kite lines tangled

mbkite12

One thing I have found is to start working on the mess in the center of the tangle instead of trying to work one line free from the end. Usually just softly working the tangled mess out wider and wider from the middle out will take care of nearly all of the tangles by themselves. As said, don't pull hard and try to keep the mess as loose as possible. Patience is a must. Best to do if you are at home watching a tv show or something - helps the time go by quicker.

• 4 weeks later...

Another thing to keep in mind is when we get tangles in our lines, they're usually are loops around loops around loops... I never start pulling the end of a line through until I'm very close to having the knot out, and mainly try to toss the line like spaghetti, but slow-like.

In my experience, many of the loops within the knot loosen... Then without over-tightening, I work those loops back and forth, finding an occasional one that just pops out at the end [of the loop] and comes undone.

If I spend 5 minutes sorting the lines out like this on a big mess, I've usually got most of it done.

Of course, a lot of it is simply being relaxed when you do it... Agitation and knots don't mix. ^_^

Or someone is trying to tell you to Only fly Quad Line Kites... :D

I use a Pin and a lot a paitence like everyone Said Already..

It will come out for sure...

Jay

Pin sounds like a good thing to have available but maybe have one with a rounded blunt point. Then it would be more like a marlin spike ( I think that is what sailors ) This way you don't puncture the lines. I think they sell needles like that in sewing stores for carpets or some other types of heavy coarse weave materials.

alden .. i have had some nasty tangles in my day but i know what one your talking about if it was the one that i got flying on th boardwalk and the wind switched and the lines pulled tight :( i thought for sure that day i was going to lose a set of lines dues to untieable knots but after some time i got them free ..

Best advice I got on this recently from MrDenny, JohnMitchell, WindofChange and others, was tension, tension, tension. Hook onto your groundstake and tension your lines as you slowly open them out. The spectra is so slippy that just pulling on the lines sorts out a huge amount of the tangling. Of course, if you already have an obvious birds nest in the middle, staking one end and pulling hard on the other would br madness - all the 'teasing out' opreations described above are essential - but having a fixed end to work away from as you do it is hugely helpful.

I find it really helpful to remember the 'loop' thing that John mentioned too. When you think about it, the tangles can't be caused by a free end going on some kind of journey on its own - the ends will be fixed to handles or at least larksheaded to another line end (unless you just stuffed all your lines separately into a big bag! :lol: ). So in actual fact, the tangles aren't knots in the conventional sense - it's really just looping. Keeping it quite loose as you attempt to free them should help you be able to free these loops.

This sounds contradictory - 'keep it loose' AND 'apply tension'! Sorry! LOL It's more a case of freeing up the looping and THEN applying tension prgressively along the lines....

Err.... I'm all confused now. I'll get my coat. TAXI!

• 4 months later...
Or someone is trying to tell you to Only fly Quad Line Kites... :D

I use a Pin and a lot a paitence like everyone Said Already..

It will come out for sure...

Jay

Chinese chop sticks work really well. They're pointed and enamal coated. Makes opening up those birds nests a lot easier. ;)

Denny

• 4 years later...

As I had this situation before, I now carry a set of larger needles with me!! 2 of them are circular and with the help of some magnification as needed, I can usually undo most knots!!

Loops is right!! Think about it - if you larkshead your left and right pairs together to make 2 sets of 2, then there's no loose end to cause tangles!! Try this with a shorter set to see how it works - run out your lines, then put a pair in each hand and separate your arms! Most of the apparent knots will come right out! It also helps to put a finger between the pairs as you set up, to keep your sets apart!! Whatever system you decide to use, use it every time!! That way you control how they are wound and unwound!!