Best Set up for Street.

Exile

Hail to all!! I'm new to the Forum, and in a way... New to Rev flying..... sorta.. I have a Back Tracker. Which I was never able to get to fly very well. It would fly fine for a few minutes, and the out of nowhere, it would just go nuts, and fall out of the sky. So that kite has pretty much just sat around for the last... almost 20 yrs?? Wow.. has it been that long?! I bought a Rev Supersonic Right before I got out of the Navy in '07. Because I was headed back to MT, and knew that I was really only going to have high wind conditions to fly it. They guy I bought the kite from said it was a good high wind kite.. Yeah.... It does ok, but not so much. Fun for pull and speed. But hard to manage when I have winds averaging 16-20mph, and gusting to the point I fear the kite will snap. In those winds, you can't really do much of anything but anything by way of tricks. Then I got into falconry, and got into a job that had me working a ton of hrs. So in between those two things, the Sonic never really got flown much either. I just ordered a B-1.5 Full-Vented in the hopes that I will have a little more fun with the kite with my area. To break it down. I have two Revs that never really got flown, and a third on the way that I'm hoping will break me out of the "dry" spell that I've been in for so many year

So the question I'm trying to get at here is: Is there something of a common consensus as to what the best urban/street kite set up would be? I have an aircraft hangar with plenty of space for indoor flying and there are times when I'm out and about when there is little or no wind, and it would be fun to just fly a kite right in town, as I have seen so many videos of you guys doing. I WANNA PLAY TOO!!!!! So whats the best set up?? Can I do it with a B-1.5?

A couple of questions there!!! First, Welcome to the "Darkside"!!! Indoor flying is best done with an Indoor Rev!! Really light weight and built for the indoor conditions, a little work to learn, but so much fun after you learn the basics!! For urban/street, I think most use a standard full sail "B" on shorter lines!! Haven't tried that myself except to test some lines, so I'm sure others will pipe up with their favorite setups!!

You aren't the first to have the Backtracker as a first experience with quads!!! But if you can fly it, you can fly any quad!!! IMHO!!!kid_devlish.gif

A couple of questions there!!! First, Welcome to the "Darkside"!!! Indoor flying is best done with an Indoor Rev!! Really light weight and built for the indoor conditions, a little work to learn, but so much fun after you learn the basics!! For urban/street, I think most use a standard full sail "B" on shorter lines!! Haven't tried that myself except to test some lines, so I'm sure others will pipe up with their favorite setups!!

You aren't the first to have the Backtracker as a first experience with quads!!! But if you can fly it, you can fly any quad!!! IMHO!!!kid_devlish.gif

Thank you!! Though, technically you can say I've been on the Darkside for some time. But thank you, it is nice to be welcomed. I can fly the Back Tracker to a degree... It'll fly just fine for a few min, then out of nowhere, it'll act like something came loose or came apart, goes slack and falls to the ground. When I golook at it, everything appears to be fine, reset, fly again for a few min, and the same thing happens all over again. My first actual Quad was the Quadrafoil however, and flies nothing like the Rev! LOL!

The short answer is yes. However, you said you ordered a full vented sail for your high wind conditions. If there is very low wind, that won't be so much fun. A full sail version may be in the works for your future.

I planned on getting a Standard Sail for the "B"1.5, and likely an Indoor somewhere down the line. Money comes VERY slowly these days. And with the amount of money they want for kites these days:w00t:... Almost have to save for a year before I can afford the next. :kid_cussing:So the reason I was wanting to know if there is a common consensus as to what the best set up is, is because I'll work towards that next.

So it could be done with a "B"1.5, but better to go with the full sized "B" and straight up indoor for doing any indoor work.. Ok.. What about lines, and spars?

So I could be done with a "B"1.5, but better to go with the full sized "B" and straight up indoor for doing any indoor work.. Ok.. What about lines, and spars?

I think you meant to write full sail not full sized (the 1.5 is a full size).

Don't skimp on line. You'll have more fun with a beat up used kite and good line than the other way around. Laser Pro Gold (LPG) is the standard and most common line being used on the dark side, although I have heard some good things recently about Shanti Skybond. As for spars, Rev makes a wide variety of rods that when used in different combinations can expand your wind range.

