hello and thanx for reading

rossb63

Question

hi everyone im new here just wanted to introduce myself im ross im from scotland now im looking to get my first revoloution by october just have one question which of the revolutions is the strongest what revoloution can handle the most punishment as its my first stunt kite so i may be a little harsh on it ive dealt with 4 line kites before as i own an ozone flow 3m power kite

17 answers to this question

WELCOME to the Dark Side!

In general the Revolution kite is the toughest(strongest) kite on the market.

Exceptions to this would be the models designed for very light to zero winds.

As the rods are interchangeable within specific models, you would be better off with the 3 and 4 wrap rods, starting out.

The two wrap rods can be a bit sensitive to breakage thus I would suggest you wait before trying these.

A standard Rev 1.5 would be a great starter.

Hi Ross,

Its great to hear of another rev flier in Scotland. Which part of Scotland are you from? My first revolution was an EXP. It took everything I threw at it and served my son as he learned. It still has a place in my kite bag.

Hi Ross,

Its great to hear of another rev flier in Scotland. Which part of Scotland are you from? My first revolution was an EXP. It took everything I threw at it and served my son as he learned. It still has a place in my kite bag.

hi fusion im from the dundee area i was looking at the 1.5 sle even stronger acording to revolution website

. . . . .

My first revolution was an EXP. It took everything I threw at it and served my son as he learned. It still has a place in my kite bag.

I think there's one on Ebay at the moment.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Revolution-EXP-1-5-Quad-line-Kite-/260822954588?pt=UK_Toys_Games_Outdoor_Toys_ET&hash=item3cba42725c#ht_991wt_1139

IMHO ~ Personally I would go ahead and buy a 1.5 (SLE, standard 1.5, or B-series) as my first Rev right away... because you're going to buy one anyway and that EXP will probably stay in your bag! ...and the B-series comes with two sets of spars (just in case you do have breakage!) and knotted handle leaders... and again, IMHO, is well worth the extra money for the extras you get!

hi Ross.

I would get a fully vented SLE if you want a kite for high winds. This should fly nicely from about 12mph up, 10mph or slightly less when you get a bit of practice in. Being in Scotland, I would assume high wind conditions are your normal flying weather?

Full sail would be a great first kite, but if you have a high wind it gets very twitchy and can 'take off' forwards suddenly unless you are very subtle on the controls.

For you, I'd say go with a B series vented. :w00t: You won't be disappointed, unless you have too little wind.

Agree with others to skip the exp and SLE models. Those are perfectly good kites, esp if money is an issue. But what tends to happen is, people spend $200 on a starter kite, then they try a B series, and they realize immediately they need a B. Done with starter kite. Might as well start with the good stuff. Especially for you, since you've flown quads already. YOu know what you're getting into. It's less likely to end up in a closet because you couldn't figure out how to fly it. And you're less likely to break stuff because you'll do less slamming into the ground oops maneuvers. Actually the only stuff you're likely to break are rods. The rods are tough, they don't break often. You have to really work at it. And if you break one, you get a replacement. There are 5 rods, not like you need a whole new frame set. One rod is something like $15. Only other danger is stretching out the trailing edge by flying with too much forward drive or too much wind for the kite. (Beginners start with their lines adjusted for more lift, which is a little more stressful for the kite in high wind). I did this. I flew my B standard in too much wind, because I didn't have a vented yet. Oops. This was my second kite, mind you, after just a few months on my SLE starter kite. :kid_content: And then someone said, "here, try this B."

Usually people start with a standard sail with 3 wraps. RAce rods are everyone's favorites with the standard, but more prone to breakage, which is why beginners stick to 3 wraps for a bit. But if you have decent winds, definitely start with a vented. Vented revs are sweet and smooth, not so twitchy as the standard. I think they come with 4 wraps. You'll want 3 wraps as well, and as soon as you're not concerned so much about crashing, you'll definitely want race rods for it too.

