First Rev and had to go extreme!

spudnut

Hello to all,

I used to fly 2-line stunt kites back in the 1980's and when I told my kids about them, they loved the idea. So, now we all have stunt kites. I have been using a ram-air quad 2.5 as I love the power. I just bought my first Rev and is it ever different. Never one to start slow, I went for the Shockwave. This thing is amazing - the sensitivity on the handles is totally different than the ram air kites. I have encountered a number of issues so far, but they have been answered researching this forum. Some of the issues were: best ways to wind/unwind lines; assembly/disassembly; keeping sand out of end caps as I fly at the beach. The videos as well as discussions have all been very helpful. I even found the video on how to even out the top and bottom lines!

For those with the Shockwave, does anyone else have a problem getting kite, line w/winder and handles into the bag that comes with it?

Also, I am in Ventura, Calif. Any Rev fliers this way?

Hello to all,

I used to fly 2-line stunt kites back in the 1980's and when I told my kids about them, they loved the idea. So, now we all have stunt kites. I have been using a ram-air quad 2.5 as I love the power. I just bought my first Rev and is it ever different. Never one to start slow, I went for the Shockwave. This thing is amazing - the sensitivity on the handles is totally different than the ram air kites. I have encountered a number of issues so far, but they have been answered researching this forum. Some of the issues were: best ways to wind/unwind lines; assembly/disassembly; keeping sand out of end caps as I fly at the beach. The videos as well as discussions have all been very helpful. I even found the video on how to even out the top and bottom lines!

For those with the Shockwave, does anyone else have a problem getting kite, line w/winder and handles into the bag that comes with it?

Also, I am in Ventura, Calif. Any Rev fliers this way?

Welcome to the Dark Side.

You will surely find your answers here whether the questions have previously been asked or not.

Your timing of flying dual line kites is about like mine. However, I switched to quads quite early around 1990.

Keeping sand out of the end caps: (there are some threads here on this subject)

One thing that does help is surgical(silicon) tube over the end caps and about a half inch up the rod.

Now, if the end cap does come off, you will get sand inside your rods anyway. This sand needs to shaken out before you put the end cap back on. At the end of the flying day it would help a lot to wash out the leading edge pocket and the rods in order get all the sand out. The reason for this if you get fine sand inside the rods, they could be difficult to pull apart when you need to breakdown your kite for going into the bag.

Winding and unwinding lines: (there are some threads here on this subject)

There are several techniques and most work quite well. I use the figure-8 technique as demonstrated by Joe Hadzicki in the video that comes/came with most REVs. It is wise to pair up the lines before winding. I pair one side as a pair and the other side as the other pair. Don't let a line or a pair of lines fall through the other pair before you start winding. I tend, but not always place a finger between pairs as I wind both pairs on the winder at the same time. When I get to the other end, I take the lines off the kite or handles in those same pairs separately, being careful that a line or pair of lines do not fall through the other pair. Then I wind the ends on the winder and bungee them. I run about a 99% success of unwinding lines with only one or two twists to have them straightened out. As I mentioned, I wind in a figure-8, some wind straight. Another more time consuming, but effective way is to wind one pair first and then the other pair on top of it.

How you do it is totally up to you.

Enjoy, John M

The silicon tube is defeated if the end caps fall off and you dig a tip in the sand. So, be sure to clean out that rod before putting that end cap back on. Then you will be good.

Down the road in San Diego, there are lot of REV fliers. There is a kite club there that meets every 2nd Saturday of the month at Mission Bay Park south of the Hilton. Most attending fly REVs.

There are also a number of REV fliers in the LA area. I really don't know where they all fly.

I know Huntington Beach is one of the places where they hold a festival in February.

Hey spudnut.............Welcome to the dark side, all the way from over here on the "Right Coast" !

I think you are on track, so far as the "sand in the end-caps" issue. As John mentioned, silicon tubing is great. kid_smartass.gif

As for your other issue, with the bag, and getting everything back in - forget it. This is a problem, not only with the Shockwave, but with all Revs. There's just not enough room in those little pouches, to get all that stuff back in. Anyway, I'd guess that probably 99%, of the Rev fliers out there, use a larger bag, to store/transport their kites, hence the factory sleeve ends up housing only the rev kite itself, while all the lines & handles get placed elsewhere, in the larger kite bag. Personally, I have a duffel style bag, that carries all my revs together, and I lay 3 sets of handles on top of the revs, in the bag. Then there is a separate area (pouch) in the bag, to keep the line sets...............blue_wink.gif

Then again, there is the beautiful, Revolution Multikite bag, that unrolls to provide ample storage for numerous revs, plus lines & handles, and all sorts of other stuff. Don't worry, you'll be getting more Revs, so go on and get yourself a kite bag kid_devlish.gif

Actually the Spudnut comes from Spudnut donuts! My wife and I used to live on boats. When she got pregnant with our first child, we walked to the donut store and the baby in the womb became known as our little spudnut! It has stuck with me ever since. I am hoping for good winds today after surfing.

Today I definitely had the best winds yet with the shockwave. The winds were a very steady 15 knots. This kite can really fly fast. Also I was able to power it up between a 1.5 and 2.5 ram air kite. The sound coming off the shockwave adds to the fun. I am already thinking about my next rev!