What IS it about this "Wildwood" place I keep hearing about??

Fraserx

I went once with my son (he lives in Coral Springs Fl.) and it had rained hard for a day or so before we arrived. I asked him what he thought of the beach and he said "Dad, I've seen a beach on both ends of our country and this isn't one!"

The sand is extremely fine, even made of silt or atomized dust granules, when it rains huge puddles form. You can drive on it too without a big problem. The best part about Wildwood is the size of the place, a ten minute brisk walk from the boradwalk to the waterfront is absolutely true

well its been my hometown my whole life and you cant beat the large beach great weather and friendly people and great food that are there .. any kiteflier has to fly there once to complety understand the experence first hand

Hey Ant, I'm doing a part time job, and i'm gonna look into getting some time around the seventh or eighth off to go an visit, i might just end up doing a walk on to the ferry to keep the price in a decent range. You think you would be willing to do a pickup through that weekend?

Hmmm, I think FortFlyer might be right.

Things I learned about Antman when we were doing the refueling... :lol:

It's the biggest beach I have ever seen. I never even made it to the water...

When the winds are coming off the water it is a sweeeeeeet place to be.

When they drift off the boardwalk it can be hottttttttt!

I had a blast when I was there and I am looking forward to returning.

-Alden

I GoogleEarth-ed "Wildwood, NJ" and wow - it does look huge! Fantastic stuff.

It got me thinking about a beach on the Isle of Harris in the Outer Hebrides - the big chain of almost-linked islands you see running north-south down the west side of Scotland if you look at a map of the whole country. I used to go up there for a month in the summer to stay with an aunt when I was a teenager (give my parents some peace and quiet!).

Anyway, any of you with GoogleEarth - enter "Scarista" or "Scarista, UK" and see what you get. If it works, you'll see this ludicrously large white patch which is a beach between two mountains (I can only imagine what the wind's like - it's been 30years since I was there and I can't remember now), but basically, it's over a mile and a half long and a mile wide! I do remember that they used to run an air service to the islands and the plane used to land on this beach!

Fraser