Hello Philadelphia quad fliers! Need advice.

badkarma

Question

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum, prospective 1st-time Rev buyer. I'm considering the B-series mid-vent. I live in Philadelphia, and I go to the New Jersey shore roughly half-a-dozen times per year (Cape May, usually). My questions for the group:

1) does the mid-vent make sense for these two locales? I've heard Philadelphia winds described (on this forum, I think) as "squirrely" - which makes me think the Standard would be better. Alternately, it's pretty windy down the shore, hence the idea of getting a vented model. (no, buying 2 is not an option for the time being). Mid-vent is a compromise between the two options.

2) for those of you who live in the area, where do you fly (and what do you fly when you're there)? Is there a local meetup?

Thanks in advance!

20 answers to this question

Hi badkarma-

Welcome to the forum and the Rev Family.

I'm part of the "Jersey Crew". We generally fly at LSP (Liberty State Park) ... Exit 14B on the Jersey Turnpike. There are usually 3,4 or more flyers on any given day that we're flying; at the very least! Sometimes, we head to Belmar; especially after the summer is over. There are flyers in your area; though some come and "play" with us. Also, there's a really good flyer in Wildwood (his home turf). Though he's been busy lately, he's been starting to get back in his "Rev Groove". His name on the forum is Antman. If you plan on going there, post it and maybe he can join you. He's a good teacher, too.

As for your kite choice.... Do you have any quadline experience? Any dual line? Do you plan to fly more locally or by the water? What length lines do you plan to fly on? If you plan on staying inland more, I would go with a full sail to start. Where would you be buying the Rev from? Some B Series come with two frames. Do you know which ones you'd prefer? I would get a "Race Frame" and a three wrap. If they can do the Race Frame, it might cost a few $$ more (not sure that it's a choice, but I highly recommend that).

If you plan on flying Belmar or LSP, post it on here and we'll try to join you.

Hope this helps.

Take care and have fun!

Thanks for the quick reply!

I've flown dual-line kites, only at the beach. This will be my first quad. Saw some YouTube videos and was mesmerized - decided I had to have one. I'd love to be able to fly locally in Philadelphia - I hear Belmont Plateau and Pennypack Park aren't bad. I'd say flying down the shore is the higher priority (but it would be nice to fly locally). Don't know the answer to the line length question. My dual-line is a on 75ft lines. Sounds like 80-90ft and 120ft are common lengths for Revs?

I'm open to suggestions as to where to buy - was planning on shopping around online. I was counting on getting a B-series set with 2 frames specifically to take advantage of the wider wind range.

I keep hearing the term "Race Frame" but don't really know what that is - can you describe? On the 'Product' page, the B-series 1.5 looks like it comes with a 2-wrap and 3-wrap frame. The vented comes with a 3-wrap and 4-wrap.

Maybe one of these days I'll make it up to LSP - thanks for the invite!

Hi badkarma-

I'm part of the "Jersey Crew". We generally fly at LSP (Liberty State Park) ... Exit 14B on the Jersey Turnpike. There are usually 3,4 or more flyers on any given day that we're flying; at the very least! Sometimes, we head to Belmar; especially after the summer is over. There are flyers in your area; though some come and "play" with us. Also, there's a really good flyer in Wildwood (his home turf). Though he's been busy lately, he's been starting to get back in his "Rev Groove". His name on the forum is Antman. If you plan on going there, post it and maybe he can join you. He's a good teacher, too.

As for your kite choice.... Do you have any quadline experience? Any dual line? Do you plan to fly more locally or by the water? What length lines do you plan to fly on? If you plan on staying inland more, I would go with a full sail to start. Where would you be buying the Rev from? Some B Series come with two frames. Do you know which ones you'd prefer? I would get a "Race Frame" and a three wrap. If they can do the Race Frame, it might cost a few $ more (not sure that it's a choice, but I highly recommend that).

Hope this helps.

Take care and have fun!

