Where to buy replacement foam for handles

jg5150

Question

This may have been covered before but I did a search and came up empty. I have some old handles left in my garage and i think some critters got to them. I need replacement foam for these. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Joe

12 answers to this question

Hello Joe,

go to the IKE forum, www.ikeclub.org, and search or post there. I do know of a few "young" lads (Jeepster, Darkspark) who have ordered various handle material, including Hypalon, to make their own. They will certainly help get you what you need and answer all questions.

Just tell 'em "Dayton" David sent ya.

I make my own "snag free" handles using 3/8" aluminum. I think the rev handles are the same size. I get all my foam from www.mudhole.com.

Also, Some people swear by the double sided tape for golf handles to attach the foam. I have had nothing but bad luck with the stuff, so I switched to epoxy. Works much better (for me anyhow).

I make my own "snag free" handles using 3/8" aluminum. I think the rev handles are the same size. I get all my foam from www.mudhole.com.

Also, Some people swear by the double sided tape for golf handles to attach the foam. I have had nothing but bad luck with the stuff, so I switched to epoxy. Works much better (for me anyhow).

Thanks,

I did a search for the foam and found this.

http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Catalog/EVA-Grips/CM38-Colored-EVA-Grips

Are you using the EVA or the Hypoalon?

Thanks again,

Joe

That is the stuff. I am partial to the colored EVA. It is a little firmer than the haypalon. The black EVA is fine also. The colored EVA comes in 24" sections. Enough for two sets of handles. I just wish that offered all the colors that they do in the 1/2" ID.

How snug a fit are these foam grips to the 3/8" tube? Is there any squeeze at all? If so, here is another alternative to tape or epoxy

I am a former Bicycle mechanic and we had a trick to installing the foam grips on 10speeds in the old day and grips on bmx bikes. AQUANET! Yes that's right, your mom's favorite hairspray. When it is sprayed on heavily it is super slick, and it dries like glue...

How snug a fit are these foam grips to the 3/8" tube? Is there any squeeze at all? If so, here is another alternative to tape or epoxy

I am a former Bicycle mechanic and we had a trick to installing the foam grips on 10speeds in the old day and grips on bmx bikes. AQUANET! Yes that's right, your mom's favorite hairspray. When it is sprayed on heavily it is super slick, and it dries like glue...

They are snug but not unworkable. After making 4 sets of handles for myself I can tell you what I've learned. The handles look identical to a set of REV snagless handles I purchased, so the fit is not an issue. Getting the glue to stick is. After polishing the aluminum I mark and tape off where the handles go and scuff that surface so the glue adheres to the aluminum. These grips are no where near as tight as bicycle and or motorcycle grips and I don't think the aquanet would work for this. I use crazy glue myself but not the watery thin stuff. If you go to your local hobby store you can usually get it in thin, med and thick. Personally I use the med. The grips I found here.

http://www.shofftackle.com/evagrips.html

I am using the BR7-375

They are snug but not unworkable. After making 4 sets of handles for myself I can tell you what I've learned. The handles look identical to a set of REV snagless handles I purchased, so the fit is not an issue. Getting the glue to stick is. After polishing the aluminum I mark and tape off where the handles go and scuff that surface so the glue adheres to the aluminum. These grips are no where near as tight as bicycle and or motorcycle grips and I don't think the aquanet would work for this. I use crazy glue myself but not the watery thin stuff. If you go to your local hobby store you can usually get it in thin, med and thick. Personally I use the med. The grips I found here.

http://www.shofftackle.com/evagrips.html

I am using the BR7-375

A couple things I want to point out. EVA is MUCH harder than the foam Revolution uses. I know of sources besides Revolution that can supply the hypalon foam in black that has the right ID, but the OD is about .250 too large. Also CA glue (crazy glue) hardens brittle hard. You want a adhesive that is still slightly pliable after hardening. This is probably a major contributer to the bonding issues you had.

Remember, I am the manufacturer of the Revolution Snagless Pro Handles and have done a bit of expiermentation...... :blue-grin:

Try smearing washing up liquid on your double sided tape,the foams then slide on easy,leave them alone for a few hours till the washing liquid has dried and they will be stuck in place.Been doing it this way for a while now and have had no problems