new kites

timmyz

after weeks of reading this forum, i decided to buy some new kites. i have have i 1.5 sle that after 6 years has seen its better days. my new kites , that i have not received yet , are a full sail 1.5b and a full vent 1.5b. will i notice the difference from the 1.5sle ?

Until fairly recently the closest thing I had to a 1.5b was my old 1995 Rev 1.5 and the difference was huge when I got my 1.5b's. Going from an SLE to a 1.5b with the 1/4" rods will be a welcome change for you, I would think!

Rev 1.5 short history.

The first Rev 1.5 came on the market in 1995. It had a 5 panel nylon sail with 1/4" ID rods.

In 1996 a horizontally vented version was also available.

In 1997, the logo was change from the original curved logo to the present straight logo.

In 1998, the SLE version came on the market with the 3/8" inch ID leading edge rod. This model had a 7 panel polyester sail. There was also a vertically vented version. This was the first year for SLE rods which were also used in the SPEED series.

In 1998, the EXP came on the market with 5 panel nylon sail similar to the previous years model but with a smaller center panel.

I have more on later versions, however I will save that for another time.

after weeks of reading this forum, i decided to buy some new kites. i have have i 1.5 sle that after 6 years has seen its better days. my new kites , that i have not received yet , are a full sail 1.5b and a full vent 1.5b. will i notice the difference from the 1.5sle ?

My SLE is my most recent kite, i.e., I flew the 1.5b and 1.5b full-vent first, then the SLE. There is a hard to describe quality that defines how they differ if flown in the same wind, say 10-15 mph. I think I would call that quality responsiveness although sensitivity or perhaps just speed would also be proper. In that 10-15 mph range, the 1.5b is more responsive, more nimble than the SLE. It's noticeable but not as hugely different as the full-vent is from both of the others. The full vent in that wind range is noticeably more sluggish (or stable). I'm thinking it has to do with the loss of lift due to the vents, perhaps in a stablizing manner. I actually got comfortable with inverted hover using the full-vent. It was easier to keep inverted and in the same place in the sky, but it also was slower to spin for the same reason. On the other hand, I could fly it on days I was afraid to get the others out. So, yeah, you will notice a difference. I generally prefer the 1.5b when wind allows. The SLE is less comfortable at lower wind speed (more weight to lift?), and is flyable at somewhat higer wind speed than the 1.5b, but it's not as responsive, yet in a way, it is easier or more relaxing to fly. Maybe I don't try to do as much with the SLE and just let it float along more. To me the full vent and open mesh Shook seem to need more input when partially or fully inverted and that is easier moving the reverse lines in one knot (or you could let the top lines out one knot).

I just weighed my Revs. Remember the Zen has more airfoil due to being larger, so it's lift to weight ratio will be the best even if it is a bit heavier. Also note the vented Rev's were weighed with 4-wrap frames compared to the 1.5b.

1.5 Barresi with 3-wrap frame: 224 grams (7 & 7/8 oz)

Zen with std Zen frame: 253 grams (9 oz)

1.5 SLE: 274 grams (9 & 5/8 oz)

1.5 Shook vented mesh 4-wrap frame: 278 grams (9 & 3/4 oz)

1.5 Barresi full-vent 4-wrap frame: 280 grams (9 & 7/8 oz)

If the 1.5 SLE had the SLE LE tubes and you're getting the "B"s with 1/4" rods, the difference will be dramatic!! Nice thing is that with those 2 wings, you'll cover most of the wind conditions out there!! And if the old 1.5 SLE is not too bad, you can put one of the new frames in it and you might find that it comes back to life!! All the 1.5 frames are interchangeable, one sail to another, so try different combos out and see what makes you happiest!! kid_devlish.gif I've got both, they each have their strengths!!! So it really comes down to what you like!!!

Any word from Lolly on your SLE, I signed up to volunteer at Discover Presque Isle on Sunday 30th, so there will also be 100's of others wearing the frog t-shirts, I'm going to see where i can pitch a tent for a few days in the area. Your 2 1.5b's should cover most wind there. Mike

my 1.5 sle will need some repairs in the netting but i should be able to fix. i decided to pick up a full sail 1.5 b any way so she sending them both back to me this week. also, i had already bought a full vent 1.5 b and race rods . this is my up grade year. im hoping to get my son into kiting ,so the repaired sle will be his to learn on.

my 1.5 sle will need some repairs in the netting but i should be able to fix. i decided to pick up a full sail 1.5 b any way so she sending them both back to me this week. also, i had already bought a full vent 1.5 b and race rods . this is my up grade year. im hoping to get my son into kiting ,so the repaired sle will be his to learn on.

With your choices in frames and with those two sails, you should be very happy!!! kid_devlish.gif Son, old SLE, sounds like another possible convert!!! smile.gif