Rev b series question: where to install the weights and wear/tear

c2thew

Question

Rev b series questions

1. Is this what the weight kit looks like? Also how and where would you attach it? I'm assuming close to the bottom leading edge caps correct? I also read that you can use .22 bullet shells to add weight

100_0242.jpg

2. Where is there the most wear and tear on a rev kite? Coming from Dual line kites, the wear and tear would come from the upper spreader which comes in contact with the sail. I just want to see if I should put some tape on the b series as a preventative measure.

3. I have 120 foot lines with the b series, but for kite party rev flys; what length do they use? Should I shorten my lineset? ( i know how to equalize my own set) Or purchase another one? Lastly, how does one measure 85 feet of line as a reference point for building a lineset? Do you use a tennis court to gather measure lines since tennis courts are usually a standard size?

4. I have quite a bit of wrinkles in the sail. Are there ways to smooth them out or should I just leave it be?

Thanks in advance!

11 answers to this question

Not sure on what the weights look like, never had any, but from what I've read, the string hangs out the tip's end cap!! That puts the weight inside the rod and if you pull any excess line out, then the weights shouldn't move around!! Haven't noticed any excessive wear anywhere, the only wear points would be where the vertical rods contact the sail. On Pro series kites you can get wear strips on your sail!

Don't shorten those 120's, buy another set or make some! 120's are the standard for team flying, and to shorten them is almost criminal!! Any other length can either be made or bought!!

Wrinkles?? Tighten the bungees some, but don't over tighten them!! Too tight will stretch the sail even faster!!

The "B" is a great learning tool, I hope you got 2, a standard full sail and a full vent!! That way you'll be covered in most wind conditions!!

Not sure on what the weights look like, never had any, but from what I've read, the string hangs out the tip's end cap!! That puts the weight inside the rod and if you pull any excess line out, then the weights shouldn't move around!! Haven't noticed any excessive wear anywhere, the only wear points would be where the vertical rods contact the sail. On Pro series kites you can get wear strips on your sail!

Don't shorten those 120's, buy another set or make some! 120's are the standard for team flying, and to shorten them is almost criminal!! Any other length can either be made or bought!!

Wrinkles?? Tighten the bungees some, but don't over tighten them!! Too tight will stretch the sail even faster!!

The "B" is a great learning tool, I hope you got 2, a standard full sail and a full vent!! That way you'll be covered in most wind conditions!!

yup just tried putting the weight in the tip cap and let the string hang out. Only problem is that this doesn't seem to add much mass at all. (i think i will look into using .22 shells just as an experiment.)

I'll look into adding tedlar tape on the lower vertical rods but i need to get some experience just to find out at what critical point the rub on the sail the rub will start to develop a hole.

thanks for the tip on keeping the lineset as it is.

time to find a place where i'll be able to get consistent wind to try this kite out! thanks for the replies

you live in Los Angeles right?, so you have one of the best places on earth to fly and practice,... try Huntington Beach for smooth winds off of the ocean, unbelievable place, but it will spoil you for most every other location by comparison!

the weight should be free to slide in the tube, so the mass can have more effect during a sudden command. Almost no one uses them though, it's counterproductive to add weight where I come from, you may feel the same way eventually. but try 'em and see what impact they have on flight. I'm guessing is it's only going to have an recognizable impact (be most noticeable) when you have slack lines into sudden changes of direction.

You should read the post under modifications,"Stick on wear strips" before going with tedlar on your sail,I just bought some Insignia tape, works great and if your flying in the sand, you might try it instead :)

Michael

You should read the post under modifications,"Stick on wear strips" before going with tedlar on your sail,I just bought some Insignia tape, works great and if your flying in the sand, you might try it instead :)

Michael

I'll go search for that thread. Thanks for that.

yes I'm in los angeles however I tend to stay in the valley area as the beach is about a 45 minute drive from me. Thanks for the help

question 3, how does one measure, 100' tape measure should get you to 85',, if you don't have a tape measure walk it off, a pace is 3' 29 paces will get you close enough to 85'

question 4, wrinkles, if they are wrinkles hose the kite off and let it dry, if it's creases, those are probably there forever. if the kite goes back in the sleeve every time treat it like wrapping your most special christmas gift to someone.

