Rev Indoor Tuning and Mods (Article)

Morrunya

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Nice article, did the mods last weekend. But one thing I'm curious about is are you using the indoor handles as is, with the top leaders as they come with the one knot at the end or did you change the top leaders since you added the longer pigtails to the kite?

Thanks.

Dayton David

Watty did the indoor mods on my kite nearly 2 years ago and here's my take! When he added the leaders on the kite, he told me I could cut off all the handle leader after making a knot to attach the lines and do all my adjusting at the kite!! That felt irreversible to me and I chickened out!! I do use the farthest knot out on the existing leaders to attach the lines to, and move knots at the kite depending on room dynamics! Some claim it creates another snag point, depends on how active your indoor flying really is! I rarely find it to cause many problems with my style!

PS: you say your top leaders only have one knot? Mine has 4! It's all relevant, you have knots on the pigtails,so any leader you cut off at the handle end, you can adjust for at the kite end!

Nice article, did the mods last weekend. But one thing I'm curious about is are you using the indoor handles as is, with the top leaders as they come with the one knot at the end or did you change the top leaders since you added the longer pigtails to the kite? Thanks. Dayton David

On my handles, I leave a short ~2" pigtail on both the top and bottom with only one knot. Because I have adjustable pigtails on the kite, there is no reason to have them on the handles, and they will do nothing but get hung up on stuff.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Here's a follow up thought on these mods:

If you tighten up the LE bunjiis, I suggest checking the holes for stretching or elongation. If you notice some, here's an idea.

Using some insignia tape (same stuff Bazzer uses for wear strips) you can make some reinforcing patches to stop the wear. Cut a small piece big enough to cover both holes on one side. Use a sharp pointy thing (I use an ice pick) to locate the holes on that piece, then cut a second piece for that side. Use the sharp pointy to go though both pieces.

PS: if you holes have already grown, make sure to put the new holes back in the original place, back some from the ends.

Replace caps and bunjiis and fly.

Logic - the lower hole will stop growing as it hits the hem on the panel, but the upper hole is in the LE pocket and with nothing to stop it, can eventually tear right out. The patches will extend the life of your Indoor sail. Case in point - I did this on my old R/W/B sail, near 10 years old, and got many more years out of it. And it's still flyable today, even with the several years of abuse I've done!

Any questions - I'll be glad and try to answer.

• Like 1