Which should I have for first timer

Bear100

Question

Hi all I have been bitten by the kite bug big time, I visited the Portsmouth uk kite festival last week and was blown away by the rev kites, I have never seen or heard of them till then and now want one:-) my question is what do I get? I want a good all rounder that can be used in a wide wind range that's also easy to use for a newbie, I have seen on eBay a rev 1 vented, can a vented be used in low wind like an unvented?

Thanks guys

10 answers to this question

Hi all I have been bitten by the kite bug big time, I visited the Portsmouth uk kite festival last week and was blown away by the rev kites, I have never seen or heard of them till then and now want one:-) my question is what do I get? I want a good all rounder that can be used in a wide wind range that's also easy to use for a newbie, I have seen on eBay a rev 1 vented, can a vented be used in low wind like an unvented?

Thanks guys

There is lots of advice available on this forum but it is difficult to give an instant answer to your question.

A Rev1 vented is not a mainstream kite. A 1.5 would be more appropriate and I think that the standard JB sail would be the best starting place.

If you are able to get to the Bristol event next weekend there will be plenty of fliers to talk to even if there is not much space for a beginner to try a kite. If you were able to get to Blackheath tomorrow c11:30am Ben might be able to show you the ropes <grins>

Felix

• Like 1

Wide wind range is the tricky bit. A full vented will fly in 8mph, with practice, but really you want 12mph or more. A Full sail will fly in 15mph or more, but be very twitchy at the upper end.

The EXP is a great starter, but you will run into the limits of the kite as you improve.

The SLE is a good kite and you can spend years refining your skills with it.

The JB is probably the best value for money as you get two frames with it. Either a 2 and 3 wrap or 3 and 4 wrap for the fully vented. Each 'wrap' adds strength, stiffness and weight. A frameset is normally about £75 so the little extra for the JB is a good investment and the kite will last a very long time. You would be amazed at the abuse these things can take.

All of the above are 1.5. The rev 1 is lovely to fly, but like a truck compared to the 1.5. A lot slower and 'heavier', they don't fly like the majority you saw at Portsmouth without some serious modification. I learnt on a Rev 1 and flew it in every wind, even when I was getting dragged down the field! Probably not a good thing in retrospect, but they only made the Rev 1 then.

Having looked at the item in question on e-bay, I would be a little concerned about the lines. They are probably way too short and too heavy, could also be a stretchier type material. Ideally they should be spectra and at least 80 foot.

I am always torn on what answer to give to this question. The very best thing would be to meet up with some flyers, and try a few things, as was suggested. You'll get a much better feel for what's out there. There are lots of variables. so, different answers. Here are 3 poss answers, my humble advice, others may give diff advice.

Answer 1, For the person who just wants to try it out, not sure about it yet, or trying to save $:

Get an exp or an SLE, or better yet track down a used B series. Start with a standard sail (non-vented) unless you regularly get heavy winds. If you get an SLE, make sure to also get 3-wrap rods to replace the SLE rods. The SLE (super leading edge) are thick and strong, fine for learning, but you most likely will not use them after a month or two. Drawback to getting SLE/exp: you will outgrow them, and then you'll be spending more $ to buy a B series.

Lines: 90 lb, at least 80 ft. spectra. Handles--13" are pretty standard. Start with those. Some like 15", but 13s are your best bet.

Answer 2, For the person who's pretty sure they're going to get into this: By all means go straight to the 1.5 B series! Easy answer. Standard sail to start, later if you get into it, you'll add a vented. The wind range of those two sails overlaps. There are lots of starter packages for the B series. These can be put together by individual retailers. They usually contain kite, 2 wrap rods for light wind, 3 wrap rods for medium wind, 90 lb 80 ft lines, 13" handles, kite sleeve.

Answer 3, you know you've already been sucked in by the powers of the darkside. This is the set up you'll eventually end up with, might as well start with it, right?

1.5 B series, race rods instead of 2 wraps, and 3 wraps.

120 ft lines, laser pro gold spectra line.

13" handles (or possibly 15", matter of personal pref)

later, vented 1.5 b series, and add 4 wraps for heavier wind. can use race rods in vented to bring wind range down.

even later, mid (one vent on each side instead of two)

and then, finally, B pros, mmmmm.

