Questions about Laser Pro Gold Line

jg5150

Question

I recently purchased a spool of 90# LPG and made a set of 120's. This is my first experience with LPG but not with 120' line sets so here is my question. The stretch seems minimul compared to my other set and it feels very slippery to the touch but when I get 4 or more wraps in it, it gets really tough to turn. My other set of 120's was made from 4 spools of 80# x 150' ea. Although it doesn't feel as slick to the touch I can get more wraps without the line getting hard to turn. Is it possible I have a defective or old spool. I don't want to use the rest if this is the case. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Like I said before with more than 4 wraps the line even sounds squeaky.

Thanks in advance,

Joe

23 answers to this question

1. - You're SURE it's LPG? Never had any issues with my bulk spool!! And I made up 2 sets, 120's and 30's! Gave the balance to a friend and he made 80's!! No complaints that I know of!!

2. - Why so many twists? Most team moves only have a single wrap. so more than that is up to you!! But I've not had these issues with the 2 different line makers I've used!!

I've used both LPG and Shanti line and never had any problems!!

Hi Joe, that the line binds up after four wraps is strange.

I say send the rest to me so you don't have to suffer through it...

I can get many more wraps before having the line bind up with LPG unless it is a really worn set and then you can see it by looking at the line, it's no longer shiny and sometimes looks dirty or slightly frayed.

If you want to see a really worn set take a look at Rich Comras' linesets. He'll spend a ton of money on kites and spars but never replace his line sets. kid_smartass.gif

-Alden

I have to agree with Wayne on this one. I have spun up the kite well over 10 revolutions, probably up to 20, before things got a sketchy with the controls. Seems very strange that after only 4 you'd have a noticable difference.

Bart

When I bought my first EXP in 2009, it came with a set of 90# LPG lines in the RTF package. Those lines seemed to me to have an odd "creaky" sort of feeling when they got a couple of turns in them that I wasn't used to from dualies. It bothered me enough that I went back and bought a set of Shanti speed lines the next day, which felt smoother.

The punchline is that those original LPG lines actually seemed to get better and smoother with use. In fact I still fly that set.

1. - You're SURE it's LPG? Never had any issues with my bulk spool!! And I made up 2 sets, 120's and 30's! Gave the balance to a friend and he made 80's!! No complaints that I know of!!

2. - Why so many twists? Most team moves only have a single wrap. so more than that is up to you!! But I've not had these issues with the 2 different line makers I've used!!

I've used both LPG and Shanti line and never had any problems!!

Here is a pic of the spool I got, it was shrink wrapped when I received it and it came from a reputable dealer.

6821386636_dff4eb617a_b.jpg

DSC_71581 by JG5150-Joe Girgenti, on Flickr

There is still more than half of the spool left. The reason for so many wraps was just to compare smoothness. The only other experience I have with LPG is from a set that came with my first Rev which is now only 50' instead of 75' due to an incident with an SLK a long time ago.

Hi Joe, that the line binds up after four wraps is strange.

I say send the rest to me so you don't have to suffer through it...

I can get many more wraps before having the line bind up with LPG unless it is a really worn set and then you can see it by looking at the line, it's no longer shiny and sometimes looks dirty or slightly frayed.

If you want to see a really worn set take a look at Rich Comras' linesets. He'll spend a ton of money on kites and spars but never replace his line sets. kid_smartass.gif

-Alden

Alden,

The line is very shiny and it does feel slick to the touch. I know on other linesets I can get at least 3 times as many wraps with no problems. Even on very worn linesets LOL.

You can have the balance of the line no problem, just send me one of your "Jimi's" LOL. If not I could use a vented Rev, been kinda windy here lately.

Joe

I have to agree with Wayne on this one. I have spun up the kite well over 10 revolutions, probably up to 20, before things got a sketchy with the controls. Seems very strange that after only 4 you'd have a noticable difference.

Bart

Bart,

I agree, just wondering if I should give the dealer a call.