Hi badkarma-

As for your kite choice.... Do you have any quadline experience? Any dual line? Do you plan to fly more locally or by the water? What length lines do you plan to fly on? If you plan on staying inland more, I would go with a full sail to start. Where would you be buying the Rev from? Some B Series come with two frames. Do you know which ones you'd prefer? I would get a "Race Frame" and a three wrap. If they can do the Race Frame, it might cost a few $$ more (not sure that it's a choice, but I highly recommend that).

Hope this helps.

Take care and have fun!

Hi!

Welcome to the forum!

As Laura says, there are lots of flyers in your area to hook up with :)

Any or all of them will be more than happy to show you the ins and outs.

A full sail...Standard Package....is probably your best coice to start with for inland flying. And yes, the B Standard package comes with 2 frame sets. One std and one light wind. However, I swap out any frame for any other choice if preferred. And yes, a Race frame can be swapped out for one of the other frames. Most folks up grade the package to have a Race frame (+$40) and a 2 wrap.

http://www.thekiteshoppe.com/products/Revolution-1.5-B-Series-Standard-Package.html

Welcome again! And have fun flying!

Theresa

I am a local flyer based near Valley Forge, PA. I fly occasionally at a small local park in Worcester Township, but the winds are never very good. I have tried Belmont Plateau once and felt it could be a good site, but was dead on the day I tried. As I tend to avoid the Shure-kill Distressway and the city whenever possible, I haven't been back since my several hour crawl home from that trip to Belmont. I highly recommend the New Jersey shore. I occasionally join the Jersey crew at Liberty or Belmar for great fun and consider the beach at Wildwood very good for kiting. What you will find is that Rev flying is a fun challenge to learn, but the fun increases dramatically when your skills develop enough to fly with others in team style.

What I did was start with a full non-vented B series kite anticipating mostly local flying, then later added the full vented for the shore. Eventually I added the mid-vent which is now my favorite, but I am unable to use it locally. Inland breezes have rarely been sufficient for me to enjoy with vents, but shore breezes can often overpower a non-vented, especially when needing the precision for team flying.

My best suggestion is to start with the unvented, a 3-wrap set, and a race rod set for some versatility. Use the race rods for inland breezes, then swap out for 3-wraps for more wind. For even higher wind, you can use both sets in the leading edge to handle even more wind. Then fly with others at Liberty or other shore spot and borrow venteds from the others to see why you will want at least 2 Revs when your skills progress.

As to lines, 80-90' is usually standard for solo flying, while 120' is the standard length you will need once you are ready to learn to fly in close proximity to others.

I hope my thoughts are helpful. YMMV

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

I'll most often fly solo - will use 80ft lines based on your recommendations.

Sounds like the non-vented/Standard would not be ideal for the beach, and the mid-vent/full-vent would be shaky inland (especially in Philly). Quite the dilemma...

Finally, I found a nice description of the race frame / race rods - posting here for posterity so future newbies like me can find it:

• Race Rods are specifically designed to fit into the Revolution 1.5 SLE kite. The "Race Rods" have all the strength of the current production 3 Wrap "Ultra Light" rods but only weight about as much as the 2 wrap "Professional Use Only" rods. This is great for those who are looking for performance in light wind but are also stuck flying in areas that experience sudden gusts and wind shifts. The "Race Rods" will lighten up your 1.5 SLE for those light wind days but still work well for flying in stronger winds.
    • Specs:
      • 1/4 inch 3 wrap rods (Ultra Light) 19 grams
      • 1/4 inch 2 Wrap SUL (Professional Use Only) 13.5 grams
      • Race Rods 12.5 grams

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

I'll most often fly solo - will use 80ft lines based on your recommendations.

Sounds like the non-vented/Standard would not be ideal for the beach, and the mid-vent/full-vent would be shaky inland (especially in Philly). Quite the dilemma...

Hi badkarma...

Just to clarify: the mid vent or full vent are for more wind (the beach, generally) and the standard sail for inland or lighter or winds. (Hopefully, you'll have some occasions where you have decent wind inland!

