Buying first rev, again :-)

simon109

Question

Hi,

Looking to buy a rev again, I had a 1.5 and a standard B plus a vented B. I would like to get a couple, one standard plus a vented for the high winds. What should I get ? 1.5's or B series again ? There seem to be lots of new sig series out, should I choose these instead ?

Thanks.

Go for the B Standard series. All three come with two sets of rods.

For the standard, you get a 2-wrap and 3-wrap set of rods.

For the two vented versions, you get a 3-wrap and 4-wrap set of rods.

If I recall correctly they do not come with lines or handles.

For lines stay with the higher quality line sets such as Shanti or LaserPro.

Cheap lines are exactly that, cheap. They won't last long and tend to stretch too much plus other bothersome things.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. Where are the best places to order a B series from ? Would prefer to buy from the UK but happy to order from abroad :matrix:

Hi,

I have bought from Kiteworld and had good service from them. Stephen and Michael are very helpful and usually have Bs in stock or they will order for you.

Cheers

Stephen

Hi,

I have bought from Kiteworld and had good service from them. Stephen and Michael are very helpful and usually have Bs in stock or they will order for you.

Cheers

Stephen

That's where I've bought my revs from before, wasn't sure if there was any other dealers around the uk ?

What's the difference between the JB B2's and the JB 1.5's ?

Still cant decide what to get, 1.5 SLE or a JB but which JB :confused!:

Thanks.

Whereabouts in Hampshire are you? Maybe we could meet up some time.

Live in Bordon, I have met up with a few rev flyers down southampton way a couple of years back when I had my revs.

The difference between B-2 and 1.5?? Size and speed!! 1.5 is 71/2' format, B-2 is a 6' format!! Smaller kite is quicker, but has all the improvements that JB incorporated in his "B" series 1.5s!!

Thanks, so better if I stick with either a SLE 1.5 or the JB 1.5.

I grabbed a 1.5 B series as my very 1st rev and love it! It is a little more $$ but it provides much room to grow into. Since you already have some experience grab the higher model, you will appreciate it.

Staying 1.5 will make group flying easier, and these rev fliers love to pull as many other fliers as possible into group flights! I could barely fly verticaly up and down the window, and they were trying to drag me into a group!blink.gif

The 1.5 B series does not come with lines, but the full sail does come with 2wrap and 3 wrap framesets, which give you options depending on winds. My B came with 13" pro handles, a Special B series DVD, extra weights and a bag as well.

Don't forget to plan for the mid/full vent B that will follow..kid_devlish.gif

What are your typical winds where you will fly? If they are routinely higher (say over 10mph most of the time?) it may make more sense to go straight to a mid vent? One of the pro's here would have more info on the "typical" wind ranges for them. I just know my B series was zipping all over very quick in 12-15mph and was at its max...

Welcome back to the dark side!

Right so just to confirm I should be looking at either,

http://kiteworld.co.uk/acatalog/Revolution-1-5-SLE.html or http://kiteworld.co.uk/acatalog/Revolution-John-Barresi-Rev-1-5.html

And not this,

http://kiteworld.co.uk/acatalog/Revolution_John_Barresi_B2.html

Is the JB B2 series new ? As I had the JB before but not sure which version :blushing:

Thanks.

Stop! Take a few steps back. Best thing to do is take a ride to where people are flying these kites. You know what the 1.5's feel like. Check out a B2, take one for a test ride. I brought out a B2 and a 1.5sul today. First time since 2011. WOW! It was fun tossing that B2 around, in what wind? I think you might take the B2 as first on your list over what you've flown in the past, after 1 test drive. Still boils down to 1 is never enoughsmile.gif

The B2 is about 2 years on the market and is a smaller REV then the Rev 1.5 B series by about 1.5 feet in width.

The B series and the SLE are the REV 1.5 size of which all can use the same rod sizes.

The B2 is closer to the REV II size, the smallest in the REV series. However the B2 does not have the same dimensions as the REV II it is more a scaled down REV 1.5 B series.

I think it's been covered, but the 1.5 size (SLE or B) is the standard for group flying. It is also the best size for learning to fly quads, due to the balance of speed (moderate) and precision (high).

