Mega-Fly at WSIKF 2011?

HedgeWarden

How many does it take to be a "Mega-Fly"?

Seems that in the past several years, we have lines of 12-16 Rev fliers. Not planned, it just seems to happen. Sometimes on an hourly basis.

64 kites (8x8 grid) last year. I think the next day was 10x7 or 10x8 - but as I recall the wind got so raggedy that it was less impressive. I don't remember if that was a newer record - only that I sat out most of the attempt on the ground due to poor low-wind skills. (As I understand the law, at a certain age coming soon for me, I can trade in my current faulty memory modules for brand new guaranteed memory modules - I HOPE.)

Yes, so I guess my question is - any plans beyond the spontaneous group flies for large grid flies?

Spontaneous group flies definitely.

I haven't heard of any formal plans for a larger mega fly but all the rev heads will be there to play.

Howard, the record from last year was the 64 kite fly. The one the next day was 50 something (kind of what I am now).

I enjoyed flying with you last year and I hope to do it again in a couple weeks!

-Alden

I'm not skilled enough to hold and follow, so I'll just stay out of the way for now smiley-blushing.gif.

Anyone know how JB's doing in Singapore? I'm not on facebook so I haven't seen the pics yet.

See y'all next month.

He (and TK and Stevie D and Watty) are all doing well and apparently having a fantastic time :D

As far as I am aware, there are no "formal" in the fashion of last year. No PA this time out, but, in a better field closer to the main field.

But, it'll be a helluva lot of fun regardless!

Gonna have to really work on my skills. If I am able to make it, I wanna be apart of the mega fly!!

I'm not skilled enough to hold and follow, so I'll just stay out of the way for now smiley-blushing.gif.

Anyone know how JB's doing in Singapore? I'm not on facebook so I haven't seen the pics yet.

See y'all next month.

Really, if you get involved in a few smaller grids and build some confidence in those you'll find that it doesn't matter if it is 4x4 or 5x5 or 8x8 or 10x10. The skill set for a basic grid is easily attainable. I wrote all about it at length in a thread here last year and later in a KiteLife article.

I'm sure there will be plenty of time to practice during the week. You'd be surprised how much skill you really have when you find yourself pressed between others with no time to worry about what skill you think you're missing!

Real life example. In the middle of about 8 kites at WSIKF last year doing some crazy close follows led by, I believe, Scott. Scott says, "slide down vertical then inverted slide to the left." I said, "I'm not good with inverted slides." Scott says, "Just do it!" So I did it. No time to think about what I couldn't do.

Which reminds me of the other thing I heard a lot of over the last few years, "Fly, don't think!"

Bart

Read here

and here

then go to my YouTube page and check out the two videos about the mega-grid. I'm sure you'll see it is possible even if you only have average skills.

Really, if you get involved in a few smaller grids and build some confidence in those you'll find that it doesn't matter if it is 4x4 or 5x5 or 8x8 or 10x10. The skill set for a basic grid is easily attainable. I wrote all about it at length in a thread here last year and later in a KiteLife article.

I'm sure there will be plenty of time to practice during the week. You'd be surprised how much skill you really have when you find yourself pressed between others with no time to worry about what skill you think you're missing!

Real life example. In the middle of about 8 kites at WSIKF last year doing some crazy close follows led by, I believe, Scott. Scott says, "slide down vertical then inverted slide to the left." I said, "I'm not good with inverted slides." Scott says, "Just do it!" So I did it. No time to think about what I couldn't do.

Which reminds me of the other thing I heard a lot of over the last few years, "Fly, don't think!"

Bart

Read here

and here

the go to my YouTube page and check out the two videos about the mega-grid. I'm sure you'll see it is possible even if you only have average skills.

the issue is.. I don't know how to do most of the maneuver. And anything inverted, is out of the question. can't even do an inverted hover yet, let alone slides. even an upright slide! LOL!.

the issue is.. I don't know how to do most of the maneuver. And anything inverted, is out of the question. can't even do an inverted hover yet, let alone slides. even an upright slide! LOL!.

Can you hover in any direction and hold that? You just need one to get you through. Seriously. It is very basic. Try your hardest to get to wsikf and with all the flying going on I'd bet you can do the basic grid before it is over. I was terrified at the thought of even one kite anywhere near me and by the end of the first day I was involved in stuff I had only been able to watch and admire for years previous.

Bart

Aye, nothing scheduled or official this year... It's all casual, we'll do some big flies, but only as we have the folks to do it... Lots of mega flies though. :)

Honestly, I want to see Europe break the new record (64) so we can take it up another level from that, I think it's good for everyone that way.

Reminder to all newcomers - Get some 120' x 90# lines if you want to join in the fun!!! Standard team length!!kid_devlish.gif

My task of the day....making more line sets :)

PS: How many people can fit on the field at once? Inside the ropes?

Two years ago, shoulder to shoulder..I think we had about 30 before I pulled up the west boundary to make more room. But in a qrid formation.... ??

The fields are either 360 x 360 or 400 x 400...I can't remember.

Come see me Exile. I'll get you inverted flying in 30 mins.

Just do what I say and stop thinking is all I ask.

Offer stands for anyone else there also with problems with inverted flight.

My task of the day....making more line sets :)

Two years ago, shoulder to shoulder..I think we had about 30 before I pulled up the west boundary to make more room. But in a qrid formation.... ??

The fields are either 360 x 360 or 400 x 400...I can't remember.

Just wondered how many would be able to use the field (protected) at once, otherwise out to the open area!! kid_devlish.gif

I absolutely agree that "Stop thinking" is the best advise.

Exile, make it up to WSIKF for as long as you can. You will be a much better flier when you leave and have a blast getting to that level.

On top of that you will meet a bunch of nutty kite fliers.

-Alden

Don't think.... Got it.. I'm pretty sure that I can manage that. I think.. Oh wait!! I'm supposed to stop thinking.. wait.. ok.. lost......

Nutty Fliers?? Can't wait!!