If you go with answer 3, a good retailer will be able to start with a package, but substitute your rods of choice and line of choice. Black race rods weigh just a teeny bit more than 2 wraps, but are stiffer/stronger, and so replace them. Green race rods are a little bit heavier. That's a whole 'nother topic, tho. 120' linesets are standard for flying with people. Also really nice to learn on, as you have lots of room to correct before you crash. but it's a long walk to your kite when you get a tip wrap, and as a beginner, you may be dealing with tangles, not fun on 120s. So, okay to start with 80'. Esp if you will be flying in a crowded area. At first, you'll want a clean swath to fly on, because you will crash. Don't want to crash into people. Later, it won't matter, you'll be able to fly anywhere.

• Like 1

Thanks guys

Hi

A newbie here cool.gif

I was bit serious after watching these things fly on the Tube!

Bought myself a 1.5 SLE with a set of 3 wraps and standard lines as a package.

Learned with the school of hard knocks blink.gif and the SLE, broke the 3 wrap centre spar in high winds.

Now on a set of Race Rods with the 1.5 standard sail.

The kite will teach you something new each time you fly it w00t.gif

Enjoy the ride after 5 months of flying as much as i can, the hovers get easier especialy upside downtongue.gif

In my limited knowledge (Spend as much time as you can reading this site - priceless info) the rig i bought and havw progresssed to is serving well.

Santa comes soon and maybe a B will be in his sack.

Take Care

Terry

Kiteworld uk are good and trust worthy UK on line dealers google them. I would say go for JB !.5 series standard non vented sail. And start saving for a vented sail soon as you can. The Rev 1 on ebay at the mo may not be what you want in low variable wind conditions. Revs do come up every now and then but beware and dont be tempted by the cheap nasty Chinese copies.

This is the friendliest on line community you are likely to find. Lots of help and support here.

Good luck. Persevere and you will be enthralled.

Kiteworld uk are good and trust worthy UK on line dealers google them. I would say go for JB !.5 series standard non vented sail. And start saving for a vented sail soon as you can. The Rev 1 on ebay at the mo may not be what you want in low variable wind conditions. Revs do come up every now and then but beware and dont be tempted by the cheap nasty Chinese copies.

This is the friendliest on line community you are likely to find. Lots of help and support here.

Good luck. Persevere and you will be enthralled.

Tommy,

Cannot but agree all my kit purchased from here.

Good service.

Terry

Thanks for the info guys lots for me think over......

I think I will go for the 1.5 B series, am I right in saying the B means John barresi range?

Is the main difference between a B and an exp just precision control and is the B really worth the extra coin.

Yes, B is for Barresi. Exps are really good kites, and if that's all there was we would all be very happy I'm sure. But at some point you will try a B series, and then you will have to have one, because yes they really are that good. So that's why I generally recommend starting with one, if you can afford it. As a beginner, you of course don't know if you'll really get into this. It's a lot of money to put down on something before you know if you're really into it. But consider that the market for a barely used B series is going to be way better than for an exp. There are always more used exps on the market. Know why? Because people are trading up to the B series.

:kid_smartass::kid_smartass::kid_smartass:

But start with one of those used exps if you like. Yes you'll probably end up trading up, but the exp is a perfectly reasonable starting point.

Whatever you decide to get, just know that when you first try flying it, you'll crash a lot. The learning curve is steep. What that means is, it'll be really difficult at first, but you'll be having fun soon. (PS remember the vertical rods go on the back) :kid_content:

Hi

A newbie here cool.gif

I was bit serious after watching these things fly on the Tube!

Bought myself a 1.5 SLE with a set of 3 wraps and standard lines as a package.

Learned with the school of hard knocks blink.gif and the SLE, broke the 3 wrap centre spar in high winds.

Now on a set of Race Rods with the 1.5 standard sail.

The kite will teach you something new each time you fly it w00t.gif

Enjoy the ride after 5 months of flying as much as i can, the hovers get easier especialy upside downtongue.gif

In my limited knowledge (Spend as much time as you can reading this site - priceless info) the rig i bought and havw progresssed to is serving well.

Santa comes soon and maybe a B will be in his sack.

Take Care

Terry

Hope he brings you a vented "B" to go with that full sail!!! At least I'm guessing that's what you have!!!

Thanks for the info guys lots for me think over......

I think I will go for the 1.5 B series, am I right in saying the B means John barresi range?

Is the main difference between a B and an exp just precision control and is the B really worth the extra coin.

Yes, it is a better flying kite, more snappy and precise. Also, when you take into account you get two types of frame (a frame is about £75 retail) and a better layout of panels with more stitching involved, then it looks like a bargain compared to an SLE or EXP.

You will enjoy whatever you get, but the 1.5B will provide you with more 'space to grow'. They are very tough and will take a beating, so don't worry about that.