New to Rev flying

Maroochy

Hi all, just saying hello!

I'm in North Wales, UK and just visited the spectacular kite festival in Portsmouth. Couldn't miss the Revs B) or Ben!

Off to Bristol tomorrow just to get another fix.

Fancy a B series Pro but maybe I need to learn to fly a basic model first!

Regards

Len

The B-series is no more difficult to learn with than any other. If you can pop for a B, then, by all means, go for it. The only hard choice is whether to get a full-sail, mid-vent, full-vent, extra-vent, or ultralight/indoor, or two or more of these. That will depend on the prevailing winds in your area and your pocketbook. Check with other flyers in your area for some good advice. :argue: This is how it will look if you get two or more of them to help. After you buy a couple pints each :gathering: .

Good luck, and welcome to the "darkside".

Hi all, just saying hello!

I'm in North Wales, UK and just visited the spectacular kite festival in Portsmouth. Couldn't miss the Revs B) or Ben!

Off to Bristol tomorrow just to get another fix.

Regards

Len

Len

Welcome to the Rev family.

Where in North Wales are you located?

Hmm. There's no reason you can't learn on a B or a B pro. If you get a pro, be advised you'll have to wait for Bazzer to sew it, ship it to Revolution for the details, and ship it to you, figure 6-8 weeks. Now, once you've become proficient, you'll realize that you might not want beginners bashing around with your perfect pro. So there's a dilemma. Maybe you are a good candidate for an exp or SLE. Used maybe. Bash it around till you know what you are doing. Order your pro immediately, and learn on the exp/sle while you wait for your pro to be completed. Or, start with a B series, learn on that and upgrade to pro later. A B series will take you a long long ways.

Regarding bashing: Revs are really pretty durable! Rods may break if you are really really hard on them. If you crash them into very hard objects at unfortunate angles, yes, they can break. But a rod costs $15-20 depending, not the end of the world. Only if you fly in ridiculously high wind do you need to worry about sail stretch or mesh tearing. (sails and mesh will wear over time, but I'm talking about what sort of damage a beginner might expect to do in a short amount of time) If your leading edge is bending like a rainbow and you are digging in your heels and being pulled down the beach it's too much.

So get something and get flying before winter sets in! :kid_content:

What'd you learn at Bristol?

Thanks for the replies :)

Number of interesting angles so I'll do my best!

I have been looking for a used Rev to learn on for a while now. My ebay bids haven't snared me a winner yet. Will probably buy a new EXP and pass it through the family once it has served its purpose. (Spreading the message!)

I know it's a personal view but some of the standard colourways don't exactly set me on fire. Hence my interest in a more high end Rev. But yes, it is putting the cart before the horse!

My trip to Bristol was very productive ;) Met up with Ben and I now have a full vented JB hanging on the wall behind me as I type this. The wind at Bristol was very variable but it's a flat calm at home at the moment. We're due some wind over the next week so it will get to fly pretty soon!

Jim, I live in Flintshire, so close to the English border that it could just as easily be in England! Most of the rest of North Wales is only 1 to 2 hrs away so it doesn't really matter. Lots of good flying beaches within the hour :)

What'd you learn at Bristol?

Well it's an amazing festival. Certainly the biggest and most varied I have been to.

Not so much Rev orientated as Portsmouth? e.g. There was a 40+(?) mega-fly at Portsmouth and not at Bristol. The Decorators gave a 6-person and 8-person display during the day. Carl Robertshaw gave a solo display using his new pattern Rev1 (I think I have this bit correct). btw-I do particularly like the patterns and available colours on this kite! Haven't seen any prices yet though. I don't think the variable wind conditions helped any of the fliers but they still gave brilliant displays.

I guess the biggest thing to learn is what an amazing spectacle a dedicated group of people can stage! They do it year by year for the joy of it and I have to give them my heartfelt gratitude for making it possible.

Apparently the Bristol Festival won't be on next year due to the London Olympics.

Since you've got a full vent "B", I'd go for the full sail "B" to compliment it!! Makes a matched pair performance wise, so you'll get the same "feel" from both! Not to say you can't mix and match, just saying they would be very much alike!! An EXP is several steps down on the scale compared to a "B"!!! If cash is a consideration, I'd look for a SLE full sail!! Remember, rods are interchangeable between all the 1.5 kites, so you can get great flexibility if you have different wrap frames to swap!!smile.gif

Since you've got a full vent "B", I'd go for the full sail "B" to compliment it!! Makes a matched pair performance wise, so you'll get the same "feel" from both! Not to say you can't mix and match, just saying they would be very much alike!! An EXP is several steps down on the scale compared to a "B"!!! If cash is a consideration, I'd look for a SLE full sail!! Remember, rods are interchangeable between all the 1.5 kites, so you can get great flexibility if you have different wrap frames to swap!!smile.gif

Ditto!!! and ..............WELCOME...... LenRsign_welcome.gif -=-=-=-=-==-=-ENJOY!!!!!