REV Handles

jasondarla

Question

Not sure where you are Jason. If you get hold of some bridal line, by that I mean the type of line that kite bridals are made of you can easily tie some pigtails from that. I would think any decent kite shop in your area or definatly one of the on line ones should be able to help.

I personally use Thekiteshoppe www.thekiteshoppe.com speak to Theresa, or have a look on the website, I am sure she will be able to help you out. Hope that is some help.

If for some reason the kite shoppe isn't what you're looking for ( even though it is usually the first place I would recommend ) I'm sure the people from Rev would be able to help you out. Talk to Ben (Beach). I'm sure he'll help you out.

*edit*: I just realized, Why did you make this thread in the pics and vids section? :huh:

If for some reason the kite shoppe isn't what you're looking for ( even though it is usually the first place I would recommend ) I'm sure the people from Rev would be able to help you out. Talk to Ben (Beach). I'm sure he'll help you out.

*edit*: I just realized, Why did you make this thread in the pics and vids section? :huh:

oops on my part

Anyone know the best place to pick up some of the line for the handles. Lost a line the second time flying my REV B.

Thanks

Jason

If you are critical and want the same line, you have to shop around or ask REV directly.

Otherwise line like normal nylon kite line of about 100# will suffice.

Below is a photo I took in January 1994 of the pigtails I was working on then which use nylon kite line.

post-41-1184539879_thumb.jpg

here is a photo of my rev 1.5 handles taken 2 years ago i used some 150# SLK kite line its thick and white and eazy to tie and untie knots when your doing on field adjustments.. plus the knots are good size to keep from a line slipping off .. this or bridle line works the best

post-87-1184545841_thumb.jpg

my preferred line is High test bridle line in the 100 pound strength

It has a smaller knot (less chance of a snag doing slack line stuff) and it's easy to adjust your flying line lengths if your lazy

the "top leaders" should NOT reach all the way across the gap either,

or you'll catch occasionally on the bottom metal triangles when flipping the sail inside-out.

my preferred line is High test bridle line in the 100 pound strength

It has a smaller knot (less chance of a snag doing slack line stuff) and it's easy to adjust your flying line lengths if your lazy

the "top leaders" should NOT reach all the way across the gap either,

or you'll catch occasionally on the bottom metal triangles when flipping the sail inside-out.

Is there an optimal length for the top (and bottom) leaders?

Is there an optimal length for the top (and bottom) leaders?

Everyone seems to have there own way for doing it.

I have been using pigtails on REV handles since 1993. Who knows, I might have been the first.

I tend to have 4 or 5 knots at the top with the line almost touching the bottom line connection.

For the bottom, 2 or 3 knots is enough for me with a slightly shorter line.

Does anyone know if the bridle line for the pigtails on the B-series handles are actually 100# or 150#? I don't have any 150# (assuming it comes in that weight), but the B-Series pigtails appears to me to be a little heavier than 100#. Any thoughts?????

Thanks, Doug

I use 100# hollow core braided dacron. Using a sleeving/splicing tool, I made a small loop and then pulled the line through itself, doubling it up. The small loop is larksheaded to the triangular staple on the end of the handle. No knot there, and the rest of my knots are in the "single" line. It makes things very clean. I haven't seen B-series handles to compare with though.

I use the same doubled up dacron in my 15-inch handles (made from old Rev II handles extended with old SkyShark VIIp), but for these, there is a knot buried inside the end of the handles that anchors them to the handles. I need to take some pics of these handles. I love the length, especially for light to medium wind. For higher winds I go back to my normal 1.5 handles to reduce sensitivity.

--Lee

I can make some up for you, I live in victoria as well...

Great to see another Rev flier in Victoria.... where doing great for an island... I think I will start up a team... giggles...

Rev-it-up

StevE D

Yeah Jason, come down to Clover Point and you'll see us Reving around :rolleyes: Steve is our mentor B) !!!!

Cheers

Mario

I have been using pigtails on REV handles since 1993. Who knows, I might have been the first.

John,

In early 1991 I started making and using pigtail wth about 4-5 knots on them for my dual line straps, because it was a quick fix for when one of the lines became stretched longer than the other line. As a metetr of fact, I showed the idea to danial Prentice (owner of Shanti Kite products and American Kite Magazine), and he asked if he could borrow the idea to use on flight straps they were making.

About the same time in mid 1991, David Brittain and I started adding long knotted pigtail leaders to our Rev 1 handles for the same reason (line stretch), but we quickly discovered that something even better developed out of this idea, in that we were able to fine tune the lines better, to give the kite more or less break. This was a very cool tuning idea that radically changed the kite's peformance handling abilities for the better, and improved our flying abilities! : )

John,

In early 1991 I started making and using pigtail wth about 4-5 knots on them for my dual line straps, because it was a quick fix for when one of the lines became stretched longer than the other line. As a metetr of fact, I showed the idea to danial Prentice (owner of Shanti Kite products and American Kite Magazine), and he asked if he could borrow the idea to use on flight straps they were making.

