Hello from Mauritius Island

btreize

Hello All REVers here :)

I am Bryan from Mauritius Island (Far far away from you) and new to quad lines.

Been flying duals for months and had a deal for a Rev kite i could not let go. Go my Supersonic is coming soon and someone (one of the best flyers, if not the best) directed me here.

So this is my first post in the Revolution Community and seize the occasion to Wish you all a Merry Christmas and Joyful 2012.

B

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

I will start by surfing the forum for existing post that might reply to my simple questions and avoid any duplicate questions here.

This will make some reading to me till my kite arrives..to excited for it to come

Anyway this welcome already makes me feel home here :)

Hi Bryan....

Happy Holidays and welcome to the Rev Family. I know that you will have an awesome 2012 (because you started flying Revs11.gif). It's a life changer; all for the best!

Always feel free to ask about any questions, problems or concerns that you may have. Everyone on this forum is friendly and eager to share their knowledge and experiences.

Happy Flying! :)

Hi Bryan....

Happy Holidays and welcome to the Rev Family. I know that you will have an awesome 2012 (because you started flying Revs11.gif). It's a life changer; all for the best!

Always feel free to ask about any questions, problems or concerns that you may have. Everyone on this forum is friendly and eager to share their knowledge and experiences.

Happy Flying! :)

I agree 100%!!! I just started myself in Sept and absolutly am hooked. I started on a Supersonic also. Now I have 2 Supersonics, 1 Shockwave and 1 Blast. Not to mention my duel lines. It will change your life...just wait and see...if your a couch potato like I was... you won't be for much longer ;) Welcome to the family. Your gonna LOVE it. Don't let your first few attemps discourage you. It takes some getting use to and that Supersonic is Unbelievably Quick. (There's a reason they come with 3 extra spars...you'll probably need them) :) but once you get the feel for it...well, you'll see. Happy Holidays and Happy Flying.

Oyepitsme, thanks for encouraging me in this new world. I know the Supersonic is rapid and can be too rapid for me to learn and hard for a first flyer but i am determined in leaning quad controls and also i had it from a deal i could not let go blue_wink.gif

I will perhaps get a EXP or a REV 1.5 later for more controls and precise flying..need to save bit for this..

How you feel the supersonic at first flight? And of course what you broke in it too laugh.gif

Bryan

If you ever find yourself in Durban - South Africa, then let me know and we can fly together. I'm no JB, but I've been at it for 2 years and feel like I'm starting to get a handle on a few things here and there.

-Steven

Steven, thank you for the help. Will not come to SA soon but we do have business partners there in my job and perhaps a visit for next year. Will definitely meet you for some flying.

Of course if you are jumping to Mtius too let me know..but pretty sure the beaches will keep your kite bag closed during the visit wink.gif

Bryan, I just took a photo/info tour around Mauritius Island... WOW, what a beautiful place!

I'd love to jump over there sometime for some filming and fun.

Pricey plane tickets, but it's tempting. :)

John, take a look of my photos in my portfolio here taken round the island and some more on my facebook page

Yeah tickets are really hot to here but you can save on hotel fees if i offer you stay during your visit.

Of course FREE visit round the island against some personal flying course innocent.gif

You are the most welcome man

Heya Ben :)

Thanks for the welcome..

It's a NICE FAMILY here.. how i wish i was near you and meet you in the fields

A bit lost now as i haven't received my kite yet and haven't got this feeling but i can feel it through the post and videos i watch everyday :)

• 2 weeks later...

So Supersonic is here :)

First flight on Wednesday to get some feel of it (First ever quad line flight too). Staked the handles as in the tutorials and walk down to end of the lines to get the kite connected, wind was a bit too low for it i think and it will just fly few feet before landing back. Waited a bit while having my hands on it on the ground and moving individuals wings (up, down, right & left) to know how things work in this new kite :)

Then winds picked up i managed to get it up... WHAT AM I DOING??? Being still too used with dual lines, i get the kite to move left or right or spins before crashing LE down :(

Harder than i thought, i got some seconds of control before it will just dive towards me with LE forward or spins to much near the ground then crash...

Packed up all before i get something damaged on it's first flight then sat down watching a nice sunset :)

So now i am wondering what could have been wrongly done except user errors. Perhaps to light winds for it to get full control of it. Lines i received with it were #175 and i already built #150 85' for it just in case these are too heavy.

then another issue is that during the spins and turns, it is logic that the lines will twist (2 left twisted with 2 right lines) but is twisting withing the same side possible? I mean top lines will get twisted with bottom lines where the handles hasn't been rotated itself.

Hope my explanations here are clear enough so anyone can understand my issues and drop some help in my newbie Quad career.

Thanks for any help in advance

B

Lines are equal here. But i did modified the handles leaders by lengthening the top leader with a 7" and knots 3/4" apart..but here i don't know how much knots to put and from handle to last knot (taking from handles to end of the leader here) what distance is there.

But i am sure this is more flyer inexperience here :(

So today wind was fine for the Supersonic 12-15kmh. Nice constant sea breeze :)

Had almost 20mins sorting out the lines (#175) i received with the kite, walked from kite to stake more than 25 times to get them separated and untwisted lol. Just a bad line management from the start even if i followed JB tutorials (thanks BTW)

First day is CHAOTIC!!! LOL :D

Told myself i would not want to wait another flight session as i could miss that perfect wind condition. Concentrated and forgot all from dual line and controls

Launch...spins...crashhhh!!! Had another 10mins sorting out what lines and handles i was holding then tried again with more concentration.

Here i am now, handles only 10-12 cms apart in my hands, trying to get both perfectly equal and launch..fly up again, spins but managed this time to get it back LE pointing up :)

Applied some brakes to let it down straight and repeated this hundreds times until 100% forward and reverse back to the ground.

I GET IT NOW clap_1.gif

What a strange feeling i got when i get it back to the top of the window, stopped it there, then reverse it to the ground, few inches and back up again..

Practiced some vertical moves too but they are not as stable as in horizontal flight and still practicing hovering in vertical while pulling upper part toward the wind.

I changed from #175 to a #150 a made myself and the kite flew way better..perhaps less drag on the line and more responsive. Second time unwinding the lines was better and took me only minutes to start flying. but still need to manage them better

Here is a little video my flight mate recorded from the cellphone and this is dedicated to you all here who helped me with this little rocket :)

So thanks a lot everyone and i will post a better video when i get better at Rev flying...next year lol

Stepping into the Dark Side ;D

http://www.youtube.c...eature=youtu.be

Congratulations!! You've got the key to the dark side - control. And unlearning all the dual line habits. That is an awesome video for only your second time flying a supersonic. When I got mine, I put it away for months until I had much more "regular" 1.5 time under my belt, because I kept pulling it into slides and right out of the sky. Bravo, keep up the good work.