Rev B 1.5 or B 2

avellinijr

Question

8 answers to this question

Best all around - B1.5

My solo weapon of choice - B2

I wouldn't give up either of them and want Pro versions of both platforms. They're different kites and you'll want them all eventually, the 1.5 will be the more versitile platform. They both have their pros and cons when compared to each other.

It depends on what your personal preferences are. Most people will tell you the B 1.5 is the way to go. I prefer the Rev 2 which is similar to a B2. I haven't seen an explanation of the differences between a Rev 2 and a B2 so there must not be much.

B 1.5 has two frames for wide wind range set-ups. Flex in the frame makes for easier control for precision, larger sail for slower speed, and smoother flying. Works great for team flying and learning quad flying.

B2/Rev 2 has a wide wind range, but not as low as B 1.5 with 2 wrap, in most fliers' hands. The 2s have more speed and more twitch, but with practice can be fairly smooth. One of the main factors for me is the 2s have a lot less pull in the upper wind range. I learned to fly quad on a 2, but the extra speed and less time to think made it a little more challenging. I like the speed and twitch, they keep me on the edge of an adrenalin rush or toned down for a casual afternoon.

If you are looking for a change of pace and style from the EXP, the 2s would give you the most new ground to explore ... hopefully without too many lawn darts. Again, it boils down to your personal preferences and goals for the type of flying you'll be doing most of the time. Both will give you zen, depending on your mood.

If you are wanting to replace your EXP then the 1.5 or B-Series would be a perfect choice. If you want something different than your EXP but still plan on keeping your EXP around and flying it, the B2 would give you that difference in flight. :) For stronger winds the B2 is a riot to fly. Much quicker, nearly no pull and twitchy - but still able to pull of some very nice precision.

• Like 1

If you are wanting to replace your EXP then the 1.5 or B-Series would be a perfect choice. If you want something different than your EXP but still plan on keeping your EXP around and flying it, the B2 would give you that difference in flight. :) For stronger winds the B2 is a riot to fly. Much quicker, nearly no pull and twitchy - but still able to pull of some very nice precision.

The B2 is my current weapon of choice in most conditions and is also my go-to gust buster ... when the conditions fluctuate wildly, the B2 doesn't care.

You have had some good advice so far. Awinnofchange has hit the nail right on the head, it all depends what you want it for. If you are wanting to replace your Exp then the 1.5 or B-Series would be a good choice, but if you are keeping the Exp, buying a Std B would be like buying another car just like the one you have just newer and with a higher trim spec, it may look flash and new, but it will ostensibly be the same.

If you are a lone flier and you intend keeping the Exp then the B2 would probably be the more sensible investment. However if you fly with others, or see it a possibility in the future, I would suggest you look into extending your 1.5 range with a vented kite before going for a Rev II.

I haven't seen an explanation of the differences between a Rev 2 and a B2 so there must not be much.

Kind of an odd statement. Plenty of folks have talked about the difference between the 2 and the B2, and it's silly to think there's not much of a difference. The B2 is just what the name implies -- a 6' wide B-series kite with all that entails: more LE camber, deeper belly, optimized sail design, longer handles with pigtails, and two frame sets in the package. The B2 is to the 2 what the original B is to the EXP or SUL 1.5. With thousands of hours on the 2 over the past twenty years, I can categorically state there's plenty of difference...

(other folks have already answered the "which" question perfectly well!)

Fine. I've asked for comparison before with no response and hadn't seen any comparisons, thus made the must not be much difference facetious comment. Guessed B2 is a mellowed team version. I didn't want to muddy the water with my guess. Still haven't seen explanation of how they fly different in plenty of ways. For example:

wind range differences,

forward, reverse, and rotation speed differences,

pull differences,

handling at high and low end of wind ranges,

relative smoothness or precision differences, and

other observations

I've asked for comparison before with no response and hadn't seen any comparisons

You know, I'd bet that you haven't gotten much of a response because the B2 is still relatively new. So there just aren't that many people out there who have tried both and happen to have read your post. Jburka gives us the differences in specs, and we know how that translates in the difference in feel between an SLE and a B. For the record, I have only flown a B2, OPK. But I would fully expect the difference in feel between the 2 and B2 to be very similar to the difference between the SLE and the B. Jburka, care to elaborate on your response? (We've hijacked this thread a bit here, but I think the original question has been pretty well answered?)