Stick on wear strips

kwmf

I realise I'm likely to be told not to bother and fly it until it wears out .... but I'm going to ask the question regardless.

If I fly on the beach until the sun starts to set (or well after it sets) the weather conditions here are always such that you get condensation on the spars which then gets sand sticking to the verticals. This essentially creates a sandpaper (sand-carbon) rod and wears a nice white stripe on the sail along the contact area. This occurs on both the standard sail and the vented sails, but is slightly less pronounced on the vented.

I have both Tedlar and Insignia tape and I'm wondering if there are any pros/cons to using either as stick on wear strips?

As a simple test last night I stuck a patch of each to a thin wooden board last night and then hit them with some rough sandpaper to see how each holds up. The sandpaper was very coarse and the tedlar just got shredded in 3 passes. The Insignia just shrugged it off repeatedly until it started to fuzz up and begin to wear through slowly. Now granted the grit and pressure was way higher than what would likely occur on the beach, but the insignia tape seemed WAY more resistant to wear than the Tedlar tape.

Assuming that this mod WILL be done to my beach kites, what suggestions/advice do you lot have?

Any reasons to consider NOT doing this?

I realise I'm likely to be told not to bother and fly it until it wears out .... but I'm going to ask the question regardless.

If I fly on the beach until the sun starts to set (or well after it sets) the weather conditions here are always such that you get condensation on the spars which then gets sand sticking to the verticals. This essentially creates a sandpaper (sand-carbon) rod and wears a nice white stripe on the sail along the contact area. This occurs on both the standard sail and the vented sails, but is slightly less pronounced on the vented.

I have both Tedlar and Insignia tape and I'm wondering if there are any pros/cons to using either as stick on wear strips?

As a simple test last night I stuck a patch of each to a thin wooden board last night and then hit them with some rough sandpaper to see how each holds up. The sandpaper was very coarse and the tedlar just got shredded in 3 passes. The Insignia just shrugged it off repeatedly until it started to fuzz up and begin to wear through slowly. Now granted the grit and pressure was way higher than what would likely occur on the beach, but the insignia tape seemed WAY more resistant to wear than the Tedlar tape.

Assuming that this mod WILL be done to my beach kites, what suggestions/advice do you lot have?

Any reasons to consider NOT doing this?

I think Terry of the Island Quad team did this with insignia tape. It seemed to do the job, and looks good too.

Bazzer just made a couple of kite sails for me and the full sail has the insignia tape sewn right into the construction. for me it's more about the stress fractures of Icarex than sand abrasion

I also use training wheels (magic sticks), those have a rubber fitting that rubs against the sail so I place a patch of mylar reinforced nylon ripstop behind the fitting on the sail. An inch or so square is sufficient, I prefer a diamond shape, but round those corners!) It is adhered with 9460 bonding tape from 3M.

One of my first SUL sails developed small slits behind the verticals. I covered that area with Tedlar tape to prevent any further damage. Used Tedlar tape 'cuz I thought the sail was really too bright and transparent for the opaque insignia cloth. It's the gold and raspberry 2002 sail in the header across the top of this forum.

There are no new slits and the old ones haven't grown in length. So, functionally it's been a success. However, the adhesive has attracted dirt/dust from the beach ... in the slits and along the edge of the tape. Looks like hell up close! I'll be thinking twice before doing it again.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi KWMF. I to have tried to solve this sand, salt ,friction and fracture issue.I have to agree with Jeepster and say STEP AWAY FROM THE TEDLAR. I used it on my first Rev when I noticed the wear you are describing. It works. Just that your sail will end up like a beach collage. UV eventually degrades the tape. Tape starts to lift exposing lots more lovely active glue.

Just a few weeks ago I decided I had had enough of looking at the sticky mess and set about getting the tape off with finger nails and soapy water. Impossible to remove all the glue.

My next step was to apply low weight black ripstop nylon as wear strips (well more to cover the ugly glue from the tedlar) which I think look kinda cool on a black and yellow factory Rev. The glue on the ripstop is a little less aggressive and I figure if it soaks off in the sea or even just peels in moisture I will just stick on a new strip. One good thing about having worn out kites is that you fly them more adventurously and push your limits more. Like you I have a set of beach "LOL" or should I say "mud kites" to wreck. What a privilege! Its just beaches and sunsets I am a little short on wink.gif Enjoy.