My first stack - with pics

Joe B

I had a chance to make up some lines for stacking and here are some pics of my first time putting it all together over the weekend. What a blast! I used my vented, mid vent and standard in that order, from front to back. It worked perfectly, and boy, did that ever pull hard! I'm working on a video that I'll have to post later.... EDIT: Video here....

2011_07_24_054.jpg

2011_07_24_076.jpg

2011_07_24_077.jpg

2011_07_24_105.jpg

2011_07_24_144.jpg

I see you standing there, more or less upright, with your arms pulled in close to your body.

Hard-pulling kites stretch your arms out straight and try to dislocate your shoulders.

To keep from being dragged down-field, you have to dig your heels in and lean back at about 45 to 60 degrees.

Just kidding. It's a nice-looking stack!

Nice stack!

I have wondered about that sequence of kites, does having them in that order reduce the shaking of the stack when you hold it in the middle of the wind window?

-Alden

He has it right.

You generally want the REV with the least pull on the front. In this case a full vent.

At the back you want the REV with the most pull to stabilize the stack. In this case it is full sail.

In addition, the front REV you want to have the tougher rods with lighter rods as you move back.

However the rods on your last REV should not be too light as they just might break.

You will also note that you should have 7 train lines between the REVs, one on each end cap.

Now, if all the REVs are identical, you should still "try" to have the last kite pulling a bit more then the rest.

This can usually be done by altering the tilt of that last REV and/or lengthening the train lines to the last REV.

If you still experience shaking, start measuring your train lines. Each set should have the same length. A set in the this case refers to say the lines between REV 1 and REV 2 or REV 3 and REV4 and etc.

You could also measure each train line from the first to the last kite. They should also be the same length.

Correct any inaccuracies then your train should settle down a lot.

Another thing I have notice is the variation of the age of the sails in the train. Older sails which might have stretched unevenly can add to the shaking. When old sails mix with new sails this can also add to shaking, but not always.

• 2 months later...

I didn't make any adjustments at the handles, but I did tweak the upper stacking lines a bit to achieve the opposite effect (less brake). That being said, I usually fly with a ton of brake so I don't think it was necessary to let any out in my case-- I actually had to shorten the upper stack lines to get the stack to launch.

About to put a 3 stack up. Did you adjust your lines letting the brake lines out a few inches as some suggest? I've also read that's not as necessary for a 3 stack as it is for bigger stackes (4 to whatever).

John, TX