Help with selling a never used Revolution I Patent Pending...

barb1948

Question

post-3819-131535223545_thumb.jpgpost-3819-131535220684_thumb.jpgpost-3819-131535218839_thumb.jpgpost-3819-13153521501_thumb.jpgI am very new to this web site, as I am looking to sell a Revolution kite I found with my father's belongings. It has these words:

Revolution T300 High Modulus Graphite Pro Series Patent Pending

I know it is first generation, but it has never been used, as some of the parts are in a sealed plastic bag.

Can someone direct me to best way to sell this kite?

Many thanks,

Barbarapost-3819-131535212079_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the Revolution forum!

Wow! that looks like a beautiful new or very close to new sail.

I have never seen a blue with black tips.

The two "AFC" rods apparently do not belong to this kite.

The winder is plastic, thus I believe it was made in late 1990 or later.

The clips on the lines tell me that it was made 1992 or earlier.

The patent Pending stayed on the kite until sometime in 1991.

A couple things more would tell us more about it.

If you can photograph the following:

- closeup of the end caps on the tips of the kite.

- a photo of an end of the center leading edge rods.(You will have to pull it out of the leading edge pocket.)

You have an immaculate 20 year old Revolution I kite. I am sure there are some people out there that would love to have it.

You can search eBay for similar Revolution kites. You have a "Rev I" (one), a larger kite than a "II" or "1.5".

You should be aware that the 1.5 size (middle size) is by far and away the most popular kite today. However, Revolution kite fliers often like to have a larger (I) and/or smaller (II) kite in their bag just for the variation. And a classic kite like yours is a kick to own and fly for Rev-heads.

Kitelife has a link to a classified ad site for kites: http://www.kite-classifieds.com/

Check out prices for new kites, for instance:

http://www.awindofch...tegory_Code=rev

Judging from eBay results - you may get $150, or possibly up to $200 at auction - or maybe not. Discount the value of the lines - no one uses Kevlar lines anymore that I know of. And the handles are probably shorter than I would use on this large kite (I cannot speak for other fliers on that.) That means, a new "kite only" package would be about $230. Add to that collector value, and subtract for aging, and you can come up with about - who the heck knows. :kid_cussing:

But I have not seen "collector value" kicking in much. The "not original" spars (rods) may be a problem for collectors. Since the kite is unused, the age should not detract much.

Personally, I would offer you a nice figure except I just bought a Rev I (old, but not that old or beautiful) and cannot justify another. (SOB :kid_frustrated: - Would have grabbed yours a month ago!)

Good luck. It's a nice kite, and someone on this forum aught to grab it. :P :P

This a real Collectors item for the real Revolution enthusiasts. If had it I would only fly it occasionally.

Unfortunately I don't have the cash to buy this one.

It appears everything except for the extra rods are original. The only thing I noticed missing is the VHS video, which may also exist.

BTW, Those lines are not Kevlar. Kevlar is normally an off-yellow color.

The only thing I noticed missing is the VHS video, which may also exist.

When did Rev start including the videotape? I know the Rev I ordered in 3/89 (just after the switch from Neos) did not include the video...

That kite is in spectacular condition and I, too, don't recall seeing that particular blue/black combo before. Good luck, Barbara!

When did Rev start including the videotape? I know the Rev I ordered in 3/89 (just after the switch from Neos) did not include the video...

That kite is in spectacular condition and I, too, don't recall seeing that particular blue/black combo before. Good luck, Barbara!

I really don't know when the VHS tape was first included. I bought my first REV I at a kite store in Riverside, CA back in October 1990. It had a VHS tape with it.

It was one of the very early REV Is. It even had the wood winder. Lines were Shanti. Rods were with metal ferrules, no Kevlar to protect down rods from rubbing the LE rods, in fact the LE rods got grooved over time. End caps were aluminum with rubber over them. The bridle required different line lengths of about 7 inches and had metal swivels for clips on the lines. I don't have it anymore, but I have a similar one made a couple years later which looks new.

The lines may be Sky-Bond(?) which was Kevlarâ„¢ covered with a Dacron or nylon sleeve. The sleeve was white with the red tracers as in the picture. The sleeve made it easier to knot, and a bit safer for any spectator who might get tangled in the lines. I don't recall that as what came with my early Rev I, but it's been a long time since I got that kite.

The lines may be Sky-Bond(?) which was Kevlarâ„¢ covered with a Dacron or nylon sleeve. The sleeve was white with the red tracers as in the picture. The sleeve made it easier to knot, and a bit safer for any spectator who might get tangled in the lines. I don't recall that as what came with my early Rev I, but it's been a long time since I got that kite.

I know the Skybond lines. I had some of those to. They are a bit thicker then the lines in the photos. Skybond were nasty lines. They would get twists in them in such a way that the Kevlar would bubble out. I quit using them for control lines and used them for bridles on a lot of kites.

Those are Spectra lines with a red thread. There were also Spectra lines with a blue thread. My REV I SUL from October 1991 came with those red striped Spectra lines. I have no idea who made them. I haven't seen either since the early 90s.

I know the Skybond lines. I had some of those to. They are a bit thicker then the lines in the photos. Skybond were nasty lines. They would get twists in them in such a way that the Kevlar would bubble out. I quit using them for control lines and used them for bridles on a lot of kites.

