Hurricane Irene

Aerochic

I am hearing all kinds of alarming news about the approaching hurricane. I hope all my fellow East Coast Rev Family are battening down the hatches as it seems like we're in for a rough ride. Here's hoping the forecasters are wrong and it misses us, but I am in particular worried about the Jersey Crew. The NJ Governor is already declaring a state of emergency and Antman & Family's county is being evacuated!!! :( Please be smart and safe everybody! Please check in and let us know how you fare when this is all over with.

I was supposed to be spending four days in Ocean City, MD, but it looks like Irene is heading right for us. Yay. So a mandatory evacuation order goes into effect at midnight and everyone is supposed to be out of town by 5pm tomorrow. We'll be packing up and heading out first thing in the morning. Guess packing my Warbirds in hopes of some good high-wind flying was for naught. At least I don't feel bad about never having bought an extra-vent!

I know Jay has been taking care that the Kite Loft crew stays safe as well...

It's Friday morning at 8:10Am and it is a beautiful day in Margate NJ!!!!!!!!!! Gonna be mid 80s with SSE at 10 and building!!!!!!!

No evac order here........yet!!!!!!!

Headed out to enjoy what should be a fairly empty beach today!!!!!!!!!

Reports on fun as I have them!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is some random video my son's friend shot from the other day. Please enjoy!!!!!!!!!VID00015.MP4

I was supposed to be spending four days in Ocean City, MD, but it looks like Irene is heading right for us. Yay. So a mandatory evacuation order goes into effect at midnight and everyone is supposed to be out of town by 5pm tomorrow. We'll be packing up and heading out first thing in the morning. Guess packing my Warbirds in hopes of some good high-wind flying was for naught. At least I don't feel bad about never having bought an extra-vent!

I know Jay has been taking care that the Kite Loft crew stays safe as well...

Thanks for the update, Jeff.

Glad you're being safe and only good wishes for our friends at the Kite Loft and Kites Unlimited in Atlantic Beach, NC

Cath

Thanks for the update, Jeff.

Glad you're being safe and only good wishes for our friends at the Kite Loft and Kites Unlimited in Atlantic Beach, NC

Cath

And for our friends at Fying Smiles Kites in Corolla, NC. Hope you guys got out when the order came. Check in when you can.

We're about to get our first big rain band here. 10" coming! Thank goodness Irene is weakening a bit.

This thing is about to leave NC, thank goodness. I hope Cath & Eliot Shook (Flying Smiles Kites) are hunkered down, because it appears that the eye is headed directly for them, up in Corolla, NC. The entire NC Coast, especially from Cape Lookout north, has been hit extremely hard. As we have been reminded by the TV, even though this was a category 1 hurricane, it's still a hurricane, and they call it a hurricane for a reason. Flooding is terrible, damage is extensive, power is OFF, and it ain't quite over yet. Everyone wish our NC Coastal residents the best, because they are going to need it............. blue_sad.gif

Hear, hear!!! Don't get lulled into a false sense of security, just because it's not "the big one"!! Hoping to hear from all, that things are OK!! Fingers crossed, prayers go out!!!

Thanks for thinking of us, SV, and the guys out on the coast, probably don't have any power. They got smashed, big time ! blue_confused.gif

EDIT........Oh, and no sense of security, false, or otherwise !

Left margate NJ at 6pm just to get off the island. Spending the nite in Linwood NJ.

In fact we just got back from the diner here which is still open. They plan on being open in the AM for breakfast!!!!!!!

So far so good here winds not terrible .......yet.....but flooding will be an issue as it is now high tide and the water for sure will cross over the margate causeway.

Keep ya posted!!!!!!!........

So Glad to hear that you're out of there, Rich!!! Scary night in the Midatlantic... Tornado warnings for Atlantic County, NJ right now. One touched down in Lewes, DE. Apparently the ocean is all the way up under the full length of the boardwalk in Wildwood now, and there's THIS crazy video from Ocean City, MD... http://www.myfoxphilly.com/dpp/news/local_news/fox-meteorologist-foamed-at-ocean-city

PLEASE stay safe folks!!! Also please check in when this mess is over. Wishing ALL of my east coast peeps the best of luck right now!

Well I'm having a lot of fun no power since this morning, so we are partying like it's 1899. I'm hoping everyone on the OBX is somewhere safe. Prayers going out to all of y'all.

Hey Lee, Sorry to hear that you lost power. I know that is NO fun, party or no party. We were lucky, the power went on and off, several times, but came back on pretty quickly. Other than a few downed trees, a bunch of limbs, and lots of debris, we were really spared. Take care, and I hope you get your power back, today. It's suppose to be in the mid 90's, which makes for a bad time with no A/C.

Good Luck ! blue_wink.gif

Hi All,

We're fine in Southern Shores - can't get to Corolla due to road closed through Duck. Still trying to find out status of Corolla flooding etc.

Does anyone have any news about Don and Jeri Dixon and Kites Unlimited in Atlantic Beach, NC????

How about the Kite Loft?

Thanks for all your good wishes!

Cath

post-1072-131463272963_thumb.jpg

Had a great day flying at the Washington Monument on Sunday. Clear Sky, 20mph all day. Had my Baby Rev's that I made over 10 years ago flying.

Full Vent or Baby's it was a great day.

Hope all faired as well as I did on the East Coast.

"Does anyone have any news about Don and Jeri Dixon and Kites Unlimited in Atlantic Beach, NC????"

I spoke with Don about 10 minutes ago. Everyone is fine, a couple of small roof leaks at the shop, power is on but no landline phone service.

Thanks, Kip - did you all do OK?

Corolla is open for business today - Rt. 12 in Duck had some damage but is passable ... but slow as always going thru Duck

Cath

Except for wind,Irene was pretty much a non event at our house on the western edge of Wake County. Less that a 1/2" of rain total. Took advantage of the abnormal winds (gusts to about 45) though with an older 1.5 (mylar panel version) vented with SLE on an old 120# line set. Kite, lines, and pilot all handled the gusts just fine.

Glad to hear yall made it through OK. See ya in a couple of months!