Alden Miller

Bearquad

Alden Miller, kite builder of the Jimi kites. Had a fire at his home. The fire destroyed his wood working workshop and Airstream Trailer. The building was not attached to his house. He lost 35 years of tools.

This weekend, go out and fly a kite for Alden.

If your are in the Washington DC Area, come to Sandy Point State Park, MD. Saturday 25th of February. Bring your Flame Rev or Pyro Kite.

His kites were safe but his ripstop will have a smokey smell to it.post-1072-13299442363186_thumb.jpg

Alden Miller, kite builder of the Jimi kites. Had a fire at his home. The fire destroyed his wood working workshop and Airstream Trailer. The building was not attached to his house. He lost 35 years of tools.

This weekend, go out and fly a kite for Alden.

If your are in the Washington DC Area, come to Sandy Point State Park, MD. Saturday 25th of February. Bring your Flame Rev or Pyro Kite.

His kites were safe but his ripstop will have a smokey smell to it.post-1072-13299442363186_thumb.jpg

Wow! Good to hear him and those kites are safe! Sorry for the loss

Thanks for all the kind thoughts. As Ben said, my wife, my pets, and my house are ok. The insurance company is treating me well so far the hard part is listing all of the tools that I had. There were only three things that I considered very special to me in the shops and the most special some Curly Koa wood that a now deceased friend gave me is 80+% intact. It will make a mess but I am going to salvage those pieces of wood and make something out of them to remember my friend Frank! No more putting this off (at least once my shop is rebuilt.

I will say this too, it is really friggin messy going through mountains of charcoal, melted plastics and metal to find identifiable objects...

-Alden

Geeesh Alden, all the best in these times of trouble my friend. Now you and Jeff King have something in common besides kites too, unfortunately it's a fire! I hope you recover mentally as fast as that insurance check clears. We're pulling for you and available if there's something you need. An inventory is a challenge when things are all good. I can't even imagine what you must be going thru to reconstruct, list and place a value on each item lost!

Your home and the family are all okay though, God blessed I'd say!

So glad that things are going well with the insurance company, Alden! I can only imagine how hard it is going through everything and cleaning up right now. I wish (among other things) I had the resources to give you another swanky Airstream! Rest assured that you are going to have a Most Awesome new workshop when all is said and done and you WILL make something special with that Koa! Soooo Glad things didn't go any worse for you. (((Hugs!)))

Koa is a exotic hardwood from Hawaii. About 3-4 times the cost of domestic oak, plus there is a very personal attachment to the koa he has. Ya gotta make something really special with it Alden! Maybe incorporate a small bit of charred wood as part of the story of the wood itself. So sorry about the loss, its those special things that cannot be recovered, or even remembered till later, that really make this kind of loss hard for some time to come. :blue-confused:

Well Jynx knows I like to pick on her about the way she pronounces Oak and Koa is just Oak spelled sideways! :kid_smartass:

I appreciate all the thoughts from everyone. As of today I no longer own a trailer... Or as I said at work it's amazing how a 31' Airstream fits into your pocket with one fold. Now to get the contents of the trailer and workshops inventoried so they can finish tearing them down...

You guys are the best and I like how everyone is worried about me first and then kites second, probably the other way around sometimes but you all make me smile!

-Alden

You guys are the best and I like how everyone is worried about me first and then kites second, probably the other way around sometimes but you all make me smile!

-Alden

I was only thinking bout the kites.....mine specifically....you know, the one you told me not to mention to anyone!!!!!!! Kidding OBVIOUSLY..........love ya bro....keep smiling!!!!!!!