Video, video, video, and it's going to be good.....

beach

I've got some more contest questions..... Thanks for the clarifications!

John mentions 1280 video.... I just got my first video camera and video editing program. Does 1280 mean 1280x720? Does the frame-rate I render to matter? Does the format I render to matter? There are so many choices........

Is there a maximum to the amount of video I can send in? kid_devlish.gif I don't want to overload the judges!

If you're mailing it in to Rev, the preferred format is probably MOV... It's easily created and handled by most video editing software.

Yes to 1280x720... But honestly, if your original is larger, go with the original size... It'll look best on DVD.

I'm not a video expert, sadly, not 100% sure on frame rate...

However, if my minimal understanding is correct, you'll want to match the same frame rate as the original footage you started with, to maintain quality.

If you go to a lower frame rate, you drop some frames (think old film that looks like this [][][][][][][][])...

If you use a higher frame rate than the original, it has to get creative in filling those new frames.

Can someone here confirm or correct that oversimplified explanation?

==

As far as uploading entries to YouTube, none of that matters as much, they can handle just about anything.

Thanks for the tips JB! I especially appreciate the help considering this is a Rev forum smiley-blushing.gif

I totally get the frame-rate explanation - I'll render to the 30 fps the video is shot in, no need to use a fancy option with the video-editing program here.

Is there a maximum length for the video I enter into the contest? 20 minutes of video total? 30 minutes total? Or should it just be the very best 1-4 minutes I can muster?

Alright, just confirmed with the boss... Here are two important clarifications:

1. All video submissions for this contest should be a maximum of 10 minutes in length, this makes it attainable for everyone, and it will assure "the best shots" are used.
  2. All video submissions should also be uploaded to Vimeo or YouTube, otherwise the judges will not be able to review them (geographical limitations).

If you don't want to share your video with the world, I know YouTube will allow you to upload it as "private - only viewable with the direct URL", it won't show up to the general public.

Yes to 1280x720... But honestly, if your original is larger, go with the original size... It'll look best on DVD.

Hi John,

Can you specify the finale destination media ?

The videos which will be selected from the winners are going to be diffused on what sort of media exactly ?

Normal DVD or Blu-ray Disc ?

Polo, they'll be using regular DVD, for distribution to stores as demo media for customers.

Got it Kojima-san, arigato... We'll consider your video. ;)

Thank you John for your answer about the regular DVD. So, in this case the max resolution that accept this media is 720 x 480 (NTSC) or 720 x 576 (PAL).

Why asked videos in high resolution (1280 x 720, or 1920 x 1280) ?

Maybe it's only for another one destination as Youtube ?

Other thing. If the final destination is a regular DVD :

You say that it would be better to not change the "frame rate" to avoid the problems you described perfectly in your message, above. But I think these problems can not be avoided.

Let me explain: If the finale destination is a regular DVD, a choice will have to be made for the final standard (NTSC or PAL). A priori, for the United States, it will be the standard NTSC (30 fps). And like the contest is international, some videos will arrive in PAL standard (25 fps). (And also 24 fps for HD progressive videos.)

In any cases, conversions of the "frame rate" will must be made on some videos. (Except if the winners are only persons who have sent videos in NTSC :) )

I don't know what is the solution :blink:

Polo, I'm only trying to coordinate (and translate) for Ben here... Your technical knowledge of video is clearly superior, I don't have the answers to some of this.

Ultimately though, the important thing is to get good quality videos online where the judges can view them.

Once winning footage is selected, Ben can work with the flier(s) to get a size and format that will work for the end purpose.

This is the reason for keeping the original film in it's best quality, so it can be used *anywhere* at any time in the future.

Is my explanation clear?

Thanks for the questions, good ones, all.

Yes John, your explanation is clear. Thank you.

In fact, as I said above, me neither I have no response for some compatibility problems. particularly for the frame rate.

Just want to clarify why I asked what will be the final media : It's to eventually permit to persons who don't have HD material to be allowed to participate, with their low quality videos. (Of course, at least with a regular DVD quality.)

It was only for that :)

Of course, if the possibilities of diffusion must be multiple (DVD, Blu-ray Disc, Youtube HD, etc.), I understand that at least a resolution of 720p is requested.

Hi Ben!!

This video review is a very good idea.

I will present the performance of my quad teams in Japan.

It's named Wind Ripper.

http://www.youtube.c...feature=mh_lolz

Please look this perfomance to three judges, and everyone.

Very nice performance, I enjoyed the video. I aspire to the level of precision your team shows.

Just FYI to those with kids . . . . the music did not bother me, but I probably won't let my son watch the video (with the sound on) as there are some lyrics that are not kid-appropriate (at least in my house).

• Like 2

Got another contest question...

Since we must publish the video online to be judged (YT, Vimeo, etc.)..... Should we mail in our entries before judging is finished?

What ever works for you the video hard copy is for me to use in the upcoming store DVD or training video or as a master video, I would love to have the hard

copy as soon as possible but I'm pretty for giving on rules...... Benblue_cool.gifblue_cool.gifblue_cool.gif

Well . . . here's my first attempt at video. Don't want Ben getting upset!

Wish the pilot was better . . . . but I'm reasonably happy with where I am for a land-bound midwest flyer with only a bit over a year of part-time quad line . . . I just have a long way to go to catch up . . . . better get out flying again!

I'll post some more later . . . my son really wants me to post up some video of him flying, because as soon as I told him about this contest, he wanted to enter!

Well . . . here's my first attempt at video. Don't want Ben getting upset!

Wish the pilot was better . . . . but I'm reasonably happy with where I am for a land-bound midwest flyer with only a bit over a year of part-time quad line . . . I just have a long way to go to catch up . . . . better get out flying again!

I'll post some more later . . . my son really wants me to post up some video of him flying, because as soon as I told him about this contest, he wanted to enter!

Thank you very much and your doing very good in a short time also please we would love to see your son fly..... Benblue_cool.gifblue_cool.gifblue_cool.gif

Ben, this isn't like shooting video of a wedding, graduation, or a baby being born - Revolution deserves only the very best video I can capture!

This I do understand me and Monkey went out today and even with three cameras and light wind we got a few nice cuts which I will post this week

after Monk leaves but it was mostly kid_cussing.gif the good thing is we had fun....... So just do the best you can cause I do understand..... Benblue_cool.gifblue_cool.gifblue_cool.gif