100 Grid

Felix

From Facebook:-

I'm thinking that it will not be possible to do 100 fliers at Berck 2012 but that a different strategy should be put in place.

Maybe a group/event should be formed asking those fliers who 'will' find the resources to attend to sign up!

Where in the world is the cheapest destination with good flying conditions?

Felix

I'm thinking that it will not be possible to do 100 fliers at Berck 2012 but that a different strategy should be put in place.

Maybe a group/event should be formed asking those fliers who 'will' find the resources to attend to sign up!

Felix

It isn't only the financial resources, but a place that will have rooms easy to obtain without some other large group competing for them.

How about Bristol just before the Festival? Maybe a week or two? When would that be?

It isn't only the financial resources, but a place that will have rooms easy to obtain without some other large group competing for them.

How about Bristol just before the Festival? Maybe a week or two? When would that be?

Bristol will not be happening in 2012. It is an 'inland' site effectively and over the years I have been there the wind has been inconsistent! It only has the one hotel close by...

I wonder what the out of season costs are for hotel accommodation in Scheveningen? Transport from Amsterdam Schiphol Airport is easy and quick.

Felix

Scheveningen might work. Visited there in the late 80s. Only a short trip from one of our favorites cities, Brugge. Close to the UK where we could visit long time friends in Chester.

I can find many hotels near the beach but no prices. I'll continue to search.

Perhaps in the spring or fall while school is in session?

When is the wind best?

What about Kite Party in Huntington Beach, CA?

Los Angeles airport is nearby with reasonable flights.

Smooth beach winds and a wide beach.

Hi Mike,

I thought that there was a 75ft line length limit there?

I think that the proposal would have to be about the cheapest destination for the maximum number of fliers.

Felix

Scheveningen might work. Visited there in the late 80s. Only a short trip from one of our favorites cities, Brugge. Close to the UK where we could visit long time friends in Chester.

I can find many hotels near the beach but no prices. I'll continue to search.

Perhaps in the spring or fall while school is in session?

When is the wind best?

I mentioned Scheveningen as we had just been back two weeks ago after a long absence and it is a big beach even at high tide. I have an idea that budget accommodation is available as well, in some quantity.

The Sunday afternoon conditions were equivalent to Long Beach WA. <grins>

Felix

Felix

Of course, I would like to suggest 2012 WSIKF at Long Beach again! :)

I would like to help, but for 2012, I have already committed accommodations reserved and booked for about 30 people.

If something doesn't materialize for a 2012 100 Mega fly somewhere...I can volunteer to donate some accommodations for International flyers traveling a loooooooong distance to come to WSIKF in 2013 to help make this happen. Possibly for about 24 bodies. (and that's not including the iQuad body count, which I will provide for as usual :) )

Just a thought....

We have been at Long Beach with no wind, and been blown off the beach. However, on the whole, LB can pretty well be depended on for good flying wind. Scheveningen sounds like a good place, especially if the rooms are near the beach and not too expensive. Worth further exploration.

We have been at Long Beach with no wind, and been blown off the beach. However, on the whole, LB can pretty well be depended on for good flying wind. Scheveningen sounds like a good place, especially if the rooms are near the beach and not too expensive. Worth further exploration.

My impression is that Scheveningen has lots of accommodation that is looking for events given the last few summers.

Long Beach is a very small town by comparison...

Felix

Of course, I would like to suggest 2012 WSIKF at Long Beach again! :)

I would like to help, but for 2012, I have already committed accommodations reserved and booked for about 30 people.

If something doesn't materialize for a 2012 100 Mega fly somewhere...I can volunteer to donate some accommodations for International flyers traveling a loooooooong distance to come to WSIKF in 2013 to help make this happen. Possibly for about 24 bodies. (and that's not including the iQuad body count, which I will provide for as usual :) )

Just a thought....

Hi Theresa,

Thank you very much for your offer of help. My thinking was that we should find the 100 or 108 fliers who could commit and then find the best location/date. It's a bit of a 'no win' project at this stage but I am intent on keeping the conversation about possibilities going.

I have been to Long Beach a number of times now and obviously think that it is a fantastic location but I think that we need a venue closer to a hub airport with loads of accommodation and a massive public attendance in order to realise this (****) project to the greatest effect.

If all else fails I would, of course, be delighted to find myself back at Long Beach once again... That iconic image, looking south towards the Columbia River is just magic to me!

Thanks

Felix

Scheveningen.......kid_smartass.gif

Amsterdam Schiphol Airport

Word has it that accommodation at Scheveningen could be at Euros 30 per person per night.

I wonder if Tokyo or USA could match that?

I suspect that Mediterranean sites would struggle to match that price point...

Felix

• Like 1

Hi Mike,

I thought that there was a 75ft line length limit there?

I think that the proposal would have to be about the cheapest destination for the maximum number of fliers.

Felix

I feel pretty sure we could fly on 120' if we brought in 100 fliers.

My impression is that Scheveningen has lots of accommodation that is looking for events given the last few summers.

Long Beach is a very small town by comparison...

Felix

There is a negative on Scheveningen, if the weather is nice, the beach in jam packed. During a festival it is also full. The only time I ever saw it empty was during nasty weather and late at night.

Rooms are inexpensive and there is some excellent camping not too far away.

Parking is expensive unless your hotel provides it free. Parking illegally is very expensive.

Around the fish market near the harbor you can find some free parking on the street. If you go inland a number of blocks you might find some unrestricted free parking on the side streets.

Schiphol Airport is very roughly 30 minutes driving time. There is a train from Den Haag to Schiphol Airport. There are also buses from Scheveningen to Den Haag or was it a trolley. I forget.

As much as we would like to make a trip across the pond, if Scheveningen is loaded with people, it might not be the best choice.

I hadn't considered Kite Party, but it would be a great place. If there is a problem with 120' lines, which, like Mike, I doubt very much, there is lots of beach just a few hundred yards to the north, or south of the "kite party field".

Both LAX and John Wayne airports are not far, and there are loads of rooms in the area.

I think the down side would be getting 100 fliers to go to Huntington Beach just as it was getting 100 fliers to Long Beach. Don't know.

Hunting Beach California is a great place to be in March.

Things have changed @ Scheveningen.

Space enough....no problem to have a huge arena for practice besides the demonstrationarena.

As you might know the Dutch are good at fighting against the water .

so we have made the Scheveningen Beach twice as big last years....

Hi Felix....

How are you and the team and family doing?

How about doing it in Wildwood, NJ? There's tons of beach, more than a quarter mile wide and and very long with usually, good wind. Somewhere in the middle or later September would probably be best as things wind down BIG TIME in the off seasons in the beach towns.

Hi Felix....

How are you and the team and family doing?

How about doing it in Wildwood, NJ? There's tons of beach, more than a quarter mile wide and and very long with usually, good wind. Somewhere in the middle or later September would probably be best as things wind down BIG TIME in the off seasons in the beach towns.

Hi Laura,

Team and family are just fine thanks.

I'm thinking that once we have the 100 or 2x54 fliers identified that would be the moment to look at the geographical spread of fliers and decide on the least expensive location.

It may be a long wait!

Felix

It's tough to committ to something like this with know the where first. Yeah I'd like to do it. Depending on where it is I may be unable to do it.

Bart

Hi Laura,

Team and family are just fine thanks.

I'm thinking that once we have the 100 or 2x54 fliers identified that would be the moment to look at the geographical spread of fliers and decide on the least expensive location.

It may be a long wait!

Felix