KITE PARTY X ~ March 10th-11th 2012

JynxKites

I am feeling sorry for the iQuad boys, going from KP one week to WCRC the next. What a shock to the system!

BTW, next year I am not going to save any vacation time and not go to this fest next year. I am happy to stay wet and cold in the PNW.....NOT!!!!! :lol:

Actually, you're not!! Not ONLY did you use the "F" word in reference to the PARTY, you made it into a four letter one!! Ok guys, let em' have it! Just kidding, go easy.

It's 3:51pm, do you know where you obliviot is?

I just took a peek at the live cam only to see a bunch of revs flying!! Funnier still I whatch a minute and see a group of 4 people come wandering from under the camera.. they proceed to walk right into the flying area right after the kites do a low pass, then get between 2 flying groups and walk straight away from the water toward the boardwalk. Stand there a minut talking then walk straight back toward the water..

I applaud the fliers patience as I never saw the alkers heads move as if being called/yelled at. I know I would have been very frustrated for sure with a huge open beach they could have walked elsewhere on...kid_devlish.gif

Sometimes they're oblivious, sometimes they're not. There were those that would get in the way (usually the surfers) on purpose, I thought. They didn't like us on their beach, and would go where they wanted to go just to show us it's their turf. More so on Monday when there wasn't any tape up to define the field, but early on Sunday there were people knocking down the tape and their supports on purpose.

On Friday, the some spring breakers were throwing a whistling nerf-like football, and intentionally trying to throw it into the kiters and lines of those of us flying at the side next to the pier where the camera is. The closer they got to us, the more the throwers down the beach would laugh.

Sometimes they're oblivious, sometimes they're not. There were those that would get in the way (usually the surfers) on purpose, I thought. They didn't like us on their beach, and would go where they wanted to go just to show us it's their turf. More so on Monday when there wasn't any tape up to define the field, but early on Sunday there were people knocking down the tape and their supports on purpose.

On Friday, the some spring breakers were throwing a whistling nerf-like football, and intentionally trying to throw it into the kiters and lines of those of us flying at the side next to the pier where the camera is. The closer they got to us, the more the throwers down the beach would laugh.

Two weeks ago the city of Los Angeles made it law that nothing may be thrown on the beach except a volley ball or a beach ball. $350.00 fine. Lynn and I thought that was not right. After the experience that Jeff spoke of on Friday, and we had again late on Monday, we understand why it was necessary in L A, and would like to see the same law in Huntington Beach.

It's not just about kiting. Those people were running all over the beach, the other people, and young children. They have no respect for other folks or their property.

Not acceptable behavior.

Hrmm Would be terrible to come to it, but maybe HB PD needs to get a phone call for disturbing the peace? That is basically what they are doing, specially if they are running down kids as well.

The guys I saw were just clueless/claiming thier turf and not a danger, but the football thing sounds very out of line and worth a discreet call?

Two weeks ago the city of Los Angeles made it law that nothing may be thrown on the beach except a volley ball or a beach ball. $350.00 fine. Lynn and I thought that was not right. After the experience that Jeff spoke of on Friday, and we had again late on Monday, we understand why it was necessary in L A, and would like to see the same law in Huntington Beach.

It's not just about kiting. Those people were running all over the beach, the other people, and young children. They have no respect for other folks or their property.

Not acceptable behavior.

100% agree, not acceptable behavior. I was flying in the group with our backs to these idiots, and nearly got hit in the head with the whistling thing. It didn't appear to be nerf-like - more like pretty dense plastic foam, with some heft, because they were throwing it a good 30-50+ yards or so. The only reason it didn't hit me was one of the guys knocked it down less than five feet from my right ear. Had it hit me, when I wasn't looking, it would not have been good. I didn't react because I figured that would just encourage their bad behavior. But it sure would have been fun to see those guys get arrested and/or fined . . .

I saw some of that when I peeked in on the webcam Monday. You'd think the surfers would get used to sharing their beach once a year. Argh! As for the others, there is a very sad overall decline in society in recent years. So Stinks!

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.........

Here are some cool pics the Godfather, John Chilese, took over the course of a few days.....post-1822-13317679529521_thumb.jpgpost-1822-13317680504127_thumb.jpgpost-1822-13317680379612_thumb.jpgpost-1822-13317680229478_thumb.jpgpost-1822-13317680105523_thumb.jpgpost-1822-13317679667023_thumb.jpg

and my favorite........

post-1822-13317681328273_thumb.jpg

Slack lines rule!!!! hehehheh

Here is a link to a wide variety of John's shots from KP 10...which btw, should not be on your list of events not to attend....definitely not!!!!

https://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej/KiteParty10March2012#5719285214194170178

Ya, I heard reports of people actually throwing footballs AT the kites.

I actually spoke to a couple of "ballers" and politely explained that they could continue to try and hit our kites and maybe succeed one in a hundred times whereas if we decided to "play" back we could pound them incessantly and not miss.....ever. I think after that it may have subsided for a short time but clearly boys with small minds trying to impress hot girls in bikinis makes for some foolish behavior.

It shouldn't however take away from the most excellent time had by all at Dave's ever improving, annual non event!!!!!!!!

Huge props to shenkman, the kite connection staff, DJ Dan, Chilese, MacDonald, Jynx, the guys at Zacks, all the great attendees, my iquad bros, the ikesters, everyone collectively and most of all all the prime unsuspecting targets of opportunity that presented themselves both on the pier and the beach.

It was a laff riot from the start.

Need to get more of my east coast homies tho to make the trip. Not to take anything away from Wsikf....ooops, festival.....forget that thought.

Anyway, don't make plans not to go to KP 11 which probably won't happen around the same time it didn't happen this year......Clear?

• Like 1

Hi guys...

What a fantastic time!!

Perfect weather, good wind (Monday was sweeeet perfection!) and of course, perfect friends.

It was awesome seeing old friends and making new ones.

Dave, you rock. For a "NON KITE EVENT" that no one would EVER CARE TO ATTEND, this didn't suck.... or did it? When do the negatives equal a positive? I'm soooooo confused. ... but NOT REALLY. I know where to go in March to have one hell of a time!!

Thanks for the memories of a great time....

I posted my KP10 photo set on flickr, 64 photos. Mostly from Saturday. If you find a photo you want, you can download it. 1) click on the photo 2) click on ACTIONS along the top of the photo 3) click on ALL SIZES. If you just want the link or the html code, click on SHARE along the top of the photo.

6987580829_0d2f89ea21_m.jpg

6841633940_890191556f_m.jpg

Patchwork bol by Kevin Bayless

6987758867_ffef0c114d_m.jpg

Rich, Laura, Mikey

6841628398_bdfe8ac718_m.jpg

dave bradley

6987583251_9619ccc82f_m.jpg

I have to apologize for the fact that there are not so many rev photos in the set, but hey, you may enjoy them anyways. You see, when the wind was nice I was flying, not taking photos. So most of the photos are from Saturday, when there wasn't so much wind to work with.

Thank you Dave for making this awesome party happen. I'm going to make a point of avoiding it like the plague every year. It's much more enjoyable to fly in full rain gear in Portland, you know. kid_smartass.gif