Newbie jumps in the deep water...

sntlewis

Amen to that Stan (Welcome to the forum!) part of the reason I took to flying kites in the first place! No shortage of wind in Vegas either.

Nowadays, flying kites mainly, and some "indoor" model aircraft flying (micro planes, helicopters) for when I need my R/C fix wink.gif

For killer excitement go the other way, fly the "indoor" outdoor in light wind.... kid_smartass.gif

Or fly 1/3scale indoors kid_devlish.gif

Stan

1/3 scale!!!!!! w00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gif

In another topic, I posted a pic of the Walkera micro-heli I fly. The pic shows a suspiciously (ahem!) missing/broken tail rotor..........

I can't imagine the sort of damage I could do to the inside of my home trying to fly a 1/3 scale indoors laugh.gif

Nah, fly in someone else's home kid_devlish.gif

Stan

Flew the shockwave a bit today (got a decent wind for a little while)....

Learned some basic things...

1) do not pull on lines.. (like dlk)...

2) keep sail loaded otherwise it wont turn....

3) may have to "pump" or tug on lines to keep sail loaded

4) kite gets squirrelly when the sail unloads (stalled)

5) when stalls kite has a mind of its own...

Just like my r/c airplanes...

Moral of today's lesson DON"T STALL THE KITE blue_music.gif

Got some more time with the Shockwave today.... It was a blast (oh no that is another rev. blue_biggrin.gif)

Only had the Walk Of Shame a couple of times and 1-2 "hard landings." Shockwave is definitely hard to fly in lighter/gusty winds, today was much better..

Now if I can only remember to count the number of spins clockwise while trying to maintain control.....

Believe me I can't wait til I get some 15mph winds (ok I can wait need more 8-10 mph to work on control).

• 4 weeks later...

Got some good wind (enough that I've already taken some OTC painkillers)....

Again a really great time (ask me tomorrow 'cuz I know I will ache). I didn't have to move around much to keep the kite in the air. I did however move when it commanded me to move (read jerk me around).

Learned some key things namely the importance of having to add brake (or move the top lines out) as there were times when I could not "get on the brakes quick enough" :kid_brooding: to stop or turn.

Landed and adjusted the top lines out a knot, relaunch, much better in terms of manuverability.

Flew to my hearts content (ok not really)...

Later..... Stan

Learned some key things namely the importance of having to add brake (or move the top lines out) as there were times when I could not "get on the brakes quick enough" kid_brooding.gif to stop or turn.

Landed and adjusted the top lines out a knot, relaunch, much better in terms of manuverability.

Later..... Stan

Hey Stan, Sounds like you are really picking up, on this thing...........Keep it up, it only gets better..............laugh.gif

Now that I've reflected on yesterday's flying time (and no I didn't have to take anymore Ibuprofen todayblue_wink.gif)

I did not take the time to move the top lines out further so I am only making a guess at this point...

If I had moved the top lines too far out, the kite would have gotten progressively harder to launch and eventually to the point that again there would not be enough brake (due to having to fly with the handle tops near if not completely in)....

Determine "how much brake" is correct by tuning from an inverted position. Start with the kite resting on it's leading edge, sitting on the ground. Now add "down" (shorter bottoms or lengthen the top leaders) until the kite will back-up while remaining in this orientation. That's how much DOWN is correct. Now you can add one knot of forward drive if you feel this is completely unfair to your developing skills. The sooner you become comfortable with all this down, the sooner you'll own your hover and not go surging-off with the slightest hint of a forward command. When in doubt, add DOWN first, . . . . you're tuning to get the sail square against the wind, not leaning either forward or backwards, but perfectly perpendicular. Leaning causes the wind to be dumped either off the trailing edge or off of the leading edge.

There's only a slight difference between forward flight and full reverse in the control actions of the handles. It's counter-productive to pull the leading edge towards you, by adding lots of forward drive!

Lighten your grip and relax yourself completely in the upper body.

Some days there's just not going to be enough wind to make the speed series go (NOT worth the hassle of all your flight efforts). This is when the addiction really starts to kick-in. Suddenly you'll decide you need something different, more specialized equipment and the "arms race" is on once again!

Ah... the arms race... MADD (mutual addiction and driven to devour the REV) :kid_devlish:

Already picked out my next REV. Going to go much lighter in the wind range but not to the indoor/zen, a 1.5 B.

BTW, it sounds like I still have way too much down as to get the kite to launch inverted I have to haul in on the bottoms (almost all the way). Next time out (assuming good wind), I going out further on the tops.

Stan

BTW, it sounds like I still have way too much down as to get the kite to launch inverted I have to haul in on the bottoms (almost all the way). Next time out (assuming good wind), I going out further on the tops.

Stan

Stan, Possibly you may have stated that wrong. Letting out on the tops, is the same as adding more brake, or maybe I'm not understanding what you are saying (that's possible, for sure). If you are having trouble launching from the inverted position, then you need, more brake, which you should get, by letting out the tops.............

You know, we are making this sound a lot more complicated, than it really is. This isn't "rocket science", but close !blue_wink.gif

You really need to meet up with Lee & I, over in Louisburg. There is nothing like hands on help, and I think we can help to shorten up your learning curve.............next weekend looks good, especially Sunday (67F and better winds, hopefully)smile.gif

ps...........1.5 B is an excellent choice - Standard Sail, I'll assume ! confused_1.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just received my new pro replacement sails yesterday. They are so new and crispy, I'm almost embarrassed at the beating they will receive in my hands! New full sail and new mid-vent to replace the ones I've treated so poorly. My bride Barbara and Dantonio were both quite specific,... "those old ones gotta' go!"

I've got 'em all rigged just as I want 'em and I can't hardly wait to thrash the stitches out of Bazzer's gorgeous craftsmanship. One's an SUL and it is a perfect set of conditions for testing right now, I might be feeling too poorly the rest of the afternoon and use some of the 800+ hrs of sick leave I've accrued.