I think you meant to write full sail not full sized (the 1.5 is a full size).

Don't skimp on line. You'll have more fun with a beat up used kite and good line than the other way around. Laser Pro Gold (LPG) is the standard and most common line being used on the dark side, although I have heard some good things recently about Shanti Skybond. As for spars, Rev makes a wide variety of rods that when used in different combinations can expand your wind range.

Um... ... Sure. As I understand the sizes, 2 is the smallest, 1.5 is the mid, and the 1 is the larger. So when I say Full Sized, I meaning the 1. And fore each size, there is a B-series version, which would be the B2 B1.5 and B. Then there was the B-Pro line.. So I'm not completely understanding the lingo yet I guess. Sorry. There are a lot of acronyms that I don't understand either. But I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually. There are a lot of varients that I don't' understand yet, and I guess I was misunderstanding the product line.

So your gonna have to help me understand things here a little.

I see where you are going now. The 1.5 size is by leaps and bounds the most common and versatile. When folks talk about a B without specifying a size they are invariably refering to a 1.5. The B pro is the exact same size and shape as the B 1.5 only made better as every pro is a custom kite sewn by Bazzer.

The B series Zen is the size of the Rev I, but is only a very low wind kite, and is not going to be snappy, which you may want.

So, when I said full sail B, I meant a B 1.5 with no venting. I'm not telling you which kite to get mind you. They all have their place.

I hope this helps rather than confuses

If you look through the product listing on the home page, you should get a reasonable idea of what is available!!

The old Backtracker was very difficult!! Not much sail area to catch and hold any wind!! In fact, it's almost square, where any of the other Revs are much longer than high! Bigger sail gives more lift, tolerates the lulls a bit better!!! kid_devlish.gif

Hail to all!! I'm new to the Forum, and in a way... New to Rev flying..... sorta.. I have a Back Tracker. Which I was never able to get to fly very well. It would fly fine for a few minutes, and the out of nowhere, it would just go nuts, and fall out of the sky. So that kite has pretty much just sat around for the last... almost 20 yrs?? Wow.. has it been that long?! I bought a Rev Supersonic Right before I got out of the Navy in '07. Because I was headed back to MT, and knew that I was really only going to have high wind conditions to fly it. They guy I bought the kite from said it was a good high wind kite.. Yeah.... It does ok, but not so much. Fun for pull and speed. But hard to manage when I have winds averaging 16-20mph, and gusting to the point I fear the kite will snap. In those winds, you can't really do much of anything but anything by way of tricks. Then I got into falconry, and got into a job that had me working a ton of hrs. So in between those two things, the Sonic never really got flown much either. I just ordered a B-1.5 Full-Vented in the hopes that I will have a little more fun with the kite with my area. To break it down. I have two Revs that never really got flown, and a third on the way that I'm hoping will break me out of the "dry" spell that I've been in for so many year

So the question I'm trying to get at here is: Is there something of a common consensus as to what the best urban/street kite set up would be? I have an aircraft hangar with plenty of space for indoor flying and there are times when I'm out and about when there is little or no wind, and it would be fun to just fly a kite right in town, as I have seen so many videos of you guys doing. I WANNA PLAY TOO!!!!! So whats the best set up?? Can I do it with a B-1.5?

A full sail B-Series Pro is my preferred kite for street kiting. Here are a couple of videos on the streets with a B-Series:

Thank you Scott. That does clear things up a little. So the B-Pro, is a 1.5 just made by a specific person.

Ok. so the B-1.5 I have coming to me, as I understand it, is a full sail B. I just need to get a standard sail for it, and not a vented one for it. Ideally, if I could afford a Pro, that would be the better kite to use. Is that about right? I understand that low wind flying isn't going to be as snappy, or do you mean that the Zen but it's nature is not very snappy?

Thanks Watty! I've actually already watched a good number of your videos, as well as Johns. I see that you both use the dock. I hope that I get to fly with both of you one of these days.

So, ideal setup: Full B-Pro, LPG lines... 50# 25#? 30"?

But should should be able to at least play with it, with a standard B, correct?

Thanks for bearing with me guys. I sometimes have a hard time getting a grasp onto things that I can't actually see.

Thank you Scott. That does clear things up a little. So the B-Pro, is a 1.5 just made by a specific person.

