1.5 UL ??

tino001

Hi all,

I have just received my first Revolution kite, a 1.5 SLE.

Having read a number of threads on here I noticed plenty of talk about 2/3 wrap leading edges. Could anyone tell me how these differ from the leading edge in my kite and also what the "1.5 UL" tubes are that came with it? I am guessing that it stands for ultra light and they should be used in low wind? How do they compare to 2/3 wrap versions? Also, what does SLE actually stand for?!

Sorry for the very basic questions - I am sure they have been answered elsewhere but I cannot find them!

Regards,

Martin

SLE Stands for Super Leading Edge. This is the larger 7/16" rod that is supplied with the 1.5 SLE kites. Your 1.5 package should have been supplied to you with two different leading edges, the SLE rod (larger one) and the Standard 1/4" rods (same size as the vertical rods). You can swap these rods out in the leading edge of the kite by sliding one set of leading edges out and the other set in. It is very easy to swap leading edges and only takes about 30 seconds to do.

The rods are labeled for different strengths.

2 wrap rods - labeled as "Professional Use Only" or with 2 feathers:

These rods are the lightest and most delicate and only come in the 1/4" size.

Race Rods - Labled as "Race" with flames on the sticker:

These rods are made from a different modulus carbon fiber and will spring back into shape faster than the other carbon.

They weigh a little more than the 2 wrap rods but are about as strong as the 3 wrap rods.

These rods are only available in the 1/4" size.

3 wrap rods - Labeled as "Ultra Light" or with 3 feathers:

These rods are the most common and usually the ones supplied with most Rev Kites.

They weigh more than the 2 Wrap and Race Rods and are pretty strong. Even though they are labeled as "Ultra Light" they are the most common.

These rods are available in both the 7/16" size and the 1/4" size. The 7/16" size is massive strong and has very little flex.

The 7/16" 3 wrap can be fun for solo flying and for speed but will be difficult to use in team flying or ultra precision maneuvers.

4 wrap rods - Labeled as "Strong" or with 4 feathers:

These rods are the strongest rods Rev Produces. They are also the heaviest and usually supplied in the Full Vented models.

These rods are available in both the 7/16" size and the 1/4" size. The 7/16" strong rod is near bulletproof and the kite will probably explode before this rod does.

Other rods that are available:

Green Race Rods - like the normal Race Rods but very hard to break.

Zen Rods - These rods are like the 2 wrap rods but have a beautiful carbon weave pattern on them that look awesome.

Travel Frame - 3 Wrap Rods that are half sized so you can fit your complete 1.5 series kite into a small suitcase.

EXP rods - These are the exact same rods as the 3 wrap rods but with an EXP label.

Hope that helps.

Hi,

Thankyou both for the replies, very helpful.

I removed the larger rods earlier and they have the same three feather, ultra light stickers as the smaller ones so are the SLE rods actually the large diameter 3wrap ultra light rods ?

Also, I am struggling to understand why so many people recommend the smaller rods over the SLE ones. Why is a stronger, stiffer rod not as precise as one that flexes? And why are 2 wrap rods for "professional use only" ?

I have so far managed to fly the kite up and down, left and right and to hover upright (a bit!). Anything else is proving a bit of a struggle. Would i be best staying with the SLE rods or using the ultralights? And finally does anyone know of anywhere in Kent, UK that is good for flying or where perhaps others fly too?

Thanks again,

Martin

Hi,

I removed the larger rods earlier and they have the same three feather, ultra light stickers as the smaller ones so are the SLE rods actually the large diameter 3wrap ultra light rods ?

Also, I am struggling to understand why so many people recommend the smaller rods over the SLE ones. Why is a stronger, stiffer rod not as precise as one that flexes? And why are 2 wrap rods for "professional use only" ?

I have so far managed to fly the kite up and down, left and right and to hover upright (a bit!). Anything else is proving a bit of a struggle. Would i be best staying with the SLE rods or using the ultralights? And finally does anyone know of anywhere in Kent, UK that is good for flying or where perhaps others fly too?

Thanks again,

Martin

Hi Martin,

The 'professional use only' spars are 'fragile' and may very well break in the hands of a beginner.

Lighter, flexible spars may be appropriate in low wind conditions where the flex may help the flier to keep the kite in the air.

Please do persevere with flying the kite 'up and down'. We all started there and many will have benefited from sticking with it many years down the line. It's worth it, I can assure you <grins>

Felix

And finally does anyone know of anywhere in Kent, UK that is good for flying or where perhaps others fly too?

Come along to the Margate festival 24/25 Sept and say hello to the 6 old guys flying some weird looking white Revs with colour stripes (aka The Decorators). It'll be a pleasure to help.

Hi,

Thanks again,

Martin

If I'm not mistaken, there are 2 different strengths of SLE rods! 3 feather and I believe, 4 feather!! They are in a different group than the smaller 1/4" rods! People like the thinner rods because of the flex that the rod has! It allows the sail to accept a more "bellied" shape and use the wind much differently than the stiffer SLE rods, which won't flex! Not flexing keeps the sail flatter, good for speed, not good for control!! If you watch any of John B.'s videos on the Rev, you'll see that he uses the flex to his advantage and lets the rods do a lot of the work for him!! I encourage you to keep with it, nobody sprinkled "magic dust" over any of our cribs when we were infants, we learned by a time honored way - time flying!! The more you try, the more you learn! Stay with it, you'll get it!!! It doesn't take long to learn and everything you gain is yours to keep!!

PS: 2 wrap "professional use only" rods are the lightest of the rods and will break if treated severely!! Most use them after they get past the "crashing unexpectedly" stage and they will lower your kites' wind range needed to fly!!

Wayne,

You are correct, the SLE rod can be supplied in both the 3 wrap and the 4 wrap configurations. I listed this in my post but it may not have been 100% clear. The SLE rod can also be custom ordered in in heavy wraps for stacks if necessary. I have 6 wrap SLE's in the first three kites of my custom 8 Stack of 1.5's, 4 wraps in the other 5 kites. I have swapped them out to the 1/4" 4 wrap and 3 wrap rods for light winds but I find it is just so much more fun to fly in the better winds with the SLE rods.

Wayne,

You are correct, the SLE rod can be supplied in both the 3 wrap and the 4 wrap configurations. I listed this in my post but it may not have been 100% clear. The SLE rod can also be custom ordered in in heavy wraps for stacks if necessary. I have 6 wrap SLE's in the first three kites of my custom 8 Stack of 1.5's, 4 wraps in the other 5 kites. I have swapped them out to the 1/4" 4 wrap and 3 wrap rods for light winds but I find it is just so much more fun to fly in the better winds with the SLE rods.

Kent: After reading your post closer, you made it clear, I'm dense!! But it is nice to know that I'm remembering info gained from the forum!!