Definitely upgrade your package to include race rods and 3 wraps. (Theresa said race and 2, but we know she meant race and 3 :kid_content:)

Race rods replace the 2s. Very few experienced flyers find any use for the 2s once they upgrade to race. It's spendier to start with, but cheaper in the long run because you won't have to pay for 2s AND race. Fly with your 3 wraps first. If the wind is light, it'll be more difficult, but as a true beginner you would be risking breaking a race rod your first time out. Of course if you do break one, it is only one in a set of 5, not the end of the world. Not like the whole frame must be replaced. Welcome to the forum and to rev flying! :blue-cool:

Definitely upgrade your package to include race rods and 3 wraps. (Theresa said race and 2, but we know she meant race and 3 kid_content.gif)

Race rods replace the 2s. Very few experienced flyers find any use for the 2s once they upgrade to race. It's spendier to start with, but cheaper in the long run because you won't have to pay for 2s AND race. Fly with your 3 wraps first. If the wind is light, it'll be more difficult, but as a true beginner you would be risking breaking a race rod your first time out. Of course if you do break one, it is only one in a set of 5, not the end of the world. Not like the whole frame must be replaced. Welcome to the forum and to rev flying! blue_cool.gif

I fully agree with Katrina's advice. I never use my 2-wrap frame anymore because the race rods are so much more durable. I was always concerned that I could break the 2-wrap in higher winds, but the race rods have a wider wind range. BTW, I have never broken a rod of any type yet after 3 years - they are remarkably tough. I keep my fully vented setup with 3-wraps and my standard and mid-vent with the race rods, then change if I feel it is needed. I have yet to use the 4-wrap set I got for use with the vented for when the wind really screams, but too much wind is rarely my limitation.

My personal preference is to be slightly overpowered rather than underpowered. It is easier and more fun for me to adjust the brakes and frame to control higher wind than have to struggle to keep airborne, so I believe that a standard Rev is probably a better starting point than the vented ones for mostly inland flying.

I'm inland here with winds that go all over the place. I know I buck the norm here, but I prefer a mid-vent and a 2-wrap frame 80% of the time for the crap I fly in. A std sail in gusts that can be 20 kph or more difference is a nightmare to fly. Just my two cents. You'll find your preferences too.

Bart

Welcome to the forum, Bad! You're definitely in the right place to find the info and friendly folk you need! :)

I'm another inland flier from PA. I have to tell you honestly, that my two most used Revs here at home are my full sails and I love LOVE my Midvent!!! The BSeries package is a sweet thing. I totally agree with those who have said to upgrade your package to Race Rods & 3 Wraps. You'll need the 3Wraps to learn on and go through the initial abuse your kite will take. After you start to get the hang of things and settle down, you will see the beauty of the Race Rods. They have a nice flex to them that us inland fliers with "bumpy winds" really need.

As for the shore, I've flown Cape May many times. There is a lovely little kite festival down there every September. Ironically, I've used my Midvent and Zen (a Super Ultralight Rev) there the most in recent years. You'll probably need 80' lines or shorter for that beach depending on what part you go to. Now... as Love2fly already mentioned, Wildwood is a mere 6 miles north of the Cape and the winds there are just fabulous. I'm sure Antman would be thrilled to have another Rev flier visit and he makes a fun teacher as well. It's very worth checking out.

Oh! Totally forgot... As far as buying your Rev, Cape May has a kite shop, but they don't really stock Revs. I think there's a kite shop in Stone Harbor that sells Revs, but I could be wrong. You can't however go wrong with ordering online from Theresa at The Kite Shoppe, as well as A Wind Of Change. There is also a link here on the Rev Site proper which lists the Rev Dealers by state.

Hi Badkarma - I live in Princeton. I fly in Liberty State Park, Belmar, Sandy Hook (occasionally, it isn't really allowed) and locally at Rosedale Park and the Princeton fields. Rosedale Park is actually a pretty good fly spot. It's in Pennington NJ, right off 95 after you cross over from Bucks county. I've described it at Kitemap.org and in this thread:

http://www.revkites.com/forum/topic/4511-rosedale-park-hopewell-nj/page__p__74572__hl__Rosedale__fromsearch__1entry74572

I was just there today and someone came up to me to say he had an old Rev I in his basement and he was inspired to get it out. See you out there.

