the kite a bit.

When you get out there in the field you just have to make a guess and see how it feels.  If in doubt, just put up whatever is in the kite already, and change if it's not right.  As others have said, it's a matter of preference.  Some use 3s whenever possible, even in light wind, some tend toward race as much as they can.  Lately I'm liking 3s in the LE and race for verticals, go figure.  4s are for when it's really blowing, you'll know when it's time for those.  You won't use them in a standard, unless you don't have a mid or full vent to change to.  

... just put up whatever is in the kite already, and change if it's not right..

That's pretty much what I do. There is so much overlap for when you can use what frameset, I don't worry about it unless I'm having difficulty staying airborne, or seeing a lot of flex in the kite.

What I have found myself doing more and more is just running race rods in everything and if it seems like to

much I do go my "Green Race Rods" for the added strength..... I do not really do the double up thing in the

leading edge very much..... I think rod selection is more of what works for the flier and the way they like to have

there sail feel, this is a tough one for sure cause there is no real right and wrong it's all about how you the flier

want the kite to feel...... Benblue_cool.gifblue_cool.gifblue_cool.gif just my two cents

Just to add to the list of possibilities .... I tend to try stick to 1 frame in each sail and change sail instead of frames as I go up or down the wind range.

Std - race

Mid - 3 wrap (change to race if I need a little extra on the low end)

Vent - 3 wrap (or 4 wrap if thats what I had in last)

Xtra - 3 wrap (or 4 if I'm pushing it)

Before I had the Xtra I would go to a 4 wrap frame if I felt I needed more on the upper end of the wind range. My current approach is just to change sails instead of frames, it's just neater for me to manage that way (at least in my mind).

Beyond that, I will put up the sail I thing I need on one of the above frames - if I need/want to stick on the same sail I adjust frame based on if I need more or less flex.