Joe

When I bought my first EXP in 2009, it came with a set of 90# LPG lines in the RTF package. Those lines seemed to me to have an odd "creaky" sort of feeling when they got a couple of turns in them that I wasn't used to from dualies. It bothered me enough that I went back and bought a set of Shanti speed lines the next day, which felt smoother.

The punchline is that those original LPG lines actually seemed to get better and smoother with use. In fact I still fly that set.

Brian,

This set probably has no more than 4 hrs total time on them and the temps have been rather cold when flying lately. Sunday the temps were in the mid 30's and it was actually flurying here for a bit. I did get out on Tuesday here again and the temps were in the mid 50's that day. Just seems weird that the line feels very waxy so to speak but it squeaks like crazy after 4 wraps and gets tough to steer.

Joe

That's definitely a Gold spool. Looks like one of mine. But did you get it from me? confused_1.gif

Gold is what iQuad flies on.....and a majority of other quad fliers too smile.gif

Theresa,

I did not purchase this from you but I did get it from a dealer that I have had many other purchases with, although this is the first line purchase.

I know most fliers use this so I thought I would get a large spool and make some new linesets up but I am hesitant to use the rest. Maybe this weekend I can get with some of the team fliers in my area and see what they think. Usually there are some guys flying @ Liberty State Park on Sundays so I will try to get there. I could have gotten a defective spool possibly. Like I stated in my first post the other 120' set I have is only an 80# Spectra ( 4 spools @ 150" ea.) but doesn't squeak when you get multiple wraps and I just thought that stepping up to the Premium line that this was weird.

Joe

Hi Joe,

Today I used 120 ft LPG on a Vented B with 10 mph winds and wound it up to ten wraps before it started to tighten up!

I feel that I could have easily gone for two or three more before losing it!

With four wraps applied it was hardly noticable but there again I am still learning!

Bill

Theresa,

I did not purchase this from you but I did get it from a dealer that I have had many other purchases with, although this is the first line purchase.

I know most fliers use this so I thought I would get a large spool and make some new linesets up but I am hesitant to use the rest. Maybe this weekend I can get with some of the team fliers in my area and see what they think. Usually there are some guys flying @ Liberty State Park on Sundays so I will try to get there. I could have gotten a defective spool possibly. Like I stated in my first post the other 120' set I have is only an 80# Spectra ( 4 spools @ 150" ea.) but doesn't squeak when you get multiple wraps and I just thought that stepping up to the Premium line that this was weird.

Joe

Is this for there fishing industry customers, and possibly sent to a kite store instead? :confused!:

I recently purchased a spool of 90# LPG and made a set of 120's. This is my first experience with LPG but not with 120' line sets so here is my question. The stretch seems minimul compared to my other set and it feels very slippery to the touch but when I get 4 or more wraps in it, it gets really tough to turn. My other set of 120's was made from 4 spools of 80# x 150' ea. Although it doesn't feel as slick to the touch I can get more wraps without the line getting hard to turn. Is it possible I have a defective or old spool. I don't want to use the rest if this is the case. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Like I said before with more than 4 wraps the line even sounds squeaky.

Thanks in advance,

Joe

If it was quite cold outside, say below freezing and the line are absolutely new, the two together could possibly create this effect.

I suspect your lines will improve after a half hour or so of constant flying.

I use both Shanti and Laser Pro. When flying alone I prefer my Shanti lines. For team I will switch to Laser Pro unless the whole team is flying Shanti.

You could try "Sewer's Aid". That' "sewer" as in people who sew, not as in the place we do not want to go. Available in some sewing/fabric shops in a small bottle.

I put only a few drops on a small small rag, and run it over the stretched-out lines two or three times, renewing the drops as the rag gets dry. The advantage over other oily substances is that it does not seem to collect dirt - it works in very small amounts.

I once got varnish dust on my lines (trying to make winders), and the lines sang like violin strings with a single wrap - and refused to budge after two or three. I used mineral spirits to remove the varnish dust, and sewer's aid to renew the slipperiness.