The B series looks quite a bit more expensive than the SLE's, but when you factor in the second frame set, and the handles, the difference becomes quite small, considering the B's have better sail fabric and more sophisticated design.

The B2s (the Baressi design applied to the Rev II size [6ft] kite), are a kick and a half. I have two vintage Rev II's (single color, single panel sails) and they are fun to fly (if you have experience). I have seen some rev fliers trying to fly Rev II's with no success, but I think the Rev IIs are definitely within the ability of any Rev flier with basic experience with a 1.5.

It is important to use the greater braking provided by a longer upper lead line on the handles. Unless you have the Baressi style handles with long adjustable upper leads, then you must modify your handles. See John's tutorials.

I just got a Rev B2 mid-vent. I've flown only about 1/2 hour in mid to upper teens (mph) winds. It is a total lady, but fast as a Ferrari off the line! It reverses across the window as fast as my 1.5 goes forward across the window. So, put the Rev B2 mid-vent on your Christmas or Birthday list for 6 to 12 months after you get your set of 1.5s. (in order: full sail, full vent, mid vent). But don't expect to fly it in a group.

Lines: for the 1.5 kites, 90 lb Laser Pro Gold (LPG). Often 80 ft will come with a kite - that's a fine length to learn and practice with. To fly with others, you will need 120 ft., but only after you have developed your basic skills (hovering, backing, etc.) At that point, you will know if and what other line lengths you might want. E.g. 50ft for flying in parks with limited free space. Or 160ft (the last line set I made up) just for the experience of seeing the kite so far away, with so much wind window to fly in.

Handles: get 13 inch handles for the 1.5s (standard in packages). That is all you need for now.

Long handles create larger control inputs to the kite. One of the most important factors in learning to control Rev kites is to not over correct. Longer handles will tend to create excessive control input to the kite. Smaller kites require even less input to control them, thus shorter handles. That said, with experience, the length of the handle does not matter that much - other than a short handle with a large kite might not generate control inputs large enough. Experiment after you have experience to find your happy lengths.

Hope that reinforces what the others have already told you.

Fair winds,

-Howard

Hi,

Are the sails the same size between the JB 1.5 and The Rev 1.5 SLE ? Is it the just the rods that are different, plus the JB comes with two frame/ rods ?

If it is then I see why the JB's are better as it will give me a wider wind range.

The frames are the same size between them. Rods are the same rods, but as mentioned the JB new comes with 2&3wrap for full sail and I think 3&4wrap for the venteds..

What sets the JB apart is the change in sail fabric and the panel layout. I am sure the crew will chime in on the particulars, but the JB is designed to get better as it works in and stretches, the vertical panels channel the wind better than the SLE panels.

Hi,

Are the sails the same size between the JB 1.5 and The Rev 1.5 SLE ? Is it the just the rods that are different, plus the JB comes with two frame/ rods ?

If it is then I see why the JB's are better as it will give me a wider wind range.

Within a 1/4" variation, they are the same size. The panel layout variation does make a difference. Then comes the material. All JB's made today are from Icarex Polyester. Kent mentioned recently that SLE is made from nylon. That will make a difference.

I do not know how low a mid will start working reliably, but a std can get in the air when you can hardly feel any breeze at all with a little work since it can fully cup the air, The mid's can't do that.

How low are the winds in your area most of the time? If they are often in that 2-10mph range you will likely want a full sail with 2 and 3 wrap frames.

I have flown my full sail with 3wrap (1st day) in just over 15mph winds, it was really twitchy and quick, but it worked. Repeated and use in that wind would stretch the sail prematurely though. A Mid would have been perfect that day, but I did not own one at the time. On the other side of it was yesterday when I was only getting a puff of wind I could barely feel, but that was enough to get the full sail with 2wrap up and moving. I am not even sure if I had consistent 3mph.

Beyond that I will let one of the pro's fill you in on the midvents range, I have not flown my mid in low winds, only in 10mph+. The venteds do fly very nice though, they are a touch smoother flying when you have the wind to fly them...

Welcome back to the flock!