next kite

timmyz

this is my first post but have been reading this forum for months. i currently have a 1.5 sle that i had to send in to lolly at rev to see if it can be repaired or if i need to replace with a new one. i have flown the heck out of this kite, learned to fly fairly well and really like how the kite handles. i wanted to get another kite but not sure which direction to go. i tried a blast 2-4 and found the kite to be too over powering and i dont plan to do any traction kiting. i already have a set of race rods for my 1.5, a new line set, and i like how this kite handles. ive talked with kent, from a wind of change, and he seems to have a great deal of rev knowledge and has been quite patient with me , but i needed a topic for my first post. so my question to all is, would a vented 1.5 sle or vented b series be a good 2nd kite? thanks . timmyz

Hello and welcome timmyz!

Funny, I asked this very same question as my first topic! http://www.revkites.com/forum/topic/4858-15-vented-b-series-vs-sle/

Based on the replies I received, either one is good. The B-Series uses better material in the sail, and comes standard with a 1/4" frame(s) which I like better than the SLE leading edge.

You have a tough choice ahead of you! Well, maybe not so tough.......:lol:

I like the idea of the 2 frame sets that come with the b series, so you would be set on frames for both kites, the sle frame from your first kite, the race frame and the 3 and 4 wrap frames you get with the vented b, also if the sail you sent to lolly is shot you may consider a sul sail as most of the flying the heck out of kites takes place in the learning stages.

thanks wayne. my current 1.5 is a full sail . i didnt know if i would get the use of a full vent. if i get a full vent 1.5, want rods should i get since i already have the 3 wrap sle ultra light and the race rods?

thanks hyzakite. most of my flying is at lake erie (presque isle erie pa.) im just trying to get this straightened out before the last week of july. i will be up there that week for vacation, and there is kite group flying there july 29-31.

thanks hyzakite. most of my flying is at lake erie (presque isle erie pa.) im just trying to get this straightened out before the last week of july. i will be up there that week for vacation, and there is kite group flying there july 29-31.

If I get the ok from my Dr I'll be there, you can't miss me I'll have a DPI frog t-shirt onkid_devlish.gif

Getting a full vent will considerably increase your usable wind range. It will get you out flying much more often, especially if you visit other kite festivals in the area with different wind conditions.

As far as rods go, the only ones that I use are Race Rods, 3 wrap, and 4 wrap rods. The SLE is completely out of the picture for me. The rod is far too stiff for my liking. I would recommend getting a vented B-Series with the 3 and 4 wrap rods.

Just so we are on the same page, most rods are about 1/4 inch in diameter. SLE rods are 1/2 inch in diameter. There are 3 and 4 wrap SLE rods, but neither are used very often these day.

• Like 2

Go with Watty's advice

If you are serious about this Rev flying malarky and you want to fly with others, you will need to get all of the 1.5 bases covered before you start thinking about the more "exotic" Revs. With your sle, a full-vent and a selection sticks you should pretty much be there. An Extra-Vent is a bit extreme at this stage but if you live in a particularly windy part of the world it may be an option for Rev #3. A mid-vent is a nice luxury but it is definatly an extravagance this early in the game.

• Like 1

I think Watty's pretty much got the frame thing covered!! kid_devlish.gif Race frame will do as it's light, 3wrap for strength, 4 wrap for when it blows hard!! Nice thing is they're all interchangeable!!! smile.gif If you got some SLE rods and are past the crashing uncontrollably stage, leave 'em out of your bag!! wink.gif

wow! my first post seems to have caught a lot of wind. i appreciate all the input. i love the sport and have more time for it now but i have to work on my technique. i should hear back from lolly this week about my 1.5 sle . if it has seen its better days i guess i should replace it with a b series. ill look for you at presque isle hysakite. ill be there all week. the week end before, july 23rd, is the beer on the bay beer festival . beer drinking is also a hobby of mine that ive been working on for years and its a lot easier than flying a kite. maybe thats the problem with my rev technique.

my birthday is july 9th so i should treat myself to the b series . i have a new 90# 85' laser pro gold line set. will this work for both kites or is there another set i should add?

I would see what Lolly has to say about your old sail first, if she says it is shot then she can send you any "sail only" you want, did you send rev the sail only or the bridle and hardware as well? The lines will work fine on all the 1.5 revs.

i sent the sail with the bridle still attached as she requested .i had just received an extra bridle for this kite from a wind of changed .the last few times i flew the kite i noticed the netting tearing more each time along with some other seam damage ,so i held off changing the bridle. have to see what she thinks i should do, but the tears were getting pretty big.

my birthday is july 9th so i should treat myself to the b series . i have a new 90# 85' laser pro gold line set. will this work for both kites or is there another set i should add?

yes, 85' lines will work fine on both kites, but if you want to fly with others, you will want a 120' line set. That is the standard for team flying. If you see another rev flyer, chances are they have a 120' line set.

thanks watty. i dont think im ready for team flying since all of my flying so far has been solo. i had one lesson when i bought the kite five years ago and the rest i picked up on my own. i can fly fairly well and im looking to expand my wind range, thats why the vented. i will keep the 120s in mind. i guess you can say im a legend in my own mind. i did check out wattyrev.com, and now i see what practice can do. i think i better step it up a notch.