Stuffing 3wrap and 2 wrap

johnfarl

Question

I was flying in a strong wind and had both 3 wrap and 2 wrap rods in my 1.5. I had the endcaps on the 3 wrap rod ends and the two wraps were held in by friction. This was working fine except the two wrap rods kept sliding becoming exposed past the end caps which of course makes them vulerable. Is there a way to keep the 2 wraps in place. Maybe take a wrap of tape around the the ends of the 2wrap and 3 wrap rod ends. There is about 3/4 inch of rod exposed so that would be easy.

I like the way the kite flies with both rod sets in there but I am worried about messing up the 2 wrap ends.

I know I should buy a vented. Tell my wife.

Now thats what I like Alden, a good sensible solution. Better still, nope cant think of a better way of sorting it ;-)

(Alden, dont forget once you have the B series dont forget to send me cash as agreed for backing up your advice, I really think a B series is a good swap for a set of SLE leading edge sticks)

John, you mentioned the 2 wraps were sliding... Was this during normal flight, or were there some crashes involved?

I've not run into any issues with the spars moving on me, and I fly the exact same kite you have (100% stock).

John, you mentioned the 2 wraps were sliding... Was this during normal flight, or were there some crashes involved?

I've not run into any issues with the spars moving on me, and I fly the exact same kite you have (100% stock).

I think I might have had a couple of hard landings. Most sessions I do experience at least one. I think I will try the tape. I will use about 3/8" wide 1" long on each side just to stabilize and then I will not land hard. See what happens.

I think I might have had a couple of hard landings. Most sessions I do experience at least one. I think I will try the tape. I will use about 3/8" wide 1" long on each side just to stabilize and then I will not land hard. See what happens.

Just a thought, but you may find rubber bands a more convenient and less sticky alternative.

Dang, I like the rubber band solution but it probably is going to keep me from trading my SLE for another B Series. :lol:

-Alden

You could just buy a new set of LE's and presto you have a wanna be Barresi. The is whipped up pretty good and guess I will go try some rubber bands.

I found a solution to my concerns. If the 2 wrap slides just beyond the 3 wrap which has the end cap then the end of the 2 wrap is exposed if you land tip first. I do not like that. So I went to Ace and purchased some 1/4" thread protectors and put those on the end of the 2 wraps. Same solution on the bottoms of LE's on 2 lines. I tested today in about 12 to 15 mph winds and it worked fine and I was a little more at ease.

Next in line is get a vented. Please don't tell my wife.

Flew today with a 4 wrap LE in 20-25 mph in both the standard 1.5 and vented it was nice and stiff with that little bend we all love, My SLE rods are now obsolete.

Just another option if your not comfortable with doubling up the LE's

July 8th, Update: I tried 2 x 3 wrap LE's today as it was blowing 30-35 to see how it would handle ( in a reg 1.5 vented ) now while I didn't crash I did put a heavy thrashing on my kite spins, dive stops, along with allot of precision flying and some pairs with my son. we flew for 8 hours and in that time the loose LE did move slightly 2 or 3 times maybe a 1/2 inch so yes it is possible for them to move slightly even without crashing and slamming.

I think your idea if the thread covers is the best for this if it happens your protected, BTW great idea I used it today and the rubber against the end caps seemed to stop the whole slippage issue all together it takes 2 seconds and could save your LE from getting chipped in the meantime.

I give that Mod a A++

John

I sometimes add a 2 wrap LE on top of the 3 wrap I usually use on my vented. I have never had a problem with the 2 wrap moving one way or the other, but I still have the rubber washers on the outside of the end caps as I use the SLE spars in very heavy wind. When I slide the 2 wrap spars in, I have to slide them over the washers, so there is always pressure pushing the spars apart at the ends. Perhaps that is why I have never had the problem.

I think your idea of protecting the ends of the 2 wrap spars is great. I have some 1/4 " vinyl caps, but have never thought to use them for that purpose.

See you at WSIKF. We'll be getting to Long Beach on Monday, the 13th.

Jim

WOW, you're getting there early! I don't tink the fest starts until the 20th (That's when I'm arriving)

Yes, we plan to do lots of flying the week before the festival, including at Sunset Beach, south of Warrenton with Bob Serack on Friday afternoon, the 17th. We will be joined by quad line flyers Fran and Dick Wilson from Clear Lake, CA. Anyone else?

