Starting a new topic?

Hello everyone,

Before I ask my question, I'd just like to say that I really enjoy this forum! There are some amazing folks flying kites around the world! :)

The Revolution Forum is the first forum I've ever joined. Its actually only the second forum I've ever bothered to even take a look at! The other one was a video game forum - wow, what a nightmare that place was.

So, I'm relatively new to this online community stuff..... Thanks for bearing with me.

It seems like everything regarding the Rev has a topic already posted about it!!

So my question is: Is it better to start up a new topic, or to add posts to an older topic?

It seems like starting a new topic has the advantage, as it will be added to the "Recently Added Topics" panel where it will stay till 5 more new topics are added. That way more people will likely see it, and more people will likely reply to it.

However, when there is a topic out there that already has a ton of good info in it, it seems like I should just add to it. I guess I could always link to it.....

What do you think? Start a new topic, or add posts to an older one?

Thanks for the help ;)

I think you will find that most people who read the forum regularly use the little link near the upper right: "View New Content"

This shows everything posted since your last visit - assuming you log in each time, or stay logged in by checking the "Remember Me" box when you log in.

I am assuming you try to read all or at least the last several pages of any topic you are thinking of posting in. If your post is an addition to that topic, post there. I've revived more than one topic since I've become a member.

If you are asking a distinctly new question, or posting about a different instance of an ongoing event (like this year's instance of an annual kite festival), then I'd say make a new topic.

It's a judgement call. If you happen to make a new topic to ask a question that has been covered extensively, you might get a link to the topic that covered it, but unlike some forums, it will be a friendly assistance rather than nastiness.

Aye, what Pete said.

If you can fit your question into an existing topic, it serves to keep continuity for everyone else (especially newcomers).

But if all else fails, drop a new post in, nobody will cut your head off... Worst case, it'll get combined with another topic, problem solved, carry on. ;)

I think you will find that most people who read the forum regularly use the little link near the upper right: "View New Content"

This shows everything posted since your last visit - assuming you log in each time, or stay logged in by checking the "Remember Me" box when you log in.

I am assuming you try to read all or at least the last several pages of any topic you are thinking of posting in. If your post is an addition to that topic, post there. I've revived more than one topic since I've become a member.

If you are asking a distinctly new question, or posting about a different instance of an ongoing event (like this year's instance of an annual kite festival), then I'd say make a new topic.

It's a judgement call. If you happen to make a new topic to ask a question that has been covered extensively, you might get a link to the topic that covered it, but unlike some forums, it will be a friendly assistance rather than nastiness.

Yep. I have never seen an aggressive or inpatient post on this forum. Just enthusiasts enthusing and sharing knowledge. Cool!!!blue_wink.gif

<snip> I think you will find that most people who read the forum regularly use the little link near the upper right: "View New Content"

This shows everything posted since your last visit - assuming you log in each time, or stay logged in by checking the "Remember Me" box when you log in. <snip>

Thanks for the tip --Pete!

I didn't realize it shows the last 10 posts, new topic or not....

Two relevant topics on Kitelife (same forum software)... :)

http://kitelife.com/...ew-new-content/

http://kitelife.com/...-active-topics/

Excellent, thanks for the links!!

After reading the above links, I especially like the "Today's active topics" link at the bottom of the page, and how you can go back to view more than just today. I never tried clicking on this, or waving my cursor over it - Thanks again! :)