Race rods in a vented will take you down into lower winds than you'd expect with a vented.Race rods weigh just a hair more than 2 wraps, but are stiffer and stronger. Skip the 2 wraps. If you are really prone to bashing the heck out of your kites, go with the green race rods. Haven't tried them myself, but they are stronger than black race, tho a bit heavier. When you decide you need to add a standard to your bag, you will use the race and 3 wraps in that. The b series come as a package, but if you already have lines and handles, you can buy them sail only or with the rods you want, ie race instead of 2 wraps.

Once you have your standard and vented and race rods, you will be set for a good long while!

(Just don't let anyone hand you a B pro to fly. :bones: )

Only other danger is stretching out the trailing edge by flying with too much forward drive or too much wind for the kite. (Beginners start with their lines adjusted for more lift, which is a little more stressful for the kite in high wind). I did this. I flew my B standard in too much wind, because I didn't have a vented yet. Oops. This was my second kite, mind you, after just a few months on my SLE starter kite. :kid_content: And then someone said, "here, try this B."

Sorry if this is off topic, but I am really curious about this. I knew you could stretch a sail flying it in too much wind, but this is the first time I've heard about too much forward drive having the potential to stretch the trailing edge. Is this a well known problem? My (limited) understanding of the dynamics would suggest that more forward drive would result in spilling more wind, which would reduce the sail pressure and make stretching less likely than with a neutral kite that is cupping the wind. Do I need some corrections to my mental model here?

I have noticed that lots of forward does tend to make the trailing edge flutter, which could increase wear in that area I guess. Is that the problem?

And to the OP, I think all the advice you've gotten so far is sound. I would guess that the most bulletproof Rev configuration would be a B-pro vented with SLE rods. That is not necessarily the best flying configuration, just the sturdiest. The B-pro's I have seen have some extra stitching and finishing details that help prevent fraying in some spots. And the SLE rods are realy tough, though too stiff for many tastes. If price is an issue, an EXP is a great kite. Mine took a solid year of heavy abuse when I was learning to fly, including flying in too much wind, too much sand, and too much water. :blushing: It still flies beautifully. That being said, I found myself doing just what others have predicted. I bought a B-series long before wearing out my EXP.

• Like 1

Sorry if this is off topic, but I am really curious about this. I knew you could stretch a sail flying it in too much wind, but this is the first time I've heard about too much forward drive having the potential to stretch the trailing edge.

I have noticed that lots of forward does tend to make the trailing edge flutter, which could increase wear in that area I guess. Is that the problem?

Yes, I am assuming(uh oh assuming) that causing the trailing edge to flutter violently with too much forward will contribute to stretch. At the very least, I would think this would cause that edge to lose some crispiness. A crispy sail is a good sail. So no, this is not a well established problem, just my thinking. May be wrong, dunno. (I'll try to not sound so authoritative in the future :kid_content: )

Too much wind is known to stretch a sail , of course. On the other hand, I'm quite impressed by how much wind abuse the sails will take without stretching much. Don't want to give OP the impression that he needs to baby the sail, just something to be aware of. Possibly a good reason for him to start with a vented, as long as he's got decent wind. My vented B has seen plenty of wind and is just fine.

You guys really think SLE rods? I'd think 4 would do just fine. SEems like false economy to spend the extra $ on an SLE so you won't break one of your 4 wraps. Kind of like paying for breakage in advance.

You guys really think SLE rods? I'd think 4 would do just fine. SEems like false economy to spend the extra $ on an SLE so you won't break one of your 4 wraps. Kind of like paying for breakage in advance.

Well, the OP wanted to know:

...which of the revolutions is the strongest what revoloution can handle the most punishment...

