SLK'S into DLK'S into QLK'S

makatakam

Is anyone (besides me) turning slk's into dual line or quad line? Have you had any success? With which and what did you do?

:single: becomes :dual: becomes :rev_clockwork: , you know, the normal stages of evolution.

Yep, done them all including competitions. My evolution was also SLK-DLK-QLK and I still fly all of them, however QLK has the majority with about 90%.

SLK competition, was for self made kites. I think I got a 4th place.

DLK, I pulled off several 1st.

QLKs, take a look at my signature.

Yep, done them all including competitions. My evolution was also SLK-DLK-QLK and I still fly all of them, however QLK has the majority with about 90%.

SLK competition, was for self made kites. I think I got a 4th place.

DLK, I pulled off several 1st.

QLKs, take a look at my signature.

I think you misunderstood, John. I meant taking an existing slk and putting two lines on it, or four lines. Or taking an existing dlk and putting four lines on it. In other words, making the necessary modifications to convert it to quad-line.

I tried to quad a Brassington 'Solstice' - didn't work ... never quite figured out where to attach the quad lines (the Solstice is a 3d cellular SLK)

There are already two ways to transform a DLK into a QLK - the original TC Ultra bridle and Q-Flaps from Skyburner. Both have always required lots of wind for me to launch - never tried giving extreme forward. Was testing for 'easy' conversions.

Heard about a guy who converted an 11' Delta SLK into a huge DLK by using opposite sides of the kite. Story goes that when he launched as a DLK, the kite launched beautifully straight up to the top of the window ... and kept going beautifully into a nose dive behind him.

Good luck with your attempts!

My wife learned on a cheap slk diamond back inthe 90s. It had a conversion to make it a dlk. Had a long tail on it so it flew slower. I think I still have two someplace out in the garage, bought it at one of the discount stores. Very cheap$, and heavy ripstop, fiberglass bow and spine.

I'm currently working over an HQ SkySong Cool (blues & white). Added some sail to the bottom between the tips, and lost some at the peak. It was a little squirrely, so I added two keels that are kept taut by the part of the harness that connects the upper and lower attachment points, and a tensioned spreader (3/32" carbon rod) bent into a "u" shape between the lower tips. Still has some frame issues strength-wise, but flies pretty nice.

Will share some pics as soon as I have it all squared away.

I think you misunderstood, John. I meant taking an existing slk and putting two lines on it, or four lines. Or taking an existing dlk and putting four lines on it. In other words, making the necessary modifications to convert it to quad-line.

Done that too. First with a ROK followed by a REV II back in the early nineties. The ROK was the better flier overall. The REV II, I never got around to tuning the bridle well enough to fly well as a single line.

Done that too. First with a ROK followed by a REV II back in the early nineties. The ROK was the better flier overall. The REV II, I never got around to tuning the bridle well enough to fly well as a single line.

The rok sounds interesting. Can you give us more detail? Did you attach the bridle so that it flew in its normal orientation, or so that one "side" became the top and the other the bottom?

That was a long time ago and I don't have it anymore.

Basically I took one of the smaller, about 80cm ROKs with the 4 point bridle that is commonly used for fighting.

For a quad you attach four pigtails at the bridle points. Then just take your normal REV lines and attach them to it.

For a dual you need a bridle on each side coming to a single point on each side. The attach your dual lines to it and fly it like dual liner.

The REV II never flew very well as a single or dual liner. It might have if I spent more time fooling around with it.

Will share some pics as soon as I have it all squared away.

Ok, got pics while fine-tuning today. First attempt at trying to post pics.

First attempt -- no go. Will try again after reviewing help section.

It's not happening; stay tuned, will keep trying.

Ok. one more time.1.gif

post-3789-131350923193_thumb.jpg

Bought some bridle line to convert a 10 foot DLK into a quad, but that is as far as I got. This was before the internet was available and I just didn't have any info or knowledge to start it.

Could make an interesting project now though. The Delta flies like a drunken albatross as is (although it could be the pilot) so could be a good change.

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the HQ SkySong:

Took the dihedral out and made the main spar straight and it flew better. Replaced the fiberglass tube with P100 and it flies even better. I think I'll put about a five degree dihedral back into it and see if that makes it less squirrely. Will probably move the bridle out to the tips of the uprights; that should help also.