Trying to get permission to use facilities?

katrina

A year ago Scott Koenig, Watty, Dean, REVflyer, John Farrell, and Theresa put together a list of guidelines for flying indoors. Mousie and Monkey gave thoughtful pyrotechnics suggestions. kid_devlish.gif Here's Scott's original post. I added an intro. It's something to give facilities managers when you are trying to get permission to fly somewhere new. It's gotten me into my local rec center and Bally's so far.

letter as a google doc, not editable

letter as a google doc, editable

Rev specific letter, not editable

Rev specific letter, editable

Note that once you edit one of the editables, it will look like that for whoever opens the link thereafter. I was thinking that if the the group thought of something to add or change, you wouldn't be dependent on me to do the changing. You can also just copy and paste the text into your own document, if you want to make changes.

Happy Flying! blue_wink.gif

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

kid_cussing.gif Went to my local YMCA this morning to inquire about flying my Indoor Rev on their courts. The girl at the front desk looked at me funny when I mentioned I wanted to fly my kite indoors, but she promptly called the facility manager to ask for me. The facility manager kept her on the phone for 2 minutes. Once she got off the phone, she smirked at me and said, "I'm sorry the answer is no." No other explanation whatsoever; the manager spoke for 2 minutes straight about it and all should could tell me was "No".

I instantly lost my cool, on the inside anyway. I gave her a polite "thanks for your help" and walked out the door. I was so frustrated I couldn't think straight for half my drive home.

I'm thinking clearer now. My best course of action will be to arrange face-to-face a meeting with the YMCA manager. I think I'll bring my laptop so I can show them some video, along with the document above to leave with them.

Does anyone have any advice for how I should approach a manager who has already said no?

Education is the key. Your laptop (videos) and a kite would be best, so they can see exactly what you are trying to do.

Being such a new idea to most people, they really don't understand what indoor flying is really about. Once educated they may not be so quick to say no. Also, talking to the dork at the front desk is usually not the best way. Try to go straight to the ones that can make the decisions, educate them and your chances will be much more in your favor.

Approach is another thing. Just walking in and saying "Hey, I want to fly a kite in your gym." will get you that dreaded Two-Headded-Monster look. Saying "Hi there, I am a professional Kite Flyer and I was wondering if it would be possible for me to work on my indoor flying skills in your gym?" peaks their interest and they are now more likely to ask questions about the sport and once you get them talking about it, they become more acceptable of it.

Hope that helps.

• Like 3

Education is the key. Your laptop (videos) and a kite would be best, so they can see exactly what you are trying to do.

Being such a new idea to most people, they really don't understand what indoor flying is really about. Once educated they may not be so quick to say no. Also, talking to the dork at the front desk is usually not the best way. Try to go straight to the ones that can make the decisions, educate them and your chances will be much more in your favor.

Approach is another thing. Just walking in and saying "Hey, I want to fly a kite in your gym." will get you that dreaded Two-Headded-Monster look. Saying "Hi there, I am a professional Kite Flyer and I was wondering if it would be possible for me to work on my indoor flying skills in your gym?" peaks their interest and they are now more likely to ask questions about the sport and once you get them talking about it, they become more acceptable of it.

Hope that helps.

Spot on, this has worked for me.

Thanks Kent and JB!

Glad to hear I'm on the right track. I appreciate the input as I need to practice this conversation a little, to help me leave my type A-ness out of this.

I like the thought of saying "I'm a professional kite flier" smile.gif I wonder if I can do it with a straight face smiley-blushing.gif I've decided not to approach the manager again until I have my Indoor dialed in properly and can fly it proficiently enough - today was an interesting lesson in Indoor piloting smiley-blushing.gif

Sky, I haven't gotten into indoor"yet". But, have you tried different place besides the "Y", Indoor soccer fields? A lot of schools have large gyms, as well as a lot of churchs, have indoor rec facilitys. Just a thoughtsmile.gif

Michael

Ah! Churches sound like a great next place to start. Unfortunately, not too many churches in my neighborhood, or churches with gyms, but there are a couple I will try! That makes me think; we have a few "senior centers" around my area (popular retirement community), they have gyms, I should ask there as well.

I have asked at the local public schools, and the answer was a big "NO". They cited security reasons mainly, saying I would not be able to be left alone at the gym, especially during school hours, and they couldn't assign personnel to be there with me.

Not too many indoor fields in Las Vegas. This city gets the second most amount of annual sunshine in the world! There are a few, however, they are very far away from home.

I'm hoping for the "Y" I speak of for many reasons, and most of them have to do with proximity to my home. The park I've been doing most of my outdoor flying at is right across the street from this Y, and they have a nice pool. Here's hopin'!

Thanks for the advice guys!

I'm using an indoor soccer facility!! The owner had seen Connor on TV, so he knew a bit about what I wanted to do!! As long as there are no practices, lessons, or other uses, I use it every afternoon, Mon - Thurs!!kid_devlish.gif But I gotta yield to the paying users!!kid_cussing.gif

PS: I was lucky, both the owner and manager had worked for the school system and knew how much hassle getting in to the schools is!!

• 1 year later...

here's a link to Jared Haworth's videos http://www.youtube.com/user/jardeon if you need some additional footage.

The ones from the National Air & Space Museum's indoor fly in March are probably most valuable. The Smithsonian Institution is a part of the federal government and priceless displays for the public to share is it's entire mission. Our flying space is tight in there, some of the UAVs are only 14 feet from the floor (I'm over six feet tall without my arms extending up!).

3 years ago they stopped moving displays, we just fly and don't damage anything. (notice I didn't say we don't hit them!) We walk thru the crowds flying on magic wands, have displays set-up in the lobby and a dedicated area for ballet performances with music and minor barriers to prevent the spectators from crossing into our location.

It all begins with someone laughing at you, just keep a straight face and sally forth!

I flew indoors for a few moments in the airport lobby up in Regina Canada, now my picture hangs in urinals at Mountie Stations across the country! I didn't seek permission, which is always an error.

• 3 months later...