Thanks, everyone,

Just placed my order last night, 3-wrap and Race Rod upgrade (in a perhaps controversial move, went with the slightly smaller and less expensive B2 instead of the 1.5).

ahofer - I think that big flat area in Fairmont Park is also called "Belmont Plateau". Has one of the best views of the skyline in the city and was also recommended by a few others. I will definitely check it out and report back.

Aerochic - I got my 2-line from that kite shop in Cape May, but you're right they don't carry Revs. Very friendly folks, excellent customer service, 2 generation family-run business.

Also just learned a close relative is moving to DC, so now I've got an excuse to go visit the WOW crowd.

Hello, Dark Side... :sign_kitelife:

BadKarma,

The WOW gigs are listed on the club's web-site calendar, but a few of us also frequent this forum, so let us know when you're coming out. We usually meet flyers at the Washington Monument grounds (west side, by a huge tree w/5 trunks cabled together, you can't miss it, looks like a hand stickin' up!) because it's pretty centrally located to many of our residences. Most of us are within an hour's drive of it anyway!

You can work on your no-stinkin' wind/unlimited-ceiling flight skills with us, as well as fly a few OPKs. Nobody sets up just one Rev, or travels with less than a half a dozen. Pick the one you like most (by feel & comparison), then we'll gang-up around you for some classic Cluster F- lying WOW style. Nobody wants to call, follows directions, or even listens to those around 'em. Usually everyone is wearing headphones and none of the music is the same. We switch locations on the line frequently too, attempting to herd cats by calling from each side, sometimes even from the middle. Nobody cares, it's all giggling fun, occasionally some foolish spectator will traverse our holy ground. We let them know right quick which direction heads towards the safety zone. We're NOT supposed to chase spectators on the sidewalks, for example. In fact, it's like kite flying in kindergarden, there are so many rules, we have to go over them with uniformed authoritative figures quite frequently, HA!

-plm

PS: Please come join us some 1st Sunday,

visit the relatives, see some national sights and break bread. Every culinary desire is available in this metro area, either by METRO rail service, or cab, parking can be a location-specific issue though. Make certain you contact some one familiar with the city for detailed instructions, likely parking spot opportunities (and times!) before driving down to the DC mall grounds, . . . .... . . . there's always something going on downtown that impacts traffic negatively!

Pick the one you like most (by feel & comparison), then we'll gang-up around you for some classic Cluster F- lying WOW style. Nobody wants to call, follows directions, or even listens to those around 'em. Usually everyone is wearing headphones and none of the music is the same. We switch locations on the line frequently too, attempting to herd cats by calling from each side, sometimes even from the middle. Nobody cares, it's all giggling fun, occasionally some foolish spectator will traverse our holy ground. We let them know right quick which direction heads towards the safety zone. We're NOT supposed to chase spectators on the sidewalks, for example. In fact, it's like kite flying in kindergarden, there are so many rules, we have to go over them with uniformed authoritative figures quite frequently, HA!

-plm

4.gif

Hello Paul....

Can't wait to get down there for some good old Cluster F-lyng kid_devlish.gif 2.gif style!!!

See you all soon (I hope!)

xoxo

Also just learned a close relative is moving to DC, so now I've got an excuse to go visit the WOW crowd.

Congrats Karma! You'll be in for loads of fun! I've heard nothing but good about the B2!

I'm also green with envy! You have the perfect outlet to hang with the Wowsters! Such a great group of kiters! Every kite club should be like theirs! Listen to Paul / Revflyer... he knows his stuff! I can't tell you how many times he's helped me and others here on the forum! :ani_punk:

After flying the B2, the 1.5 will feel almost like a zen feels to the rest of us. The B2 is much easier to axel, which is fun.

I couldn't agree more about the B2. When I've been flying my B2 full vent and I switch back to my 1.5 it feels for a while like it's in slow motion, a LOT like going from a 1.5 to a Zen. I pulled off my first axels recently with the B2, something I'm still working on with the 1.5. And this kite practically flic-flacs itself at any angle, another thing I'm still working on with the 1.5. Doesn't feel as precise to me as my 1.5s and in my hands it's less graceful, but loads of fun. :)