Jim

Yes, we plan to do lots of flying the week before the festival, including at Sunset Beach, south of Warrenton with Bob Serack on Friday afternoon, the 17th. We will be joined by quad line flyers Fran and Dick Wilson from Clear Lake, CA. Anyone else?

Jim

I could go for that one. I will check later for details.

well

stock there's 3 rod right!

when there's strong wind... you put just two more rod???

sorry i had to view to understand... :confused!:

there's no schema stock than ready for strong wind?

2 rods going down... should put the pro or UL set for strong wind?

i've try to put a second set of rod(3) but the hole seems too small or too tight...

if i was able to put 6 rod in place... how easily i should remove those?

thanks!

I would not use pro in heavy wind. UL, or equipped would be fine, because in strong wind, weight is not as much of an issue. 6 wrap is a little over the top, unless you're flying a kite in a hurricane. these spars should be perfectly easy to remove.

Is that what you were asking?

Spence

so if i understand well for strong wind only UL rod are OK 3 horizontal and 2 vertical. you don't put 2 more at each end of the 3 horizontal?

the shape of the hole looks like a drop... where its more easy to enter a additional rod on top C shape or under in the V shape?

next time i'll ask question with a draw... hahahah!!! ;)

I was flying in a strong wind and had both 3 wrap and 2 wrap rods in my 1.5. I had the endcaps on the 3 wrap rod ends and the two wraps were held in by friction. This was working fine except the two wrap rods kept sliding becoming exposed past the end caps which of course makes them vulerable. Is there a way to keep the 2 wraps in place. Maybe take a wrap of tape around the the ends of the 2wrap and 3 wrap rod ends. There is about 3/4 inch of rod exposed so that would be easy.

I like the way the kite flies with both rod sets in there but I am worried about messing up the 2 wrap ends.

I know I should buy a vented. Tell my wife.

The object of putting in both a 2 and 3 wrap 1/4" LE together stiffens the LE which tightens up the sail causing it to dump the air quicker from the sail thus you get less pull. Your REV 1.5 with 1/4" 3 wrap "Ultra Light" will handle quite well in very strong winds , however the sail will bellow more, dumping less air and it will pull much more.

An alternative is to use a "Revolution Equipped" (so-called 4 wrap) LE. It is not quite as stiff as the 2 rod combination, put stiffer then a 3 wrap LE alone.

The SLE (3/8") is most commonly seen in an "Ultra Light" (so-called 3 wrap) is roughly the same stiffness as 1/4" "Revolution Equipped" (so-called 4 wrap) LE..

There is also a "Revolution Equipped" SLE(3/8"). This LE is stiffer then the 1/4" "Revolution Equipped" LE. It is almost as stiff as a 2 and 3 wrap 1/4" LE together, maybe stiffer.

If you have both 2 and 3 wrap 1/4" LE you really don't need to go out and buy the SLE "Revolution Equipped" LE. But if you have SLE, use it in the strong winds. But, be sure to protect your bridle from being cut by installing rubber washers on the upper end caps.

To my knowledge there has never been a STIFF(so-called 6 wrap) on the market for a REV 1.5. This was only available for the REV I and then under special order.

so if i understand well for strong wind only UL rod are OK 3 horizontal and 2 vertical. you don't put 2 more at each end of the 3 horizontal?

It sounds like you don't understand the process of putting two leading edges in your kite. If the wind is too strong for a three wrap leading edge set (three spars) you add a set of two wrap (all three spars) in along with the three wrap set. This is usually done with vented Revs. If the wind is too strong to fly a full sail 1.5 with three wrap spars, it's time to use a vented kite.

Jim

gotcha Jim! i was confused about 2wrap and three rod... :bag:

my kite is a signature J. Barresi with 2 set of rods

2wrap = ul rod set

3wrap = pro rod set

the UL ones come stock mounted on the kite and if the wind become strong i'll put 3 more rod from the pro set right?

how to remove easily those 3 extra rod when it's time to fold the kite in the bag?

thanks!

The 2 wrap shcould be labled "pro use only" and the 3 wrap should be labled "Ultra Light". When the wind is somewhere around 3-8mph, I would use 2 wrap (pro). When the wind is 8-20, I would use 3wrap (UL). DWhen it is even heavier, I would use 3 wrap (UL) down spars (2 vertical spars), and 3 wrap (UL) + 2 wrap LE's (3 horizontal spars)