Maiden flight

belgarum

Hi all,

After my first experience of Rev flying two weeks ago with some friendly folk and acquiring a pre-owned 1.5B standard the following day, everything came together yesterday afternoon to take it on it's maiden flight!

The wind was blowing, the rain had ceased and I was actually free to fly it.

I had previously checked the brand new lines (one was about an inch longer that the others) 90# x 80'

The wind was is the 5-8 mph range with the ocassional gust to 15 and some totally slack periods - not ideal, but the penalty of being inland.

Overall, I was pleased with myself (especially as I am a vintage dual line flyer) - I largely practised take-offs and landings (including some intentional & unintentional inverted take-offs) and found it okay - I was even able to take the kite down to within a few feet of the ground in a controlled way and then power it back up.

I had one very extended period of flying when a dog decided to chase it around - Having read horror stories of dogs trashing kites and lines, I had to keep it up until the owner came to retireve the mutt. A good way to learn actually!

On one ocassion, the kite literally fell out of the sky during a slack period - must remember to move my legs as well as my wrists, and then I could have avoided the walk of shame!

One thing that did come as a surprise was the positioning of the top/power lines on the B handles - I initially set them up with about an inch on the brake and maybe 4 inches on the power but within a very short time I had to move the power lines almost all the way in to the handles to give me any lift - and even then I was finding I was using my index fingers to get even more lift.

I haven't rechecked the line lengths yet but they were certainly the same when I started - any ideas? Or was this just a symptom of fairly low (and erratic) wind? And a newbie flyer? And should I have used extended handles given the conditions?

Won't get out again today (too much to do and no wind) but looking forward to my next session.

Thanks for all the great info on the site - it's been an inspiration.

Cheers,

JP

One thing I always do with new lines is seperate them into pairs then give them a run for their money on a nice pulling dual line kite, afterwards you can equalize them. It doesn't sound like the walk of shame as much as it sounds like the wind shifting or stopping on you, Nice first kite!!

Hmmm, I know where you are coming from with the 'top lines in = more lift'. Logic says that the more angle you put on the kite, the more lift you get. Not always the case with a Rev. I flew today in some pretty slack wind to start with but had my top lines one in from the end. That's one in from maximum brake. I find this keeps the sail loaded far better and gives drive.

A simple rule I use is that if the trailing edge is blowing rasperries at you then you have too little break and are losing lift/drive. In a slack wind hovering is very, very difficult without using your legs. Oh, and you get more lift on an inverted hover.

Yes, the trailing edge was making itself known on ocassions.

Hoping to get out again one evening this week, weather permitting, so I will try moving the power lines to the other end of the leaders.

Good idea about giving the new lines a workout on a duallie - I will also try that but don't think I will get the weather or get anywhere in the next few weeks that will get my preferred duallie up.

Cheers,

JP

...will try moving the power lines to the other end of the leaders....

It might be better to move the connection one knot at a time. Otherwise you may pass up the perfect point and find yourself in a different poor-flying condition. Moving incrementally essentially gives you a "graph" of flyability where it is easy to pick the hot-spot. Keep shifting a knot at a time until you realize you have gone past that peak spot and then go back one.