Those are Spectra lines with a red thread. There were also Spectra lines with a blue thread. My REV I SUL from October 1991 came with those red striped Spectra lines. I have no idea who made them. I haven't seen either since the early 90s.

I think John is correct about the lines. I used to carry the Laser Pro Sport grade spectra and it looked just like that in the picture.

As I said, it was a long time ago. I know I had some Sky-Bond lines - maybe on a dual-line kite. I never much liked them either; I thought they were heavy and had a lot of drag for their strength. I much preferred bare Kevlar since I was mostly a solitary flyer and didn't have to worry about danger to others getting entangled.

...They would get twists in them in such a way that the Kevlar would bubble out....

In case you were wondering, those are called 'hockles'. It usually refers to knobs in laid rope caused by twisting the rope backwards, against the lay, but has been extended to include fibers popping out of braided lines when different strands stretch more than others and get pushed out when the line is relaxed.

THANKS EVERYONE. I am digesting all the info and will post additional photos, and check out suggested sites for selling.

You guy/gals know your revo stuff. Thanks again.

Barbara

Barbara, I am interested! Do you have a price in mind yet?

Cath

[email protected]

252-453-8442

post-3819-131575971991_thumb.jpgpost-3819-131575970309_thumb.jpgpost-3819-131575967437_thumb.jpgpost-3819-131575966174_thumb.jpgpost-3819-131575965582_thumb.jpgThank you for your help. Here are more photos to help identify this kite so that I can sell it with accurate information.

I do believe it was never flown.

Thank you.

Barbarapost-3819-131575964819_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the Revolution forum!

Wow! that looks like a beautiful new or very close to new sail.

I have never seen a blue with black tips.

The two "AFC" rods apparently do not belong to this kite.

The winder is plastic, thus I believe it was made in late 1990 or later.

The clips on the lines tell me that it was made 1992 or earlier.

The patent Pending stayed on the kite until sometime in 1991.

A couple things more would tell us more about it.

If you can photograph the following:

- closeup of the end caps on the tips of the kite.

- a photo of an end of the center leading edge rods.(You will have to pull it out of the leading edge pocket.)

You have an immaculate 20 year old Revolution I kite. I am sure there are some people out there that would love to have it.

post-3819-131575971991_thumb.jpgpost-3819-131575970309_thumb.jpgpost-3819-131575967437_thumb.jpgpost-3819-131575966174_thumb.jpgpost-3819-131575965582_thumb.jpgThank you for your help. Here are more photos to help identify this kite so that I can sell it with accurate information.

I do believe it was never flown.

Thank you.

Barbarapost-3819-131575964819_thumb.jpg

This looks interesting.

There are a number of items in you pictures that do not belong with the standard REV I.

I think Revolution made a training stick kit very early on which I have never seen. These extra parts just might be them.

Then there is a line equalizer. This was not an item included with a REV, however it might have been purchased separately.

You should have one of the Hadzicki brothers look at these pictures and see what they say.

John

Hi Cath,

I don't have a price yet, as I haven't secured the value of the kite.... It's either a great first edition Rev 1 or a great Rev 1 collectors item...

I think if I got $250 right now, I'd sell it. (thru Paypal) AND check all photos and ask questions, as no returns.

Thanks

Barbara

Barbara, I am interested! Do you have a price in mind yet?

Cath

[email protected]

252-453-8442

Hi .. How could I contatc the Hadzicki Bros.... Do you have their website or email address? I have read some of their articles, but not find a direct contact info.

Thanks,

Barbara

This looks interesting.

There are a number of items in you pictures that do not belong with the standard REV I.

I think Revolution made a training stick kit very early on which I have never seen. These extra parts just might be them.

Then there is a line equalizer. This was not an item included with a REV, however it might have been purchased separately.

You should have one of the Hadzicki brothers look at these pictures and see what they say.

John

Barb,

Following John's comments, and the pictures, yes I'm still interested.

Let's hear what Lollie, Joe and David say. But please keep me in mind, if you still want to sell after talking to them.

Cath

PayPal is fine, if I can still remember how to use it :confused!: !!!

Nice looking kite, I have One similar age but retired due to a rip in the Leading Edge mesh.

I agree with John, the additional parts look like they would make up the sticks to go on the back of the sail, often called magic sticks or training wheels.

Wonder if Rev did supply these all that time back, it seems strange if they didnt come with the kite that an owner went to all the trouble of setting them up without ever flying it.

Not that I question the fact that it has never been flown.

And if John has never seen that colour combination it must be pretty rare.

I talked to Lolly at Rev a while ago and she said she made many of the early Rev 1's.

Will be a good buy, hope you manage to make yourself and the buyer happy with the price.

They confirmed is was a Rev 1 (patent pending) and there was not ahuge production run. They suggested I sell it with the photos of the current equipment, but would not suggest a price.

I'm sticking with $250 as I wander around the internet. I saw one for $333..... Interested?

Barb,

Following John's comments, and the pictures, yes I'm still interested.

Let's hear what Lollie, Joe and David say. But please keep me in mind, if you still want to sell after talking to them.

Cath

PayPal is fine, if I can still remember how to use it confused_1.gif !!!