About the same time in mid 1991, David Brittain and I started adding long knotted pigtail leaders to our Rev 1 handles for the same reason (line stretch), but we quickly discovered that something even better developed out of this idea, in that we were able to fine tune the lines better, to give the kite more or less break. This was a very cool tuning idea that radically changed the kite's peformance handling abilities for the better, and improved our flying abilities! : )

Did you guys every photograph and publish anything or did someone else do it for you. I just want rule our me pinching your idea and maybe laying claim to something that wasn't also my idea.

I know I was playing around with my first pigtail idea as early as 1992, maybe even in 1991. I had the problem then that I wanted to get rid of the line clips and I had REV I lines which had different upper and lower lengths. This was because I wanted to use them on my REV II. My REV II had come with kevlar lines and I did not like them for two reasons. First they had too much friction. Second the would cut other kite lines too easily. The REV II had all four lines of the same length.

My next REV I, an SUL, which I got in late 1992 had lighter lines and a different bridle which used lines of the same length unlike the earlier REV I's.

Did you guys every photograph and publish anything or did someone else do it for you. I just want rule our me pinching your idea and maybe laying claim to something that wasn't also my idea.

No, we never thought that there was a need to, other than us showing them to other flyers at festivals. And at that time with the World Cup competitions and competition rivalries between kiters around the world, we didn't go out of our way to share info with kiters across the big pond.

You said that you may have been the first one, and I simply added to the discussion by telling you when we first started using pigtails. ; )

I know I was playing around with my first pigtail idea as early as 1992, maybe even in 1991.

John, you said:

"I have been using pigtails on REV handles since 1993. Who knows, I might have been the first."

When you said that, did you forget what date you originally posted? Now, you quote a different date when you started using pigtails, why?

Honestly, neither you or I could possibly know if we were the first, and it really doesn't matter. ; )

Back then, communications of who did what and when, in kiting were not quickly

learned about around the world like they are nowadays, because only a few were even using the internet back then to communicate, whereas nowadays when someone does or says something, those that want or need to know, can find the info the same day.

I had the problem then that I wanted to get rid of the line clips and I had REV I lines which had different upper and lower lengths. This was because I wanted to use them on my REV II. My REV II had come with kevlar lines and I did not like them for two reasons. First they had too much friction. Second the would cut other kite lines too easily. The REV II had all four lines of the same length.

My next REV I, an SUL, which I got in late 1992 had lighter lines and a different bridle which used lines of the same length unlike the earlier REV I's.

I remember when we first started using the pigtails on our Rev 1 handles in "91", we still used the metal clips to fasten the lines between the pigtail knots. I think we did that because back then the Rev bridle didn't have knots to larkshead to, and since we constantly swapped line ends, so that the lines wouldn't wear out as quickly, we thought that we needed to keep the metal clips on the lines, and the fact that (if you rememebr correctly), we were still using the original wood Rev line winders (plastic ones weren't be produced yet by Rev), which had metal screws/pegs on the side to attach the clips to, when the lines were wound onto the wooden winders.

No, we never thought that there was a need to, other than us showing them to other flyers at festivals. And at that time with the World Cup competitions and competition rivalries between kiters around the world, we didn't go out of our way to share info with kiters across the big pond.

You said that you may have been the first one, and I simply added to the discussion by telling you when we first started using pigtails. ; )

John, you said:

When you said that, did you forget what date you originally posted? Now, you quote a different date when you started using pigtails, why?

Honestly, neither you or I could possibly know if we were the first, and it really doesn't matter. ; )

Back then, communications of who did what and when, in kiting were not quickly

learned about around the world like they are nowadays, because only a few were even using the internet back then to communicate, whereas nowadays when someone does or says something, those that want or need to know, can find the info the same day.

I remember when we first started using the pigtails on our Rev 1 handles in "91", we still used the metal clips to fasten the lines between the pigtail knots. I think we did that because back then the Rev bridle didn't have knots to larkshead to, and since we constantly swapped line ends, so that the lines wouldn't wear out as quickly, we thought that we needed to keep the metal clips on the lines, and the fact that (if you rememebr correctly), we were still using the original wood Rev line winders (plastic ones weren't be produced yet by Rev), which had metal screws/pegs on the side to attach the clips to, when the lines were wound onto the wooden winders.

In the early 90's we did not know of each other. We did not go to the same festivals or competitions. There wasn't anyone at any festival we went to with the same idea. There was not anything in any magazines to influence our ideas.

So, it seems we all came up with the same idea independently at about the same time.

Good enough for me.

I remember that on the early REV I's, they also had swivels on the bridle. I took the swivel off very early as I had had bad experiences with them in the past. I remember quite well the early REV I wood winders. The also had a stretch black strap with velcro to hold the lines down. This was later replaced by a clear plastic winder which I think my first REV II came with.

I also think my REV I SUL had this clear plastic winder.