older 1.5 v.s. B series sail material help...

wind junkie

Question

Can anyone tell me what the diffrence is in the sail material of a 1.5 SLE over a 1.5 B series? My 1.5 SLE that i am speaking of is older and came with a 3 wrap "gold" frame in it instead of a newer 1.5 SLE w/ SLE leading edge and when i compare the two kites sitting side by side, besides the fancy stitching on the B series, they seem like the exact same materials. They even weigh the exact same. Trying to futher my light wind quest.....thanks for any input.

5 answers to this question

Did a vague like for like test with a fellow flyer and his 1.5 SLE vs my 1.5 JB (I think the vented, but can't remember). Basically tested the size of maximum wind window. The JB won in all directions slightly, both on 120' LPG. He may have had a race frame in compared to my 3 wrap as well.

As to how that translates to overall flying performance, I have no idea. I do know the JB sail pattern is supposed to improve in performance as it stretches, and mine is a shiny new one.

Can anyone tell me what the diffrence is in the sail material of a 1.5 SLE over a 1.5 B series? My 1.5 SLE that i am speaking of is older and came with a 3 wrap "gold" frame in it instead of a newer 1.5 SLE w/ SLE leading edge and when i compare the two kites sitting side by side, besides the fancy stitching on the B series, they seem like the exact same materials. They even weigh the exact same. Trying to futher my light wind quest.....thanks for any input.

As I recall the panel layout is the main difference, in that it improves the quality of flying particularly in lighter winds. Being more panels it is more expensive to manufacturer.

Also "I think" the B uses only Icarex polyester for the sail where the standard "might have" less expensive polyester material from other manufacturers.

If you were to lay them on top of each other, you'll see that the sail is cut a bit differently on the"B"!! Also, if I remember correctly, the verticals are slightly different too!! They're a bit more towards the edges, where the SLE is closer to the center!! Anyway, the changes lead to a different feel in the control of the kite!! Sorry, can't comment on materials, just know that newer SLEs are nylon, "B"s are poly!!

The way the sails are made is where the biggest difference is at. The B-Series has some special work done to the sail to help it load up differently and this allows it to fly much more precise and smoother through the wind.

As for material used, the 1.5 SLE now comes in Ripstop Nylon. Before 2010, the 1.5SLE was made from the same ripstop Polyester as the B-Series. They made the switch to Ripstop Nylon in 2010 and included the SLE rod as well as the 1/4" 3 wrap leading edge. The B-series is still made from Ripstop Polyester.

The way the sails are made is where the biggest difference is at. The B-Series has some special work done to the sail to help it load up differently and this allows it to fly much more precise and smoother through the wind.

As for material used, the 1.5 SLE now comes in Ripstop Nylon. Before 2010, the 1.5SLE was made from the same ripstop Polyester as the B-Series. They made the switch to Ripstop Nylon in 2010 and included the SLE rod as well as the 1/4" 3 wrap leading edge. The B-series is still made from Ripstop Polyester.

well that answers what i was thinking! Yes the material is the same but it seems that the way the sail is sewn the B is designed for better purpose, such as the case most people recommend a B and race rods for zero to light wind flying. I always figured same material, same rods, same kite...should work but its not. It feels good to be wrong sometimes......thanks for the help