Real or Fake rev?

Broady

Question

From reading bits and pieces on the net I have some concern.

I don't mean the Chinese 4 line kites, I mean kites that carry the Rev logo, but not made by Rev.

I brought a Rev SLE off eBay from a good trick kite flyer.

He said it was from around 2002/03.

It came with the Rev thicker LE, adapted end caps and a trick line, with the smaller handles.

My doubt is over the sail pattern, I've only seen it on the Exp, not the SLE.

Below is a picture.

Anyone help?

post-3939-13313717463061_thumb.jpg

13 answers to this question

From reading bits and pieces on the net I have some concern.

I don't mean the Chinese 4 line kites, I mean kites that carry the Rev logo, but not made by Rev.

I brought a Rev SLE off eBay from a good trick kite flyer.

He said it was from around 2002/03.

It came with the Rev thicker LE, adapted end caps and a trick line, with the smaller handles.

My doubt is over the sail pattern, I've only seen it on the Exp, not the SLE.

Below is a picture.

Anyone help?

It looks to me like you have an original REV not a copy.

That is not quite the sail pattern of the EXP. The center panel has a different shape.

What you have there is the first of the SLE series. They were made in 1998 and 1999.

Well it did seem to be too good to be a fake.

So is it as good or not? And what do people think to the mods?

The SLE rods makes it a bit too radical and lack of precision, however the rods are good for stronger winds.

For general flying you would find the 1/4" 3-wrap rod better. Even better then that is change to race rods.

Longer handles will give you more possibilities, especially with tricks. However they are a bit more sensitive, thus some over control until you get use to them.

The sail is quite good and well made from polyester rip-stop. I think Icarex was used for all panels at that time.

You have a nice REV there.

Hmmmmm, after I blew up the picture, now I see.

Are you talking about the line that seems to run around the perimeter of your Rev? Most easily seen between the 2 vertical spars, lying on the floor?

I've never seen a Rev with that modification before, though I must admit my own experience is limited.

Yeah, it goes from one end of the leading edge round the kite and up to the other.

He said it was to prevent line wrapping while doing tricks and was set up by a pro. Did people have them in the 90's?

Can be easily removed.

I'll check out kiteworld, thanks

Yeah, it goes from one end of the leading edge round the kite and up to the other.

He said it was to prevent line wrapping while doing tricks and was set up by a pro. Did people have them in the 90's?

Can be easily removed.

I'll check out kiteworld, thanks

I was using the same setup back around then. I even had one that dipped into the vee. I used it to keep from ripping up the trailing edge with rolls on the line. I don't recall if the idea was from me or someone else.

If you don't need it, remove it.

I probably know the pro you got it from as I was living and competing in Europe at the time.

So is the 'trick' line worth keeping or should I just remove it?

Does it help with learning tricks?

I only have the larger LE, and need to save hard for a while to save up for the new smaller one.

Cheers for all your help

So is the 'trick' line worth keeping or should I just remove it?

Does it help with learning tricks?

I only have the larger LE, and need to save hard for a while to save up for the new smaller one.

Cheers for all your help

The trick line was not that helpful to me, so I "suggest" removing it. Remember how it attached for possible future use. It does create a bit of a drag which annoyed me.

What is better for learning tricks is the standoffs on the back. They have various names on this forum such as "sissy sticks" or something like that. Just look around and you will find some threads about them.

These sticks are great for learning and tricks like flic-flacs.

You don't have to change out the SLE rods to the 1/4" rods. You can still fly and do tricks with SLE rods. They are tough and great for learning with as they can take a lot of brutalizing.

Really happy then. If I'd wanted a fake I'd have gone to China! I don't know how many fakes there are out there that have the rev logo and wouldn't know how to tell a real from a fake.

I'm looking forward to getting out with it again. and I'll take the trick line off too.

thanks again