looks like all the other questions was answered.

question 3, how does one measure, 100' tape measure should get you to 85',, if you don't have a tape measure walk it off, a pace is 3' 29 paces will get you close enough to 85'

question 4, wrinkles, if they are wrinkles hose the kite off and let it dry, if it's creases, those are probably there forever. if the kite goes back in the sleeve every time treat it like wrapping your most special christmas gift to someone.

looks like all the other questions was answered.

liking this forum already!

http://www.revkites.com/forum/topic/5391-stick-on-wear-strips/page__p__85926__hl__Stick on wear strips__fromsearch__1entry85926

found the thread. Anyone have pictures of which area specifically suffers the wear and tear?

Welcome to the forum c2thew!

The area that suffers the wear and tear is the area immediately behind the vertical spars (back side of the sail). Have your wear strip follow the line of both vertical spars and you're set.

Concerning the weights..... 2 grams is plenty. It's like REVflyer says, its about where the weight is being added! Might not feel like it, but unlike a dual line kite, these weights aren't going on the keel, they are going at the wingtips. This gives them more action against the frame then their paltry 2 grams would suggest. For example, place a 2lb. weight near your shoulder, and raise your arm. Not too bad, right? Now, hold that same weight in your hand and raise your arm. Feels a bit heavier, right? Same principal here, the weights are placed in the endcaps, as far as possible from the natural rotation point(s) of the Rev.

The weights will be more effective used with your 2 wrap frame, because its lighter than the 3 wrap. However, as has been said by others, I have no use for the weights no matter what my setup.

wear / tear?

The strip Bazzer adds is more about eilminating a "stress fracture" in the sail's entire height. These holes in the sail look like little, skinny cut marks in the Icarex fabric (not applicable to nylon rip-stop from my experience anyway). They coincidently, perfectly align with the down spars and if you flail or fly aggressively, I guarantee you'll make acquaintance together eventually.

no biggie,... hard to notice these openings except up close, ... everything works perfectly for many thousands of hours afterwards,... it won't be pristine after the first use anyway.

The latest Pro I received has this wear-strip sewn directly into the sail, during construction. You could try "a do it yourself" aftermarket solution, but it won't be perfect. Ideally?, you should use 3M's 9460 adhesive bonding tape and iron it down permanently (no new holes from the sewing needle are being introduced this way), you'll only need a thin stripe, even a strip of 3/4oz nylon or 1/2oz icarex, an inch in width is sufficient if you don't have dacron. You're not saving the Titanic, it's a band-aid solution, no sail immortality effort can ever ultimately defeat fathertime.

I have dozens of Revs/mostly as icarex products and I've never once complained of these stress cracks, everything wears out around the same time in my opinion. The mesh is all pulled away in places, parts of the sail actually appear transparent to the wind, all the end-caps are completely rounded off, the leading edge sleeve looks like it fell onto a chainsaw, there are all kind of "bits" stuck into the tape on the back of the sail, the leading edge sleeve actually sounds abrasive as pieces are moved around inside it. Overall? that darn thing, it's all color faded unevenly, stepped on, burnt spots and generally abused hard by dozens of newbies, not just myself.

Guess what?

Wife said it's an embarrassment and dantonio agreed with her, so I get new ones and the cost doesn't come outa' my allowance either, SWEET!

I'm very happy with the latest B-Pro full sail sportin' the reinforced stripe down it's back, but it has not been properly introduced to thousands of hours of abuse yet either. We'll see if it splits "next to" the wear-strip this time around. You learn the most from failure,... " so that's where I need more strength, and now, where can I steal that excess weight from?"

Sometimes adding a hunk of fabric pays off, that's the purpose of Bazzer's wear strip, adding some weight, but gettin' a better looking product long-term for that excess mass. I'll try it awhile and see if it's worth the increase weight for my local environment.

you guys are filled with awesome tips. Thanks again for chiming in!. I believe I have all of the tweaking ideas out of my head so now I just have to master the flying. The 2-wrap + weights recommendation was very clear to understand. I'll take a picture of my rev and upload it to my avatar sometime this week and hopefully get some flying in to boot.