Beatin' up my Rev :(

gobydavid@yahoo.com

Question

I'm curious as to which tricks decrease my Rev's longevity the most. Some actions are just rough on the frame and sail.

My vote is for the Flic Flac. The sail gets popped twice, with the lines running over the sail for a brief period. Spectra is still abrasive, no matter how smoothly it slides against itself.

What do you think? Please chime in with an explanation.

My vote for most abusive goes to.......... "The Lawn Dart"! kid_devlish.gif Crashing against "Mother Earth" can't be good to the kite!!

"The Lawn Dart" isn't a trick SS!! Well, you know the old saying - do it 3 times back to back and maybe they'll think you did it on purpose!! kid_devlish.gif

Flying in the water is definitely tough on the sail! Deceptively so, if you ask me.... I never think of flying out of the water, damn desert I live in......

@SS - w00t.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

I think Watty has it - I think an underwater axel would be a very damaging trick to do on the Rev!

@RevWiz - do you mean 3D roll up tricks, like on a dualie, when you say "rolling on the lines"?

That is what I did do. However, I don't recommend attempting it. It wrecks the trailing edge.

Flying underwater, with the underwater axel followed by a LawnCoral Dart :kid_cussing: direct to leading edge. :censored: Roughest thing I've ever done to my Revs. :devil: It's better know as the ole "Rev in a Blender Slushie" :w00t:

blink.gif What an amazing mental picture this paints - frightening and awesome!! Shear Rev destruction there. I really like the name laugh.gif

I'm finding upright horizontal slides in wind too strong for any particular frame is beating up my vented Rev lately, especially the LE. Upright slides in 18 mph the other day bent my 4 wrap LE farther than I thought was previously possible blink.gif This was interesting to me at the time because normal flight wasn't bending the LE too far IMO. Vertical slides were bending the LE quite a bit as well, but not like an upright horizontal slide.

OMG is this the reason I need to actually have a SLE frame on hand??

SLE has it's own grace and style. It deserves a spot in the bag. More fun than the #-wrap frames for my personal preferences.

SLE is a terrible thing to waste.

SLE, don't leave home without it.

SLE for those times you wonder, "Where's the beef?"

SLE: The dark side of the dark side.

I don't recommend trying this.

I quit doing it long ago because of the damage it was doing.

Just take a look at any of Weider's kites for evidence of what John is talking about....!!!!

As for me, the trick that causes the most destructive damage to my kites is simply putting the handles in my hands. I am exceptionally hard on my gear and make no bones about it.

Seriously tho, not withstanding normal wear and tear, these kites and the rods in them are very robust and stand up to quite a beating.

@ Spence....I don't think I have the arm strength anymore to pull off an underwater axel but given the chance, I'll try like hell!!!!!!!!:):):)

@ Spence....I don't think I have the arm strength anymore to pull off an underwater axel but given the chance, I'll try like hell!!!!!!!!:):):)

Weather permitting.....or maybe not :kid_devlish: Maybe they can take you to the river dock :)

Looking forward to seeing you soon!

Hugs,

T

SLE has it's own grace and style. It deserves a spot in the bag. More fun than the #-wrap frames for my personal preferences.

SLE is a terrible thing to waste.

SLE, don't leave home without it.

SLE for those times you wonder, "Where's the beef?"

SLE: The dark side of the dark side.

w00t.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

SLE - it's what's for dinner!!

Got SLE??

When you snap your 4 wrap frame, you get angry. When you get angry, you break things.

When you break things, your children imitate you breaking things. At school. And get kicked out.

When your children get kicked out of school, they meet undesireables. Then they marry undesireables.

When they marry undesireables, you get a grandson with a dog collar.

Don't wind up with a grandson with a dog collar. Get a SLE.

laugh.gif

I think the sensible thing to do here is to purchase a Supersonic, which comes with a SLE that should fit my B series blink.gifwacko.gifsmile.gif

The toughest thing I do routinely is fly over a parking lot nearby my residence. That gets you good footing but it's also highly abusive to your equipment, (like dragging your kite over a chain saw). Missing a catch impacts the asphalt, then you jerk the kite some to get the leading edge back to facing away from you so it can be re-launched. More abrasion, maybe even sawing action with the spectra across the bridle or the sail material.

I'm with Rich, . . . fly 'em real hard, then go get new ones! I don't even consider a kite mine until there's some type of damage done permanently, at least a burn hole or a kid's muddy footprint. Scuffed leading edges, rounded-off end-caps, bridles that only last a few flying sessions, dare I say, broken frame members as well?

To add to this ol thread, crashing in sea oats/cacutses when you have 130 ft lines and only 20 ft of free beach due to high tide :(

Wicked!! Geez I hope there were no casualties kid_frustrated.gif

I'm going to have to second my own nomination for the Flic Flac though........ This weekend, while practicing the Flic Flac on shorter lines (30' and 50') I broke 2 washers on the LE vertical caps!! I haven't had one break since I started flying the Rev, and now 2 are down!!

I spent a good 20 minutes checking everything but the caps before finding the problem, I didn't notice the vertical spar sticking way above the LE right away.