So an SLE seemed like the answer to his question, but not necessarily his best option. I'd think that 4 wraps would hold up just fine unless you're bashing the LE onto a hard, uneven surface at high speed. A lot. 4 wraps would be cheaper and most posters here seem to like how they fly better. Myself, I've never flown an SLE (or broken a spar). So I'll try to not sound so authoritative in the future too. :kid_content:

I've used both - they'll take just about anything you can dish out!!kid_devlish.gif 4 wraps are a bit cheaper, but both will take just about any abuse!! smile.gif I would only use the 4 wrap in a full vent - that strong a rod will lead to stretching a full sail out! If you need a 4 wrap, you'll be switching to a full vent first!!kid_devlish.gif

hi fusion im from the dundee area i was looking at the 1.5 sle even stronger acording to revolution website

Hi Ross,

I am in Aberdeenshire not far from Montrose, have been flying the 1.5 SLE for a few months now in many different conditions.

I purchased the unit with two frames the SLE Leading edge spars which are bullet proof and the 3 wrap.

Started with the heavy frame, then one day chaged to the lighter frame and it transformed the kite and my flying abillity!.

Just had 5 weeks away in France flying in many different conditions but with plenty sun matrix.gif

Unfortunately broke the centre spar on the light frame, which made me practice and overcome the hurdles of light wind flying and having to work hard to keep the kite in the air.

This was great training I now feel more confident with the kite and now hovers even inverted are done with confidence no matter what the conditions are.

Have just arrived home to a full race frame awaiting at my door, can't wait till tomorrow and i'm out.

OK Montrose beach is not a touch on Narbonne Plage on the French Mediteranian coast but what the heck the wind will be on my back and a rev in my hands cool.gif

Keep in touch maybe we can meet up?

Take Care

Terry

Hi Ross,

I am in Aberdeenshire not far from Montrose, have been flying the 1.5 SLE for a few months now in many different conditions.

I purchased the unit with two frames the SLE Leading edge spars which are bullet proof and the 3 wrap.

Started with the heavy frame, then one day chaged to the lighter frame and it transformed the kite and my flying abillity!.

Just had 5 weeks away in France flying in many different conditions but with plenty sun matrix.gif

Unfortunately broke the centre spar on the light frame, which made me practice and overcome the hurdles of light wind flying and having to work hard to keep the kite in the air.

This was great training I now feel more confident with the kite and now hovers even inverted are done with confidence no matter what the conditions are.

Have just arrived home to a full race frame awaiting at my door, can't wait till tomorrow and i'm out.

OK Montrose beach is not a touch on Narbonne Plage on the French Mediteranian coast but what the heck the wind will be on my back and a rev in my hands cool.gif

Keep in touch maybe we can meet up?

Take Care

Terry

hI terry nice to hear that there are rev fliers closer to home dont have mine yet will have it by october hopefully yeah maybe could meet up one day only problem is i dont have a rev got an ozone flow and a hq bolero eruption so could bring thoose it gets so boring flying on your own lol itd be nice to fly with some one else for a change maybe see you out there soon

hI terry nice to hear that there are rev fliers closer to home dont have mine yet will have it by october hopefully yeah maybe could meet up one day only problem is i dont have a rev got an ozone flow and a hq bolero eruption so could bring thoose it gets so boring flying on your own lol itd be nice to fly with some one else for a change maybe see you out there soon

Hi Ross,

If you are mobile, I have met up with the Scottish Kite Club in St Andrews a great fly area.

Have flown in Camperdown and Broughty Ferry a few times, but the beach is the best, if i have limited time i use Montrose as my nearest.

let us see if we could meet soon so you can try my rev before you purchase?

Send me a PM, with a contact number.

Take Care

Terry

Whichever you go for, forget just about everything you have learned with the Ozone Flow.....If you try to fly a REV like a powerkite it crashes, lots!

FWIW & All the best

Andy S.

PS - Ask me how I know! ;)

PPS - Terry, if you've not flown a Flow, why not give it a shot.....They're a wonderfully stable kite, but can still generate some serious grunt. :)