Ok. so the B-1.5 I have coming to me, as I understand it, is a full sail B. I just need to get a standard sail for it, and not a vented one for it. Ideally, if I could afford a Pro, that would be the better kite to use. Is that about right? I understand that low wind flying isn't going to be as snappy, or do you mean that the Zen but it's nature is not very snappy?

Thanks Watty! I've actually already watched a good number of your videos, as well as Johns. I see that you both use the dock. I hope that I get to fly with both of you one of these days.

So, ideal setup: Full B-Pro, LPG lines... 50# 25#? 30"?

But should should be able to at least play with it, with a standard B, correct?

Thanks for bearing with me guys. I sometimes have a hard time getting a grasp onto things that I can't actually see.

When street kiting, I usually run 90# 30' lines. 50# lines work even better. A standard B will work for street kiting, and has worked well for me. However, there is a noticeable benefit with the B-Pro.

Ok, Exile, in your 1st post you said that you ordered a full vent "B"! To maximize your available wind range, you would want to get a "B" full sail too! There are 3 models of "B"s, full sail, midvent, and full vent! The same is available in the "B"pro line, along with the Zen and extra-vent!! Having the two sails gives you enough overlap to handle just about any wind!! That's where the different frames comes in, you can stiffen up a sail using a heavier frame or get more flex using a springier one!! The Indoor is a whole different animal altogether!! Hope this helps some!!!kid_devlish.gif

Two sails (STD and VTD) with three frames will allow you to fly in roughly 2-35 mph, given basic control (hover) and light wind techniques.

The other kites (Zen, Mid-Vent, Xtra Vent) are like having the right clubs for the job, they handle much better in their range, but aren't absolutely required.

I love each of them in their element though, no doubt about it. :)

Hey Exile, Welcome!! I too started with a BackTracker sooooo many years ago. Then about a year ago I was fortunate to get my hand on a SLE, been having a riot ever since and now I'm dying for a b-series but likewise $$$$ is tight. You'll find the larger size much easier to fly and contol so have fun and WELCOME.smile.gif

I think that I'm just going to have to actually talk with someone about this.. Someone that can show me what I'm looking at.. Trying to get a grasp on this by reading it.... just isn't working at the moment. I have an idea where to go, so thank you for that much.. I'll just have to get a consultation before I make the next purchase.

Watch it with that gentleman stuff, you'll ruin my rep. :)

Hens, the "All them other dirty words"

• 4 weeks later...

I would like to practice on short lines (15' and 30') during the evening when i can get a break from the heat. Lately, the evening winds have been fairly strong and gusty. If I were to fly on my usual lines (75'), I'd be using the vented Rev.

Do vented Revs work well for street flying?

I don't know about street - but I've absolutley had the vented B-1.5 and B-2 on 30' lines (as well as 20') without any issues (other than a smaller window).

I did run some 5, 8 and 12 lengths about 8 months to a year ago in my attempt to develop some street skills in the park opposite my place in low wind - but with gusts coming from random directions in a full 360 I gave that location up and focused on other skills. It is something I will revisit again sometime soon

I don't know about street - but I've absolutley had the vented B-1.5 and B-2 on 30' lines (as well as 20') without any issues (other than a smaller window).

I did run some 5, 8 and 12 lengths about 8 months to a year ago in my attempt to develop some street skills in the park opposite my place in low wind - but with gusts coming from random directions in a full 360 I gave that location up and focused on other skills. It is something I will revisit again sometime soon

Thanks for the reply ;)

I was watching a bunch of Rev flying vids and noticed I didn't see one street or short-line performance with a vented Rev. Figured I'd ask before i try it, as I usually only bring out the short lines when there is low low wind.

The basketball court I'll be flying at has conditions like the ones you describe at the park you were flying at.

I would love to fly on the 75' during the evening/night, but the city I live in is super broke and they will only turn on the stadium lights if you have gone through the trouble of paying for a permit. And then, they will only keep them on until 9:30 PM, so stadium lights aren't shining into houses when people are trying to sleep.

The lights over the basketball courts, however, are 40' high and will stay on 24/7, they are motion activated and turn on as needed! However, wind conditions here are all over the place. I'm hoping a vented Rev will smooth out some of the windy direction changes.