Terminology and Definitions

gobydavid@yahoo.com

Question

Hello everyone,

While looking through topics, I sometimes come across a term that I don't fully understand.

While asking for the definition of a term from within a topic has always brought a quick reply (thanks!), I think it would be nice to have a topic available where people can ask for the definitons to terms they read/heard.

This would also make for a sort-of kite-vocabulary reference, providing the banter doesn't get out-of-hand wink.gifsmile.gif

The TrickyWiki makes a good reference for kite-trick terminology, the Rev (quad) tricks are down the webpage a bit.

I'll start it up!!

Can someone define "street" flying?

Does it refer to a particular line-length or setup? Does it refer to flying in a specific location?

Thanks!

17 answers to this question

Although i could easily suggest the way a kite is set up, many folks would set up differently.

Normally on short lines and flown in a similar way to indoor flying where little or no wind, or indeed a dirty swirling wind is all that is available.

However mostly to do with location, at street level in a town, maybe a shopping centre or possibly a small park surrounded by buildings.

Attire is optional, a hoodie is not needed, however the hooligan action of most street kiters would require hidden identity :kid_devlish:

• Like 1

barf = Bridge & Roof Flying

As in flying on roof tops (get permission first), same goes for bridges as gusts can kill.

3D = anything where the kite flys beyond the "normal" window. See also Street flying and Indoor flying.

• Like 2

I'm seeing the word "grid" quite a bit these days.

<snip>

John thinks we could see 50 by the weekend. There has been no grids of any size yet this year and no talk of any springing up although I would bet that by the weekend at least one big one will go up. Most people in attendance were also here last year for the 8 x 8 so getting one in the air would not be a huge undertaking.

<snip>

The above quote is from bartman's most recent entry in his WSIKF 2011 blog.

Could someone please define "grid"?

Thanks!!

I'm seeing the word "grid" quite a bit these days.

The above quote is from bartman's most recent entry in his WSIKF 2011 blog.

Could someone please define "grid"?

Thanks!!

I think that it is illustrated here:-

http://www.revkites....sikf-aug-16-22/

The concept goes back to my communication with the Revolution Company back in 1993.

There are some good articles on Kitelife regarding the 2008 events... EDIT http://www.kitelife.com/magazine/issue62/revisions62/content.php

Enjoy!

Felix

• Like 1

<snip>

I think its amazing how much effort goes into organizing and leading even a small grid...

It really is no effort at all once the fliers grasp the concept.

On the ground at Long Beach last year it was important to get the spacing 'right' and to make sure that fliers were set to fly in the centre of their wind window at the outset. This was/is a basic principle of the grid.

Felix

I'd say Connor Doran was a good example of a soul flier, and I would describe his flying as soul flying.

added: Soul flying is "gleaming the cube" haha another obscure term to define an obscure term

Taken from the movie "Gleaming the Cube"

"the cube Bryan... it's where you go when you let go."

I'd say Connor Doran was a good example of a soul flier, and I would describe his flying as soul flying.

added: Soul flying is "gleaming the cube" haha another obscure term to define an obscure term

Taken from the movie "Gleaming the Cube"

"the cube Bryan... it's where you go when you let go."

:lol: :lol: :) I haven't seen or thought about that movie in years!! Classic :)

Maybe then it sort of means flying with no real pattern or routine, just going with what the wind (or situation) allows for and flowing with it?

:lol: :lol: :) I haven't seen or thought about that movie in years!! Classic :)

Maybe then it sort of means flying with no real pattern or routine, just going with what the wind (or situation) allows for and flowing with it?

Yes, soul flying refers to a person who flies to music with no set choreography.

I always thought of soul flying as a flier who doesn't have any music at all. Using whatever tune comes out of the speaker and making it all up as they go along. A good field director will assist you, by knowing the length of time you want to fly (in advance) and helping you with a count-down. A good sound guy is watching you carefully as well, to assist with ending the music on your mark. All together it can be hard to determine whether it was pulled from your tail-feathers moments ago or practiced for an entire season. It takes a team to make soul flying look good, not just the pilot.

I always thought of soul flying as a flier who doesn't have any music at all. Using whatever tune comes out of the speaker and making it all up as they go along.

<snip>

confused_1.gif:lol: Doesn't have any music at all and uses whatever music comes out of the speaker!! :lol::)

I follow ya! I think :)

Yes, soul flying refers to a person who flies to music with no set choreography.

In the school of flying I came from, soul flying is literal - flying with soul, visibly, with or without music.

Articles and discussion...

http://www.kitelife.com/magazine/issue31/soul-flying03/content.php

http://www.kitelife.com/magazine/issue64/soul64/content.php

http://kitelife.com/forum/topic/29-soul-flying/

Remember though - the word soul opens it up for personal interpretation, by it's very nature. :)

• Like 1