Why the LPG would come with problems, though, is not something I can answer.

Good luck.

OK, I did get to Liberty State Park yesterday. Unfortunately I guess the regular Jersey Crew was at the Kite Party. I can't believe that myself and the friend that came with me were the only Rev Fliers there that day so I had no one to try my lines to see what they thought. I flew for approx 6 hrs and 4 of which on that lineset. Here are my thoughts.

1. The lineset did seem to get better with use, I can now get 10 wraps before binding up. Not really a problem cause I usually don't wrap them that much.

2. Would I buy this brand again, probably not. I have never had to "Break In" a lineset before. I have been flying Duals and Quads since 95. Mostly Duals but lately I am addicted to Quads.

3. The stretch was very minimul as compared to my other linesets and this is a plus. I checked them at the the end of yesterdays flying session and right to left unoticeable. Top to bottom, tops a little longer but I know this is normal so in the linestretch catagory I would say this is excellent with about 8 hrs. total flying time on the lineset.

4. Maybe I got a bad spool who knows but if this is any indication of Laser Pros QC this leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

5. I will use the rest of the spool cause I am not made of money, but next time I will buy a different brand.

Joe

@Alden!!!!!!........Beater Lines for beater kites!!!!

But seriously, LPG line sets last and last and last......I have rarely busted an LPG line new or well used and binding has never been an issue except where one might expect it......multiple wraps and wraps with others, etc.

@Joe.......Yes I was at Kite party this past weekend.....sorry I missed you.

I'm sure I'll be out there at LSP on Sunday to fly and it's likely that Sammy, Big Al and Rawveeda will be there; and for sure sure, Andrew will be there.........of that I have no doubt. He will be wanting the winds to be kicked up!!!!!

You are welcome to fly anything and everything in my bag as well as try my new line sets vs semi used line sets vs beater lines or even use the new, yellow colored Sky Bond line.

All ya gott a do is show up there and say hi.

PM me and we can work out plans, etc.

skybond is the slipperiest line you can acquire currently!

25-30 wraps aren't unreasonable before binding commences when new, even older line sets with thousands of hours on them still can do a dozen

next time try this product instead and see if it doesn't impress you, just as it did for me.

On the side topic of Skybond, we tried it against #90 Speed line for a day of team flying on each set, 120 ft. We have been using LP Gold all the while.

The #100 Skybond gives a weird vibrating feedback down the lines when the wind picks up. It's really weird though. No issues with the slipperiness or the elastic response that John mentioned. Perhaps we only had a relatively short time on it.

The Speed doesn't have as such a "solid" feel on the lines compared to Skybond or LPG. Feels a little "spongy".:innocent: The weirdest thing was that we felt a slight binding up during a 4-man compound benefit. This was never apparent on Skybond or LPG. For comparison, I've been using Speed for dual line for many yrs and binding was never much of an issue.

Hope to hear of more experience from anyone.

I'm no iQuad member, but even I can feel the bungee effect of Skybond 90# ... even when I tried it at 12' indoors. The only thing I've flown with more bungee was 50# LPG, but thats not a fair comparison :P

Skybond is super slippery (to the point where I can't tell if I'm wrapping or unwrapping) but I want that solid connection to my kite more than I want the extra wraps. In the Champions routine at WSIKF '12 I often flew the number 5 position where you enter the blender with 4 complete wraps (assuming you started unwrapped) and had no trouble with that on LPG lines. Position 5 finishes with 5 full wraps and I flew that with no trouble on LPG.

Skybond isn't a BAD line, just not my line of choice for my style of flying.

this is just for me i use a product called reel magic on all my lines i spray with this wait 5 minutes and i have put 38 wraps and still can control turns its great dries smooth nothing sticks to it it was made fpr power pro fishing line witch is made from laser pro talked to sales man and he says power pro is same as laser pro with2 less wraps in line like i said this is what i do turns old lines like new $4 a can and i used it on all lines